Author Topic: Social Security Disability  (Read 13178 times)

Cheryl R

Social Security Disability
« on: February 01, 2009, 01:10:56 pm »
I am finally breaking down and have a Social Security interview Fri.         I have not so far as keep thinking I could try to go back to my hospital nursing job.       I managed before with the  NF2 and more than one surgery but now with surgery on both sides and no vestibular have to watch it more.         I worked at a place where we did most of our own care and wasn't a sit down job.   I watched so close to not trip over all the tubings we had around.                      I do well at home but being elsewhere is harder even though can manage when watch it all very closely.           I do better at the slower pace of life I find and do have some memory problems but not bad.   
So we will see what happens in time.                     My speech discrimation is 92% on the left and of course 0 on the right. but I still have trouble understanding some people and we all know what conditions make it even worse.   
I can't type well at all.    I mix up spelling terribly so a typing type job is out also.      It really has been an up and down decision and feel guilty in some ways whether to try for it.        I will keep it all up dated.                                Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Social Security Disability
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 02:58:01 pm »
Good luck with the interview, Cheryl.

If you want a few tips, contact LADavid.  I'm sure he could give you some pointers from his own interview.

Definitely keep us posted.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jackie

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 06:00:42 pm »
Cheryl,

Do not feel guilty! You deserve it, so go for it!! It's not like you are faking!!! Good luck and many blessings coming your way!!!
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 05:17:21 am »
Cheryl,

After four years, I finally received SSD.  It was a long and hard fight.  Make sure you keep notes, like a journal daily.  Even if it is only a couple of lines. SSD is a federal program, but each state is way different in how long it takes to be heard and to get a ruling.  LaDavid, I believe, got his on the first try and I think there are a couple of others who did too.  Most take two or three rejections before it is approved.  Just don't give up.  I wish you the very best.  If you need to talk to anyone, I'm here.  Good luck.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

suboo73

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 05:57:08 am »
Cheryl, 

I want to say how much i admire you!  Several surgeries and you were still working that is amazing!
Like Jackie said, you should not feel guilty about applying for SSD.  After all, you have worked and paid into the SS system.

Good luck with your interview!
Hope all goes well.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Patti

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 08:10:44 am »
cheryl-i hope it goes smoothly for you.  mine did.  i got approved the first time.  now, 8 years later, i feel good.  but i think it is because my life is now taylored to my needs.  after all-that is the purpose of disability.  they don't want you to suffer.  the goal is to make a life that works for you.  i can't be in hectic situations where i don't watch my every step.  i will fall if i don't think about every move.  i can't work in a noisy environment with more than one person talking at a time (i was a middle school teacher-very hectic and very noisy!).  i miss important information that is said to me either because of the hearing thing or my slower processing speed.  it sounds like these problems are similar to yours.  when you go for your interveiw talk about these problems.  all of these reasons are why you cannot be a nurse or even work in McDonalds.  tiredness makes all these problems worse so you can't work a full-time job.  when and if you are able, you are allowed to work a little when on disability.  but i wouldn't address that issue right now or they won't take you seriously.  just talk about those issues and show your sadness about these changes in you and the loss of your career.  it is all true and justified.  i am sure they will be impressed that you worked through your other surgeries.  good luck!  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 08:13:43 am »
Cheryl~
IMO, the fact that you have waited this long and continued to TRY to do all that you could says that you are not one to take this lightly and not trying to just get all you can from the system!!  You certainly have done your part and tried to do a LOT without extra help.
Good luck!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 09:24:56 am »
cheryl,
Don't feel bad! You definately know when you can't do it anymore and being a nurse I KNOW what hard work that can be. They run you like a dog these days especially with the major nursing shortage! Good Luck!
Angie

Cheryl R

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 09:50:31 am »
Thank you everyone!        It will be interesting to see how it goes.            I think I feel guilty since just being home I have close to a normal life, just have to watch for no quick turns!       My age will help since will be 57 in June.   
           I appreciate everyones support!                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 12:05:37 pm »
You go girl  ;)   Enjoy life on your terms.  You being a nurse and caring for thousands of people, now it is your turn to be cared for.  I know personally if I thought I could work at my job and give 100 percent I WOULD be there, but I can't.   This is also all about embracing the "new me", acceptance of my abilities and limitations. 

All the best Cheryl,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 04:00:06 pm »
Cheryl:

My wife's car was rear-ended in an auto accident, on her way to work, back in 1996.  Due to that accident, her spine was injured.  She had numerous operations and could no longer sit or stand for any period of time.  She was forced to go on long-term disability from her job as a senior supervisor in a national insurance company.  The company demanded she apply for Social Security Disability benefits to offset the payments they made to her (70% of her former salary).  Their rationale was that SSD is an 'entitlement', or, as we saw it, they weren't going to pay my wife a dime more than they had to as long as taxpayer's money was available to pay her, instead, even if only in part.  She went through the tedious application process - and it took over 2 years and the help of an attorney specializing in Social Security Disability claims to finally secure her 'award' (the SS Administration's  term).  This saved her employer about half of what they had been paying her.   She has been collecting the SSD payments (and her long-term disability payments) for approximately 12 years, now.  An annual physical by a (local) doctor the Social Security administration chooses is required as well as her PCP filling out a form stating that he has examined her and she continues to be unable to work.  The SS-required physical is free (to us) but we have to pay her PCP for his time spent in filling out the lengthy government form ($75.)

Its sometimes an arbitrary process and certainly an arduous one but at this point, you need to do this and, by doing so, give yourself a respite.  You're hardly a free-loader and deserve the SSD benefit.  Unfortunately, this program is often abused and that abuse is probably a large part of the reason the process tends to move at a glacial pace.  Well, that, and it's run by government bureaucrats with little public accountability. 

I wish you success as you move forward with this application for SSD.  Please feel free to consult any of us with some hard-earned knowledge of how the SSD 'system' works. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 02:57:38 am »
Hi Cheryl,
I've talked to you before......and I hope you do go ahead and file for it.  You, who have cared for so many people, need to have a break, and be able to stop working and take care of yourself.
I got it the first try, but it was on Fibromyalgia.  It was 8 years ago,. and I didn't have AN then.  I pray you do get it......and get a lawyer who specializes in social security claims.  They get all the paperwork done...and if you are disqualified, then they are ready to take over right away.  I didn't have to pay my lawyer anything, b/c I got it right away.  They only charge if you need them.......and you do, if you don't get it.  They know how to handle this, and then it's only a portion of your back pay.
I don't feel guilty.  I was supposed to have my claim checked on...and 7 years is the longest time you can go without it.  I haven't heard from them........just getting my monthly checks......and now that I had the AN surgery and am SSD, I figure that is in my favor now. 
Please try,.......I know it's alot of paperwork, but I did one page a day, and got thru it.  My hubby had to fill out part of the form.....like what has he seen different in me, and what can't I do now that I could along time ago.  He did a great job doing his part......and when I took the form in, the woman who took it from me, kinda assured me that fibromyalgia has been accepted before. 
It is good to keep a calendar of things that occur......just so you have the info.
God bless you, and please don't feel guilty.  You certainly deserve it..........alot more than other people who are trying to get thru the system, and didn't work as hard as you do.
God bless,
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

Cheryl R

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 04:48:40 pm »
Ok, has now has been interview day for SSD.             The gal who did the interview  was very nice and very helpful.
  I had wrote out much information about all my difficulties but she was more interested in every little detail of what I did at work.    How many hours a day of lifting, reaching and just everything I did.     A hospital staff nurse has no day that is exactly the same.       So hard to give details since it has so much variabilty.  Depends on which patients one had and how much aide help we had also.   Sometimes not much.         She put it all in computer  and also will scan and send what I wrote about my difficulties.    So now time will tell.      May know by symposium time!
                                                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 07:27:44 am »
Cheryl -

glad the interview part is over.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

golden

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 07:55:03 pm »
I also felt guilty about applying for S.S.D. I returned to work 4 months after my surgery and everything was fine for awhile. Then I started noticing vistibular problems along with headaches and visions problems along with increased pain (which turned out to be fibromyalgia) It had become harder to concentrate on the daily tasks that I had to perform. I was determined to over come and continue working. I am a single mother of two children and I am the sole finiancial provider for the family. I felt that if I applied for S.S.D. I was giving up. I finally had no choice, my work performance had become more of a hinder than a help. I took a medical leave of absents from my job and applied for S.S.D. in Dec 2008. I had decided I needed to put myself first and get my life and health back on track for all of us.
I am now at the process of having a physical evaluation by a S.S.D. doctor and and a pyscological evaluation by a S.S.D. doctor. I am hoping to know by next month if I qualify for S.S.D. If I am denied I will hire an attorney to help me appeal the decision. I am lucky that I have short term disability through my employer until May 26, 09. If there is one thing I have learned from having a AN it is to never give up!
I hope that you do qualify for S.S.D. and I will keep my fingers crossed for you.