Author Topic: 2nd MRI and follow up with Dr Antonelli  (Read 8489 times)

Dusty

2nd MRI and follow up with Dr Antonelli
« on: January 30, 2009, 10:22:49 am »
It has been several months since posting as I watch and wait.  I just completed a 6 month follow up MRI.  The AN has grown and is now 14mmx12mmx13mm.  I have been experiencing gradual worsoning of symtoms of vertigo and lack of balance since original diagnosis in July 08 of AN 8mmx11mmx12mm.  I have a follow up consultation Monday 2/2/09 with Dr. Antonelli at Shands ENT in Gainesville Florida.  I have pretty much decided to have surgery but this meeting will finalize.  Just an interesting note to add, a coworker has also been recently diagnosed with an AN. 

Dusty
Diagnosed 6/2008 Right AN 8mmx11mmx12mm
Tinnitus, vertigo & pressure
MRI 1/2009 - AN 14mmx12mmx13mm
Surgery Schedule 3/16/2009 Drs. Antonelli and Lewis
Surgery Completed 3/16/2009 AN removed and accoustic nerve cut.
SSD

Mickey

Re: 2nd MRI and follow up with Dr Antonelli
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 11:14:01 am »
Good Luck Dusty! These AN`s are really puzzeling. What makes one grow and another stay? Whatever the case your making the best decisions. I also believe that they are becoming more frequent in this world of ours. Best Wishes, Mickey

Dawn

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 06:07:54 pm »
Dusty -

Sorry to hear that the AN grew so quickly for you, Best of luck to you with your upcoming surgery.  What type of surgery will you be going for?

Keep us updated

Dawn
Diagnosed 12/08...4mm Left AN in IAC...Wait and Watch for now...Next MRI scheduled for 8/09 Doctors not sure if its AN, Lipoma or Hemangioma????

Also diagnosed with Chiari I Malformation - looking into options for that

Sanch

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 09:03:40 pm »
I didn't tell you Friday, but good luck Monday and I'll see you Tuesday...
Diagnosed 12/2008 with a right side 6mm x 4mm AN
Watch & Wait until next MRI in 6/2009

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 11:17:29 am »
Dusty,

Sorry to hear your AN has grown.  Making a treatment choice is a difficult one, but once you reach that point, things seem to get easier and most people feel a weight lift off their shoulders.  I wish you luck and hope now that you've made your decision, you will not have to wait long for surgery.

Best,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

highlife

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 01:25:30 pm »
Dusty,
we'll be thinking of you.  It's kind of hard to think of anything else when you're trying to make this decision.  Hope all goes well.
Steph
Rt ear AN - 10x6x4mm
dx 9/08
wait

Dusty

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 11:44:59 am »
My visit with Dr. Antonelli went well. We are now working to schedule pre-op and get it done.  I am very comfortable with my decision and appreciate the support from fellow ANers and especially SANCH.  I will follow up when a date is finallized.

Dusty
SSD

Keeping Up

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 07:46:23 pm »
Good luck with the scheduling - I can only imagine once the decision is made (and the wait isn't too long) that you find comfort knowing the decision has been made.

I look forward to following your story and quick recovery.

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

Sheryl

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 09:14:26 pm »
Dusty - I am in S.W. Florida and just wanted you to know that Shands in Gainesville has been highly recommended by a number of people - especially professionals in the field.  Sounds like you are on the right track and I'm sure you'll do well.  Keep us informed as we'll be waiting.
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Dusty

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 01:27:29 pm »
I am scheduled for another consult with Dr Antonelli and Dr Lewis (Neurosurgeon) on Tuesday 2/10.  The surgery is tentatively scheduled for Monday 3/16/09 at Shands in Gainesville.  Look forward to post AN recovery.
SSD

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 07:31:05 am »
Dusty -

I'm sorry your AN has reached the point where it requires treatment, but you sound very comfortable with the surgery decision and that's great news.

When your surgical date is confirmed, please don't forget to put it on the AN Calendar so we can all remember to wish you well.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 03:15:03 pm »
Hi Dusty!

I'm also in Florida, near Tampa, and will be having retrosigmoid with Dr. Bartels at Tampa General on March 5th.  Don't forget to change your sig line!  I love those sig lines, it saves you from having to search through older posts to find size, date, treatments, etc!

I was given the option of watch and wait, but with hearing already slightly affected, and tinitus loud and annoying already, I didn't want to risk it getting worse.  Sounds like you are on the right track for you now, based on the growth rate and symptoms.  Good luck and keep us updated!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

LisaP

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 06:21:06 am »
Dusty,

Good luck and keep up posted!!!

EJTampa,

Because I am considered a "computer dummy", what do you mean by change your sig line? 

LisaP

LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 03:11:52 am »
EJTampa,

Because I am considered a "computer dummy", what do you mean by change your sig line? 

LisaP

Hi LisaP!

Near the top of the forum page, you will see some options.  Choose Profile.
On the left side of that page, you will see Modify Profile, and below that, Forum Profile Information
Click on Forum Profile Information.
That's where you can add a picture, if you like, some personal text to display, and if you scroll down the page, some text for your signature.  Most of us list information about our neuromas and any treatments, past or future, and maybe symptoms like SSD (single side deaf) or Tinnitus.

Let me know if you need more help.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.