Author Topic: Athletics and Post AN Life  (Read 51456 times)

Seal

Re: Athletics and Post AN Life
« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2012, 05:56:08 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I really should check in more often, but life with kids seems to always get in the way!   ;D   Well it has been a great year of biking, hiking, and offshore fishing this year, and with constant bike training all summer, I could say that I am in the best shape that I've been since the summer before my AN surgery.    In terms of progress, i believe that the AN recovery process probably leveled out by the second year.   The note by MDBluz is right on the money, and MD probably beat me back to the bike by six months.    As stated, everyone is different and everyone needs to find their own level of recover, but whether it is walking, jogging, biking, or anything, the increaed level of excercise only helps make the recovery faster.     The only thing that I can add at this point being 3.5 years after the AN operation is that the balance needs to be constantly worked at.     What I mean is that if you are a walker, walk more.   If you bike or run, get back to your level of training before, and you will see a solid improvement in balance over time.    When I am away from training for weeks like in the winter, I notice a decline in the balance.    However the balance comes right back as I get back into the regular schedule.   

Good luck to everyone reading this thread to maybe give a pre-view into what to expect down the road in the months and years afterwards.      Keep moving!!!

SteveK
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

Dee-dee

« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2012, 07:21:55 am »
You can also  buy a bike with three wheels for adults. Haven't tried it yet but I hear it's great for us AN folks!
2.3 cm AN.   Hearing loss and other symptoms. Gamma knife 2011.

It is what it is

« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2012, 08:12:27 pm »
Kayaking and hiking have worked well since surgery and I am very interested in trying downhill skiing again this winter.  The mountain opened last week!  :)
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

millie

« Reply #108 on: November 27, 2012, 08:49:12 am »
This thread is an inspiration to all of us in early post op!   Thanks everyone!  We will try our best to keep  hoping and moving...Millie

DHJ

« Reply #109 on: November 27, 2012, 12:33:46 pm »
   Today I woke up a little wonkey so I hit the gym around 7am and returned home for breakfest at 9,ready for a good day.I have been able to return to almost all of my activities including golf,sailing,biking,walking and may even try skiing again.While throwing a football with my son over thanksgiving I was reminded of my post AN issues as I turned quickly trying to make a over the shoulder catch.Good thing I am not a professional football player.I started walking with a walker after surgery and have just gotten stronger with improved balance by remaining active.This is my new normal and it is pretty good.Keep Moving.    Peace Dave
3yr wait and watch on left sided 2.9cm AN is over surgery 11/4/2011 Mckenna/Barker at MGH one year MRI 11/12/2012 all clear

It is what it is

« Reply #110 on: November 28, 2012, 12:12:15 am »
Dave, you sound very active!  Let's hope skiing also works for both of us when we try it again.  :)

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

DHJ

« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2012, 10:20:01 am »
   Anyone try the Wii balance board? It comes with skiing and other inter active games.I first used it at Spaulding Rehab and bought one last year. It is fun,helpful and something you can do at home.I have not used it lately but plan on getting back on it to practice my skiing before hitting the slopes for real as a slow appreciative skier.When my kids get on it they blow my scores away and perhaps get some insight into my balance challenges.When I first joined this forum there were quite a few Wii posts with scores posted.Maybe we should start a new topic (Wii scores) and encourage each other. Older Wii with a balance board can be purchased at many second hand electronic game stores.   Peace Dave
3yr wait and watch on left sided 2.9cm AN is over surgery 11/4/2011 Mckenna/Barker at MGH one year MRI 11/12/2012 all clear

It is what it is

« Reply #112 on: November 28, 2012, 07:13:55 pm »
I don't gave a Wii but thanks for the suggestion.  Maybe I'll get one.  I bought a balance board that I practice on.

Karen

Seal

« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2013, 07:27:51 pm »
Hi All,

I haven't checked in lately, but this past week's chaos in Boston made me forget that it was now four years since the surgery at MGH.  With everything that we've seen this week in Boston, the answer is clear that we have top notch surgeons, medical staff, and care givers here locally.    I just wanted to give thanks to our wonderful medical personnel that continue to improve our lives day in and day out.  We only see them maybe once up close and personal, but to these talented individuals, this is just another day in the office.     We should all be very thankful.   

I have nothing new to report after four years now thanks to staying active.    The springtime is arriving (slowly), and our local peleton is back on the road and riding in the morning at 5:45AM.      The longer rides come on the weekends when we all have the time.     As the weather warms up, the rides will get longer, and the balance will get better.    The basic message is still the same to those just beginning the AN surgery process.     Get moving or keep moving, and you'll see a big difference.    There is a reason why they get you out of the bed right after surgery; the more we move, the better we feel.     Keep pedaling, running, walking, and anything that gets yo moving.    We're all in this together!

Best regards,
SteveK

Seal

« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2014, 05:50:32 pm »
Hi Everyone!

Well, this is coming up on my fifth year anniversary of being AN free.    Hopefully my old friends here on the Forum are doing well, and I especially hope that this thread gives some insight to those waiting, watching, and determining their next step on the AN journey.   

To give a brief update, I believe all of us find a certain level of comfort with our post operative situation.     Headaches seem to fade away after one year in my situation.   I believe that it takes that long for the skull plates to truly heal and become one again.   The muscles get abused too in different way, but they seem to improve well before the 12 month period.    From a life long fitness fan, I can't emphasis enough the benefits of running, biking, and just simply walking that come to the healing process of a post operative body.    Here in New England, the ice and snow is receding, and I will be back 100% to my morning biking routine with our peloton.    Our only complaint is that we are getting older, and our pace in the morning at 5:30am is not the same as it was 10 years ago.     A couple of the guys have had their own challenges medically as well.    But we all share the bond of staying active and doing what we can.    If you are 25,  45, or 65, or whatever, the difference between doing something and sitting around thinking about it is large.   So I hope that we can all get out and enjoy the spring weather that surely must be on the way soon!!!!        Life is good, the family is great, and I can't wait for fishing season to begin!      Nothing like a pitching deck in 3-4 seas for excellent vestibular training!

Happy Spring!
Steve

Seal

« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2017, 07:53:49 pm »
Hi All,

Just wanted to check in to see if old friends were still actve and perhaps be of some help to new members.     This spring will mark the ninth year of the post AN surgery, and life is still great.     I hope that some of the younger members can look at this thread and see some hope that things do return to normal, albeit a new normal.     In terms of activities, road bike riding is still not an issue, and  the boating and fishing offshore is still a big part of the summer.    Maybe I'm more judicious in terms of trying to play sports with the older kids now, but that is just being wise as the aging process catches up with us all.    I would say the only issue would be taking midnight walks on pebbled beaches is not suggested, especially without moonlight!     Otherwise, life is still good, and I hope any of the new members can ready and find some positive feedback in the thread.

Best to all,
Steve

daoisthere

• Composer and Guitarist
« Reply #116 on: November 25, 2017, 03:48:59 pm »
Thanks Seal...

Or should I say seal the deal...  Thanks for staying in touch with the group.  This is quit meaning for the new members like me. I am in the process right now.  I need hearing from someone just like you.  I am running ever day with a weighted body suit.  My goal is to reach 70 extra pounds (suit) by this time next year.  Baby steps: add 1lb/wk to the suit.  I am on watch and wait.  The tinnitus sucks... so I just accept it as much as possible.  The second MRI in Jan 2018 will give me more info.  The hero members are awesome.  My third grand child is coming in March.   Life is good or maybe i'll just go crazy.  Or both. My choice.

Peace,
Daoisthere

08/21/2017 MRI reveals AN
10.8 x 3.6 x 4.2 mm Completely fills Right Canal
10/09/2017 Watch and Wait
01/19/2018 2nd MRI  Tesla 3 12 x 5 x 4 mm
New Diagnosis - Partial Empty Sella