Author Topic: Translab @ House Feb 12  (Read 8925 times)

sweetpea

Translab @ House Feb 12
« on: February 09, 2009, 11:16:12 am »
Hi Everyone,

I've been a lurker since my boyfriend was diagnosed right at Christmas time. He has a 3.1cm tumor on his right side. After visiting with several neurosurgeons here in the Dallas and Houston area, he has elected to have surgery at the House Clinic on Feb 12 with Dr Slattery and Dr Schwartz.

This forum has been a tremendous to help to us both. It's mind boggling to be going through this, but it's been reassuring to read posts from those who have already traveled this journey. Is there anything more I can do to reassure him that all will be okay? I honestly can't comprehen what he is going through and feeling, but just want him to know that he is in great hands.

We've been reading posts on what to bring to the hospital along with how he will be after the surgery. This has been such a great resource to us both along with how kind and supportive everyone here is.

Thanks for letting me talk. The reality of what is about to happen is finally sinking in.

Kate

suboo73

Re: Translab @ House Feb 12
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 11:39:20 am »
Hi Kate.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, your boyfriend and your families.
Please send an update when you can.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

bleavitt

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 12:34:51 pm »
Kate;

I had translab on Jan 16th, 2009. My tumor was just a little smaller, it was on my right side. I was scared of what I would be like after surgery. My surgery was done by Dr. kartush at Michigan Ear Institue, my other recommendation (from a friend who is an ear, nose and throat Doctor.) was House, so feel confident in your boyfriend's selection.

My recommendation would be to try and get him back to normal in the hospital asap, meaning comfortable clothes that he likes to wear, versus that stuff they give you at the hospital, that made me feel like myself. Take capstick, my lips got very dry. Also, I set goals for myself which most wrote off as unoptainable, except for me (ie; return to work by "x' date, walk outside by 'x' date, etc). I told myself I'd be out of the hospital in three days, and I was!

I was very lucky, my surgery was about six hours with excellent results; No facial or eye issues, no headaches. Of course my earing is lost, but honestly, it's not that big of a deal, so long as my good ear remains that way! I went back to work (desk job) after two and a half weeks, drove in two weeks and was bored at home after two weeks. There is fatique, but nothing horrible. This past Friday, I went downhill skiing, three weeks to the day from my surgery-granted that's my sport and I've been doing it since I was eight (now 39 years old), but just to be out there with out any real problems, my Doctor friend and I ski together, he couldn't believe it either!

My point being is everyone is different, he has a great doctor, just go into this with a positive outlook, and with a little luck in surgery things won't be so bad. He'll do great! Any questions contact me.

Bryan

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 12:42:23 pm »
Katie,

Welcome out of the "lurker" status..  I can certainly appreciate the fears that you and he are probably experiencing.  I had a retrosigmoid surgery about 1 month after diagnosis for a 3cm AN.  All of that sound familar?  If it's helpful, read my blog (address below).  It takes you through the entire journey from my perspective from just before diagnosis until now.  The road can be smooth or it can be bumpy, but my account is based purely through my eyes.  Hopefully it will bring comfort to each of you that with time, things will be okay.  Now, 9 months later, I am back to an active lifestye again.. I work, drive, camp, etc..  Aside from my bada$$ scar that I like to show off with my short haircut, you'd never know what I went through..

Welcome to the forum.. Lean on the rest of us who've been there when you need it..  Ask questions, etc.. Overall, be assured that all will be okay.  It may just take some time to get to that point.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 12:49:22 pm »
Hi Kate~
I am also from Texas - I had surgery in Houston 13 years ago when I was 25 - there was no Forum, nothing like this sharing of information so I didn't know about House then.  I guess some would say I had some bumps in the road, but I think I have a great life now.  If you would like to chat (either on the internet or phone) just PM me!! You can see my blog (address below) and see that I have a VERY happy, active life 13 years later!!

K

PS Did you put the date on the calendar??
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 01:07:25 pm »
Hi, Kate!  Glad you posted!  I had surgery (translab) at House/St. Vincents 3 months ago.  You guys will be very pleased with the care you receive out there.  If either of you have any questions about what to expect while in LA, feel free to PM me...or ask here.  I, or any one of the numerous House patients here, will be glad to help.

Best of luck - please keep us updated when you can,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 01:39:25 pm »
Hi, Kate,

I had the translab procedure at House in January 2008. Your boyfriend will be in wonderful hands and I think you'll both be quite happy with the attention, care, and compassion he'll receive. It was an amazing experience from start to finish, and while this is not something that anyone would wish to go through, you're going through it in excellent surroundings. Best wishes as his surgery date approaches.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 02:07:37 pm »
Hello Kate - and welcome.  Thanks for posting.  I'm glad we were able to (unconsciously) coax you out of your lurker position, which could get uncomfortable, after awhile.  :D  Seriously, I'm pleased to learn that the forums have been helpful to you and your boyfriend and I trust they'll continue to be useful as he approaches his surgery date on Thursday (2/12/09).

As you know, the House Ear Clinic is renowned for their AN-removal expertise.  Although no doctor can absolutely guarantee a perfect outcome to delicate AN removal surgery, your boyfriend is certainly in experienced hands.  That being the case, his reading about other AN surgical patient's positive outcomes is probably the best way to reassure him.  I'm one of those success stories. 

I underwent both surgery (retrosigmoid approach) as well as (planned) follow-up radiation (FSR) and enjoyed a rapid, full recovery with only SSD as a residual.  For what it's worth, I was 63 years old at the time.  In good health, yes, but no athlete or even especially health-conscious - and I did fine.  Of course I had a highly experienced neurosurgeon, just as your boyfriend does.  Lots of prayers for me, too. 

Granted, your boyfriend has to be realistic and understand that, yes, he could have some post-surgical complications but most are temporary or correctable.  Frankly, until that happens, and we'll pray it won't, he needs to try to put aside his useless and unproductive fears, not focus on 'what if' and keep a positive attitude. Well, it worked for me.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 06:16:11 am »
Hi Kate and welcome,

Although the AN experience can be a scary one, I'm sure your boyfriend will be in good hands on the 12th.  Many of our group have had surgery at HEI and say the docs and staff there are wonderful.  Please keep us posted on your boyfriend's progress.

Sending good vibes to both of  you,
Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 12:00:24 pm »
Hi, Katie -

best of luck to your boyfriend on the 12th.

Please let us know how his surgery and recovery turn out.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sonja

• Calendar
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 12:16:40 pm »
Kate:

Glad you decided to stop lurking and join in. I to was a lurker. There is so much love and support on this site. I will keep your boyfriend in my prayers. I have translab surgery on February 18th at HEI. Maybe i'll see you and your boyfriend.  I am sure he will be walking  arond by then and doing great.

blevitt: Your story is truely amazing. I love hearing such great comeback stories. It's awesome how well you are doing. Keep up the good work but don't push too hard. You really have given me high hopes of getting to the other side without facial paralysis. Thanks for sharing.

Sonja
Symptoms 2005
AN diagnosed January 2007
Watch & Wait until now
Surgery (Translab) scheduled February 18, 2009 HEI (Dr. House, Dr. Schwartz, Dr. Stefan)
No servicable hearing in affected ear

sweetpea

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 12:37:56 pm »
Thank you, everyone for your kind words and reassurance! I will keep y'all updated on the surgery. 

Sonja- I am sure we will see you at some point.  Best wishes with your surgery!

sweetpea

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 10:20:45 am »
Hi y'all:

Well so far so good. Matt came out of surgery yesterday evening after 9 long hours. The tumor was rather large...a little bit smaller than a tennis ball. And it was harder than they had anticipated. They had to leave a little behind, to preserve the facial nerve. But the nerve was responding to just a mininal testing. So that was exciting to hear. His smile was great last night when I went in to visit with him. He wasn't in much pain, just his elbows were hurting from being so stiff the entire time.

I am on my way to see him for a little and then grab some breakfast. These past two days have been the most exhausting days of my life, but behing here for him has meant the world. I will be glad when he will have his own room.

We are more than likely staying here at the Marriott downtown once he gets out. We stayed here before the surgery, and he is wanting to stay here afterwards. So I am waiting to see when he will be released before I make any bookings.

The surgeons, nurses and staff here have been absolutely wonderful. They updated us periodically throughout the surgery and Dr Slattery came out when it was over to give us the details along with his anestigologist. Matt's mom gave each of them a hug! They were just so nice.

Anyway, I will be on my way here shortly to go see him. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers!

Kate

NL

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 01:36:38 pm »
Kate,

I'm so happy to hear the good news about Matt. I'm really glad that he's doing so well considering his tumor was large. He really is in very good hands with the House/St. Vincent's team. And I'm sure the Marriott will be a great place for Matt to recover - especially with the room service!

Thanks for the update!

Nancy L
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 02:46:18 pm »
Kate:

Congratulations to your boyfriend, Matt, on his successful AN removal surgery.  Kudos to you, too, on your concern and caring for him as you stayed close to him through the entire ordeal.  Please try to stay in touch so we'll know how Matt is progressing. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.