Author Topic: ANs and breathing problems?  (Read 2040 times)

mk

ANs and breathing problems?
« on: February 15, 2009, 09:11:15 pm »
Hi all,

I was wondering, has anyone experienced, or heard of breathing problems caused by an AN? If yes, what do the symptoms feel like?
I am thinking along the lines of larger ANs that cause brainstem compression, which might in turn interfere with the breathing mechanism.

The reason that I am asking is that I have been dealing with a nasty sinus infection these last few days, with all the fun symptoms of headaches, feeling light-headed etc. One thing that has been bothering me is that I feel "short of breath", as if I cannot get enough air into my lungs. Most probably it is due to blocked airways, but I want to exclude the possibility that it might be associated to the AN.

Marianna

GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

sgerrard

Re: ANs and breathing problems?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 11:28:05 pm »
I don't know for sure, Marianna, but I haven't come across that before. My impression is that when you get to the point where the brainstem is getting enough compression to cause real symptoms, you are either struggling to walk, or you are unconscious and on your way to the ER. I think it is much more likely that it is bronchial congestion of some sort. Hope you get well soon.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 04:21:33 am »
hi is your AN large? mine was over 4.5 cm and pressing on the brainstem, i had no breathing problems, but i did have alot of sinus infections and i was block up alot of the time.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 03:56:01 pm »
Marianna ~

I'm not a doctor, nurse or orderly but I suspect your breathing problems are not related to your irraidated AN.  As the eminent Global Moderator Steve noted, for an acoustic neuroma to affect breathing, there would have to be serious brainstem compression and you would have other, acute symptoms.  My AN was 4.5 cm and 'pressing pretty hard on the brainstem', as my surgeon put it.  Yet I had no breathing problems prior to my surgery.  Loss of balance, loss of taste, stabbing pains at the AN site, yes, but no breathing problems.  Some tests might offer a more definitive answer to your question but as a non-physician, I'll venture the opinion (worth what you paid for it) that your breathing problems are directly related to your sinus infection.  I hope that clears up very soon because it sounds unpleasant.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.