Author Topic: Helpful Hint for Dry Eye  (Read 2699 times)

Patti

Helpful Hint for Dry Eye
« on: February 07, 2009, 08:56:53 am »
I have been treating dry eye for 8 years and have tried everything.  I would like to share with you what works for me.  I do not use the oils.  I get releif from using Refresh Liquigel which has 1% methylcellulose (it is thicker).  I don't like the oily looking eye area and this works just as well.  Actually, neither is a perfect cure but it's the best we can do!  The best part is this-at night the drops dry out around my eyelids and seal my eye shut which is the ultimate goal.  When I used the oil, my eye would not seal shut so I had to but expensive, ugly and annoying eye patches or tape my eye shut which was even more annoying.  This saves alot of money.  I do have a gold weight in my eye, by the way.  try it!  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Helpful Hint for Dry Eye
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 10:06:27 am »
I'm glad the LiquiGel works for you. None of the drops work for me. I have to use ointment. I find that Refresh PM and Lacrilube work best for me. They have a mineral oil to petrolatum ratio of 55% to 45% (I don't which is more) while most of the other brands are 85% to 15%. If I use one of the other brands, it wears off a lot faster. I only have to use the Refresh PM two or three times daily.

My vision on the left side is blurry due to the ointment, but my brain has learned to compensate so that most of the time I don't even notice.

I have a platinum weight. They do make a big difference.

Take care,
Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Patti

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 03:15:42 pm »
i guess i thought putting the drops in 10 times a day was good.  maybe i have to try the ointment again for the daytime and this drop idea at night.  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Keri

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 07:46:08 pm »
Hi,
I'm two weeks post op; have the facial weakness. Had been using the drops, found them not all that helpful. Someone (need to go them and thank them) suggested the Refresh and i love it. i'm been using instead of the drops.
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Meagan

• Picture
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 04:16:20 pm »
i am over 2 years post op, geez that is long.  And i am not at a point where Refresh Liquigel is my savior.  I use it for the morning and normally get a pocket of liquid that stays for a good portion of the day.....I work in sales and am inside and out and it normally holds and my eye is as white as ever.

I do use lacrilube every night and without that my eye is red all day....so kind of a combo deal....Good luck all!
5 cms, Surgery Jan 3 2007