Author Topic: Surgery and exercise?  (Read 3476 times)

allegro17

Surgery and exercise?
« on: February 17, 2009, 12:02:43 pm »
Hi everyone,

My doctors told me in consultations that I could return to normal activities in 6-8 weeks after surgery, provided I felt up to it, with no heavy lifting for more like 12 weeks.
From a lot of what I am reading it seems that this is not the norm and that a lot more time is reccommended/required.
This is really important to me, because my "normal" activities include heavy running, biking, swimming, and going to the gym.
What were your experiences with this and can I really expect to be able to start getting back into a routine of consistent/intensity based exercise in 8 weeks?  What did your docs say?

Thanks,

Laura

cindyj

Re: Surgery and exercise?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 12:56:45 pm »
You will find here that people's recovery experience can be quite different.  Some are nowhere near ready to return to "normal" activities even after 3 months or so, while others are quite active as soon as 4-6 weeks or so.  Don't know that there is any way to know with any certainty why certain people get along better than others post-op.  However, I would proceed with optimism that you will be able to get back to your normal activities sooner rather than later.  I'm a believer in thinking positively!  (Yes, we must also be realistic as well - it is major surgery, after all ;))

As far as my experience went, I was back to the gym for light workouts by the 4th week or so and back to tennis by the 6th week post-op.  It wasn't my pre-op level, but I was out there.  Many others here were able to get back to other physical activities fairly quickly also.  I am going to be optimistic for you and assume that you, too, will be able to get back to the activities you love within a couple of months (maybe at a bit slower pace, at first, anyway)!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 03:37:20 pm »
As I recall, my doctor lifted all lifting restrictions within 3-4 weeks.   Now, I was "cleared" to do those things, but it wasn't until much later that I felt that I COULD do those things.  Everyone's different, like Cindy said, so you may find that returning to a "normal" level of activity is different and easier to do than some of us others.  You will know.  Your body will tell you what it can and can't do after surgery.

I was told that there would be a 4-6 weeks of "recovery" after surgery.  For me, it was more like 4-6 months.  Yes, I still did some strenuous activities (I went camping at 5 months post-surgery), however it wasn't 4-6 weeks later that I felt "normal".

Hope that helps...

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 05:02:11 pm »
Laura ~

My aging body would probably go into convulsions or something if I had the audacity to take it to a gym, but, seriously, I do understand the benefits and desirability of physical exercise. 

As others have correctly stated, we're unique individuals and there really is no template for 'returning to normal activities'.  The 6-to-8 week time-frame is reasonable assuming you're in good health and don't experience any post-op complications that might hinder you undertaking strenuous physical activity.  Many of our post-op members ('posties') have participated in marathons, half-marathons and other competitive sports, including baseball and tennis.  Although they might not have played particularly well, initially, they did play and most enjoyed the effort.  The reliable old cliché 'your body will tell you' remains the best advice I could offer, having had a good (rapid) recovery from AN surgery but little experience in vigorous physical exertion, post-op.  I do walk quite a bit and I'm in good physical condition (21.6 BMI).  In the weeks following my surgery I made an effort to get out and about with frequent 2 mile walks at a local park.  It took a bit of effort some days but I'm sure it did me a lot of good.  I trust you'll be able to return to your normal active life and those physical activities you enjoy within the aforementioned 6-to-8 week time-frame.  I'm also pretty sure your doctor will urge you to do whatever you want, but to avoid anything that could be deleterious to your healing process, such as weight-lifting.  In short; you'll be fine.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

texsooner

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 06:05:23 pm »
Laura,

If you don't have major complications, I think it's reasonable for you to be able to do most things in the time period mentioned by your doctors.  I also do the same activities that you stated, but haven't done much swimming lately(too cold!). I asked the doctor at my 3 week post op visit if I could start running again, and he said "yes, but don't overdo it". I would suggest working up to running by walking for a couple of weeks(to work on your balance and stamina)....that's what I did. By week 4, I tried biking and did that successfully for a 20 mile ride. I'd say by 6 weeks, I was back close to the same fitness level and stamina that I was pre-surgery. I'll admit that sometimes I would get the "wonky head" feeling and stumbled around some during the first few weeks, but this got better over time. If you're in good shape pre-surgery and have the right mindset to get back into activities(post op), then you'll likely surprise yourself on what you'll be able to accomplish. Good luck to you on your treatment, and keep us posted.

Patrick   

3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 06:20:45 pm »
Hi Laura,
I was back to running at about 4 weeks but I had no real balance issues.  I was not and am not a heavy runner, only about 3 miles at a time, so if you are doing more mileage it will take longer to get back to where you were.  I was pretty determined to do it and I think it contributed to a good recovery.
Wishing you the same,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Seal

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 06:23:45 am »
Hi Laura,

I'm sort of in the same boat as you.    My thought is to stay in shape and almost treat the surgery as another event that I'm training for.   At least I know that if I go into surgery in top form, maybe my recovery time will be less than normal and allow me to get back earlier to normal activities.     There does seem to be a big range of outcomes with the ANs, but like everyone says, I think you will probably be in the quick recovery group since you are already working out and in great shape.     Good luck!!

Steve
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 08:02:43 am »
Laura -

although all docs seem to have their own set of rules post op, I think most of them typically say that 6 weeks recovery is the norm.  That said, the norm doesn't apply to everyone equally.  All of us are unique and therefore recover at our own pace. 

If I remember correctly, my doc gave me a 6 week restriction on lifting heavy objects.  Although I did have brain surgery, so maybe I'm remembering that wrong  :D

As Seal said, there can be a case made for people in good shape pre op having a quick recovery post op.

The most important thing in recovery is to a) listen to your doctor(s) and b) listen to your body.  You don't want to overdo it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways