Author Topic: Health problems come from emotional issues ?  (Read 9381 times)

Pascale

Health problems come from emotional issues ?
« on: February 13, 2009, 02:00:16 pm »
Hello everyone,

I have been trying to do a little research on the reasons WHY we get tumors and thyroid nodules and ovarian cysts etc...(I had them all) :o

Anyways, I have read in many sites and books and talked to many holistic doctors, and Reiki practitioners that the emotions and how we deal with problems in our life strongly affect the body.
Let's take my AN for example:

I have been told that it could have been cause from the fact that I am trying to "block" something such as people that talk to me that I do not wish to listen. When I started talking about it I realized there is a specific person in my life that always bothers me and has a very strong personality. The type of people that even if you tell your point of view they would go against it, showing they are always right, put you down and never believe in what you say and complain on how you do/decide to run your life.
You guessed it: MY MOM. She is a good person but her personality is hard to handle.

Therefore, since my mom and dad have been divorced since I was 15 (I'm now 27) I lived with her alone mostly of my life. I had to listen to all her problems and complains about everything in regards to my dad, my brothers and sisters (dad side that she would always bad mouth behind their back) boyfriends, my husband etc...I have realized that I would always try to think of something else (something good about another topic) whenever she is talking to me so that I don't have to listen. And the funny part is, is that my AN is on the right side and I was the one to always drive the car to her work, pick her up, got to the groceries with her, travel, etc...so she was always sitting on my right.

Anyways, In regards to my thyroid nodule, I believe it comes from the fact that I would hold back and not say the things I wanted to say to her because I knew she would either go against me, not believe me or turn it into a negative thing. So by keeping these emotions in my throat, by not releasing my thought, the cells started to get "stuck" in there causing the nodule.

MY QUESTION TO YOU IS: In regards to the AN, can you think of ANYTHING in your life that makes you "block" the hearing? because of someone that you are close to at work/ family/friends etc...Someone that is constantly in your life.

Please really take the time to think and let me know. I am very interested in knowing  :D

Anyways, thanks for reading!  ;)
2.1 x 1.8 x 1.7 cm AN.
CyberKnife treatment completed on 09/12/2008 with Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs at Stanford.

:D

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Health problems come from emotional issues ?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 02:21:33 pm »
Hey Pascale,
great to see you. thanks for understanding why I moved this thread from "Radiation/Radiosurgery" to this forum... I think you will definately get a wider scope of responses here.

Like you, had a thyroid nodule on my left side of thyroid... surgically removed back in 1998 (t'is was benign)... I took very ill as of (wow!) exactly 8 yrs ago... March 12, 2001.  I can think of things, emotionally, that were going on with me during the timeframe leading up to my first round of major illness/diagnosis (not my AN). 

I also believe in the mind/body connection.

I have my own theories on this but I'm going to reserve comment now and see how others respond. 

Hang in there.. and btw, great to see you!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 03:11:50 pm »
Pascale:

Science has long since proven that there is a connection between emotions and physical maladies.  However, I'm skeptical about attributing the development of tumors in specific parts of the body directly to emotional stresses that can be related to that part of the body, i.e. your hypothesis that not speaking your mind to your domineering mother somehow generated a nodule on your thyroid gland.  Of course that's possible, but the correlation seems a bit too convenient, although I'm not a doctor and certainly could be wrong. 

Regarding my acoustic neuroma; I never 'held back' much of anything and aside from occasional work and/or financial pressures that came and went over the years, I pretty much did what I wanted.  I did not tolerate fools and, admittedly, I was a bit 'hot-headed' in my younger years.  My wife tells me I've 'mellowed' in the last decade or so.  I'm glad.  Being easily angered can be stressful, I know, although I've always enjoyed good health.  Besides, when you are quick to anger, you spend a lot of time apologizing.  Better to control the emotion and the urge to lash out.  I was never frustrated over my job (I loved it, most of the time), my marriage has always been stable and loving, (now in our 39th year) and my only son (now 29) was never a 'problem'.  Although we're hardly affluent, our financial situation is stable and our income is adequate for our needs.  Looking back, I just can't see any credible connection between my emotions and the tumor that grew from the sheathing on my 8th cranial nerve.  That connection may well exist but until it's proven, I have to , if not discount, at least remain highly skeptical of the theory.  I'm sure others will have different opinions.  It should be interesting.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 05:05:06 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 03:52:51 pm »
Hi, Pascale,

You ask: "In regards to the AN, can you think of ANYTHING in your life that makes you 'block' the hearing?"

No, I cannot.

I guess I've been fortunate and blessed that I haven't had to deal long-term with many people whom I've considered annoying or otherwise unpleasant/disconcerting to be around. I would venture to say that if that scenario could cause acoustic neuromas, more than 1 per 100,000 population would be diagnosed each year.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 03:54:02 pm »
Pascale~
Hi!
I had a large AN and thyroid trouble - I had my thyroid removed in June of 2006.  I have really thought about it, but cannot think of ANYTHING like what you are referring to.  I certainly am not one to repress my thoughts (unfortunately, I am more the other way but getting better!) and/or feelings.  Thyroid problems are hereditary in our family so I knew it was only a matter of time.  In fact, that is why they went ahead & removed the whole thing, even though they said they could leave it for a while - it was pretty inevitable that I would eventually have to have the whole thing removed and Dave & I figured that I would recover from surgery better at 35 than 45 or 55!  I will say that I have had PLENTY of surgeries and I would recommend thyroid as the best/easiest one I have had!!   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 04:27:08 pm »
Hi there Pascale:   I know I've had a similar problem with a different family member,  but how come only I got the AN & not my brothers, sister ?
I'm the only one with a history of benign tumor growths,  so I can't say that it was because of a loud, litigious
member of my family.   I believe I just happened to get a 'crazy' chromosome that produces benign tumors.

Always good thoughts,    Nancy
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 04:42:45 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Pascale

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 05:07:31 pm »
Hello

Tks for the replies :D

I thought my post got deleted because of the "personal opinion" from one another that could have caused a problem for the forum  ::) But thanks for moving it , makes more sense to be placed here  ;)

Ok, so I guess everyone is different and I do think also that it can be hereditary....I'm just always so annoyed when my mom is around to me, I feel I can't be myself or she will start criticizing me.

Well, I'm eager to know what others will say heheheh  especially you Phyl!!!  ;D

And Nancy, If I had to apply my "theory" to why you were the one getting the tumors and not  your bothers and sisters, it could be because you are more sensitive and vulnerable. The same situation applies to me. I have 3 sisters and 2 brothers that are all 100% healthy.... >:(  8)

2.1 x 1.8 x 1.7 cm AN.
CyberKnife treatment completed on 09/12/2008 with Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs at Stanford.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 07:10:58 pm »
Hi there Pascale:  Yes,  I am quite sensitive,  much less vulnurable at 53 y.o. (thank God),
however,  like my brothers,  I have always been a very independent person.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy

ps:  Pascale:   My mother still criticizes me at 53 & now I just have to laugh at her caring so much for me ! 
I don't take it personal anymore,  that's just how they were raised & I love my mom's input, however it could be
more subtle ! !    Mom IS very fashion savvy,  much more than me,   so I do take her advice (as I took her mother's
many years ago....)     I know at least the next 10 - 20 years  mom will still be criticizing the hair, clothes, weight,  etc.,
but,   that's mom & I love her...   So start laughing,   & thank her when she's right.   & take a deep, cleansing breath,
it's sooooo relaxing !
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 07:19:20 pm by nancyann »
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 07:21:10 pm »
Pasquale,
I get exactly what your saying.  I have a similar kind of mom.  I think that has more to do with the luck of the draw than the AN though!  That being said, I'm sure that the stress I've had in my life is not unrelated to medical problems.  After my surgery I have a different attitude and I don't take myself too seriously, nor do I let negative people take me down with them.  It's working pretty well; another silver lining to all of this.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 07:30:55 pm »
Marci,  You are so right about the 'different attitude,'  the 'silver lining.'
I feel blessed for all I have,   &,    'laughter is the best medicine', as we
all know !
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 04:25:13 pm »
When I was 23 I landed in the emergency room and had to have my appendix out. One of the questions the ER doc asked was whether I was under a lot of stress. Well at that time my then-husband had been arrested for stealing narcotics from the veterinary school where he was enrolled and was in the hospital for detoxification. I just started to cry and the doctor said "I thought so."

I don't think that all health problems are caused by stress, but it can sure contribute.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jill Marie

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 12:44:47 pm »
If the theory works I must have been one really sensitive child as my Facial Nerve Tumor started growing before I even made it to first grade.  I do believe our emotions can affect our health but I don't think it does to the extent of causing tumors.  Sure seems like a lot of us have thyroid issues, I've been on medicine for over 15 years because mine doesn't work hard enough. I also was, believe it or not, allergic to the cold until I was 6.  Couldn't go outside unless it was at least 55 degrees out or I would get really sick.  The doctors told my parents that I wasn't sick, just spoiled, yea, the youngest of 4, Mom had no time to spoil me.   Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 01:04:31 pm »
While it's a very interesting concept, I can't believe that health problems come from emotional issues; at least not serious health problems like an acoustic neuroma.

I think it's quite possible to get a minor "illness" like an upset stomach or irritable bowel syndrome from stress and worrying, but developing a tumor in your ear because you want to tune people out?  I just can't accept that.  IMO that would be like saying I don't want to see my niece's husband with the piercing in his eyebrow because it grosses me out, so I developed blindness  :D   (Note - I'm not laughing here about the possibility of being blind, just the ludicrous idea of my example).

As far as Phyl deleting this post, I have never known her to delete a post because of a "personal opinion".  There are numerous posts on the forum that are nothing but personal opinion - especially since most of us aren't medical professionals and also because we discuss much more here than just acoustic neuromas.

Phyl may be a moderator, but she doesn't moderate with a heavy hand and usually it's only to censor posts when it becomes necessary or to get us back on topic.

Jan
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 01:06:57 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 03:28:11 pm »
*cracks whip* :D  Thanks Jan... as you note, only when needed :)

I've been giving this subject a lot of thought and still reserving my comments for now.  I'm listening to what everyone say intently as everyone makes perfect sense on this... and there are times I cannot make perfect sense of the correlation of illness to emotional impacts/traumas in our lives.  I still firmly believe (an opinion! Oh my!  :o ) there is a mind/body connection but I have yet to hear any true professional bring forth the science to back it up... unless someone shares it here, as it pertains to AN's (let's keep it to AN's for sake of website and discussion, to keep a common denominator).

Thanks!
Phyl

As far as Phyl deleting this post, I have never known her to delete a post because of a "personal opinion".  There are numerous posts on the forum that are nothing but personal opinion - especially since most of us aren't medical professionals and also because we discuss much more here than just acoustic neuromas.

Phyl may be a moderator, but she doesn't moderate with a heavy hand and usually it's only to censor posts when it becomes necessary or to get us back on topic.

Jan
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Pascale

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 03:34:41 pm »
Hey  everyone,

Good to know what people think of what I said. It's definetly something that I thought to the reason WHY I had it and not anyone else. I guess sometimes we can feel pretty down and having more troubles and stress in our life it just makes it worse.

Jan, I know Phyl would never delete a post for being "bad". I'm just new and didn't know if it would interfere as I've been to other forums where they say to "keep it to the symptoms and treatments" topic. But I laughed at your piercing and blindness theory hehehe and you are right, it would be crazy if it did get you blind  8)

Anyways, I try to take a deeeeeep breath whenever I listen to what she has to say and will keep on trying to relax. I do beleive my mom has many good things to teach me and definetly wiser then me and wants the best for her kids. I guess sometimes she can be very scary and confronting.

2.1 x 1.8 x 1.7 cm AN.