Author Topic: wierd discovery  (Read 12744 times)

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Re: wierd discovery
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2009, 12:20:44 pm »
Oh, yes, I believe they moved from a large Victorian in Newmarket to Nottingham.  I had it backwards.  I'm glad you were able to save your hearing.  I almost got hit by a truck in Scotland when I couldn't hear it trying to deliver milk to the internet cafe on the brick paved alley where I was walking.  I thought it was pedestrian.  Poor guy had to honk at me!
I just came in for some cushions to sit on my front porch to read.  It's almost too hot out there today (60, but it must be 80 in the sun).  I love it!
Hang in there.  You sound a little better today, more hope in your "voice".  I have a friend who teaches drums and flute/whistle, too.  So much fun and a good outlet.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

cin605

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2009, 12:33:12 pm »
yes it is very nice in the sun.I took my sons bearde dragon out for a bit of basking.she loved it first time out since fall.He got her 2 years ago she thinks i am her God & slave.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

cin605

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2009, 12:36:05 pm »
The brat.
43yrs old

cin605

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2009, 12:47:05 pm »
next time you come this way maybe we can have tea or lunch.
43yrs old

NancyMc

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2009, 01:54:31 pm »
Oh, I love the dragon!  Yes, let's do that.  Will you get down to the brunch?  That's my goal.  Unless my surgery date is changed again, I'll be ten days post-op.
Nancy

cin605

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2009, 02:30:06 pm »
I don't know about the brunch i can not drive long distances.Maybe i can get my sis to go.is it too late to sign up?
43yrs old

NancyMc

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2009, 04:38:23 am »
Never too late.  Go to the spring brunch thread.  I'm signed up, but that's pretty optimistic thinking, so there may be two empty seats.

reg

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2009, 08:05:09 pm »
anyone ever heard of a product for vertigo called the (dizzy-fix)? i found it on a web site and wanted to know if anyone has tried it? reg
4.5 cm retro surgical removal dec 06

cin605

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2009, 01:23:24 pm »

This one is right out strange.I bought a vibrating heating pad today,when i put my head on it my eyesights will move w/ the pattern of the vibration everything will be wavey & the room will move back n forth.Can anyone explain this to me??is it bad for me to keep my head on it??

O.K. ???this happened again over the weekend this time hair dresser was playing w/ my hair trying to fluff it when she moved her hands shaking my
head to fluff it the whole room shakes w/ every move of my head??
43yrs old

wcrimi

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2009, 02:43:35 pm »
This is the way I understand it in layman's terms.   

There is a reflex that keeps your eyes focused whenever your body moves (even the slightest move).  That goes double when it's your head.  It's part of the balance system.  When you have AN surgery, the removal of one of the balance nerves disrupts that system. So instead of your eyes adjusting quickly and automatically when you move, it happens in a delayed fashion (a split second).  I experience it whenever I move my head quickly to the left, but I'm fine when I move my head quickly  to the right. When I'm walking quickly outside and lots of things are in motion around me, I sometimes feel slightly disoriented. I can see clearly, but something is "OFF" in the field of vision and I think it's related to this eye adjustment process.  It's hard for me to tell how much of the disorientation is the fact that I'm still slightly dizzy when I walk around and how much is related to this other issue, but it's probably a little of both.  You are almost certainly experiencing something along these lines when you have your head shaken. I'm not sure if this ever gets better.  The first time I visited my surgeon he said it would, but the second time he was much less encouraging.  I do some visual exercises to try to improve it (look earlier in this thread), but to be honest, it's the one area of my recovery where I have seen little or no improvement to date.  It's not a terrible disadvantage though. I just feel that at times my visual perception is off. 

Perhaps others that are further into their recovery can tell us if they experienced the same thing and whether it gets better.

1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

cin605

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2009, 09:25:56 am »
I have been ordered by my neaurologist to not move my head or neck & wear a cervical coller for next 2 weeks when i see him again.
The coller is driving me crazy.I am having pain from my head n neck down to left shoulder blade. ???
43yrs old

wcrimi

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2009, 01:23:01 pm »
The pain sounds like something is going on besides your visual issues.  I'm surprised you have to wait 2 weeks for an appointment. On the other hand, if he thought it was something serious he probaly would have brought you in right away.

1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

cin605

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2009, 05:19:48 pm »
mri results say there is a reversal of the normal cervical lordosis which may be positional or secondary to muscle spasm ???
spoke w/ him again today he put me on a muscle relaxer & now wants me to wear brace for a month.So all these head tremors were actually muscle spasms in my neck.
43yrs old

NancyMc

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2009, 05:53:33 pm »
That is such a relief!  A diagnosis and treatment plan.

cin605

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2009, 07:27:11 am »
yes.. i am very glad i decided to see him.Now if i can just get through wearing this neck brace.
Thanks for all your support.
Cin
43yrs old