Author Topic: Rick (QRM) Surgery Update  (Read 9034 times)

cindyj

Re: Rick (QRM) Surgery Update
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 06:58:07 am »
That first little walk post-op is such a huge first step!  Once you realize it can be done, you're then on your way!  Glad to hear the nausea and headaches are easing up a bit - it should continue to improve...it did for me and, hopefully, it will for you!  Getting released from the hospital will, of course, go a long way to making everything seem much better.

Thanks, Nancy, for keeping us informed,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

wendysig

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 11:32:49 am »
Hi Nancy

Thanks for the update on Rick. 

Rick - Glad to hear you are starting to feel better.   Once the headaches abate, thing start getting better quickly and I hope this happens for you soon.  I would guess your nausea should end soon too, although I don't know for sure how long it usually lasts.   Recovery takes a lot of baby steps and a LOT of paitence.  Listen to your body and you  will be fine.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

NL

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 09:03:49 pm »
Just passing along Rick's latest update from Jane:

"He is happy being home. We'll be taking off the stitches this Thursday at the hospital. We will have a scan in 6 months and another in a year and then we'll seek the docs advice continuously. For now, I am happy with his positive attitude and his progress and so are the team of surgeons."

Rick - It's great that you're resting at home. Naps and patience will take you a long way. Looking forward to hearing from you when you're up to it.

Jane - Thank you SO much for keeping us updated - on top of everything else you had to do!

Glad you're both doing well.  :)
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

wendysig

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 11:05:58 am »
Nancy,
Thanks again for your latest  update on Rick.

Rick -- I'm  glad to hear you are home and I sure you are even more glad to be there.  As Nancy said, rest and patience are an essential part of the recovery process.  Take baby steps at first and become more active when you are up to it.  Listen to you body and it will tell you how much you can do. 

Wishing you a speedy and uneventful recovery,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

QRM

• Was an architect now stay at home dad
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 01:13:09 am »
Made it back to Singapore!!  The first few days after the operation really was grim, not only was it like being hit by a freight train full of bowling balls but after being picked off the tracks, I was then transported in a cement mixer.

I thought I would have a bit of a reaction to the knockout cocktail; I get a hang over after a night drinking Alcohol free beer. When I came round felt like I was tied to a roller coaster in the arctic, I was very cold. All the medication to sort the headache out didn’t seem to work.  What did the trick was good old fashion Ice pack on my head and eyes.

It turns out I met the anesthetist Architect brother 15 years ago at a stag night in Brighton!!   

Dr. Freidman spent 2 ½ hours of the 8 hour operation opening my nut to expose the tumour. I was warned a number of times before that some tumour may be left behind to preserve the facial nerve, but all went well, Dr. Schwartz managed to get all of it out. 

I walked on the second day out of ICU, though moved like I was just zapped with a tazzer gun.  The Third day I was doing a pretty good impression of Michael Jackson thriller video.  On the fourth day I was walking unaided but looking like a 1950s robot.
They did offer the use of a walking stick but I found it more of a hindrance than a help. I do take my hiking stick when I go out, it’s more as a warning sign, as people tend to give you a bit of a wider berth when they see a stick.

What I noticed:

My tongue on the AN side has a horrible salty metallic taste, I was eating dozens of extra strong mints to get rid of the taste.  At first I thought it was the CSF leak, but after doing the head between the knees test, nothing dripped so it must be the taste nerve playing silly buggers.

My SSD is no different from before, for the first few days my tinnitus was disrupted by what sounded like a washing machine, but now its back to the normal rain forest at night noise which, strange as this may sound, I find it quite soothing.

My outer two toes on both side of my feet hurt like I dropped a heavy object on them, I can only assume it is because I am now walking in a wider John Wayne stance to try and stabilize myself when moving.

And despite looking really painful its surprising how pain free the whole thing is.  It was the constipation a week after the operation that was crippling, felt like I was giving birth to a very large pineapple, and I needed to be carried off the loo.

Anyway pictures time.

Excuse the ear fluff here is my lucky horse shoe scar:

Excuse my six pack, here is my tummy cut, only about and inch and half, the Docs didn’t have to did deep to find a plentiful supply of lard.

Me arriving home the day of the discharge from hospital, we told my daughter Rain I had to go to hospital to remove a potato from my head, and here is the spud the doctors found in my head. ( LOL, who knows she may develop a potato phobia )

Me and Rain on the flight back to Singapore, I felt very sick while landing could be a new sensation throwing me a bit or it was just the tiredness after a 17 hour flight kicking in.

Thanks to everyone on the forum that gave me advice and direction and well wishes, I am very happy with the results. If there is one complaint I am a bit disappointed I did not loose more weight, the steroids made me crave for ice-cream and gummy bears, factor in all the hundreds of mints I had to eat. My tummy incision stitches had a hard time keeping things together after the first week at home.

It was great to meet up with all the LA ANers, I will be back next year for my annual check up so we will get together again,  or if anyone is heading over to this side of the world, drop me a line.

Rick
2.5 cm x 1.1 cm AN 30 Oct 08  Singapore Gleneagles Hosp.
Translab on  29 Jan 09 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of HEI
Surgery a success!! had wonky head for a while and odd tastes
Everyday things are improving and getting back to normal.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 01:26:50 am »
Rick:  What a journey you've been on !   Looks like you're healing well.
Remember you will need to rest ALOT, keep a peaceful heart my friend.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 01:36:19 am »
Rick, what an awesome sense of humor you have!  I think your attitude alone could get you through just about anything!  While I may be a bit nervous, I am going into my surgery on Thursday with an attitude similar to yours.  I consider myself a bit of a joker as well, but didn't think to tell my daughter that I had a potato in my head.  Of course, my daughter is 14, and probably doesn't think there's anything at all inside :).

Thanks for the great update and the awesome pictures!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

sgerrard

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 09:44:20 am »
I don't know, Rick, judging by the picture, Rain is not buying that the potato was really in your head.  :D

You look great and you sound great. The 17 hour flight must have been a doozy. Now you are home at last. Take it easy for a while!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 10:28:16 am »
Rick ~

Kudos to you for coming through the surgery in such good shape and weathering the long airplane flight home, too.  Your daughter is adorable and the 'potato in my head' explanation is terminally cute, although, as Ernie stated, she may not be quite so naive as you think.  She appears to have a very skeptical look on her face as she holds the potato, but young children can often be inscrutable so she may well accept this charming explanation for now.  Thanks for the post and the photos.  Now, rest and recuperate.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LADavid

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2009, 12:33:45 pm »
Great to hear from you and that you are back home safely.  And great pictures.  I'm with Steve though.  Rain is not buying that potato thing.  Please keep in touch and we'll be looking forward to seeing you and Jane and Rain on your visit next year.  Until then, continue the now smooth recovery.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2009, 12:54:40 pm »
Way to go Rick!!!  I hope your lucky horse shoe scar brings you and your family excellent health, wealth and much happiness.  By the way Rain is a little doll.

Anne Marie

PS  I understand constipation can be crippling, BUT I gave birth to four sons.  Two were posterior, and I needed an epidural and two were natural.....meaning I was strong like bull.....I think you got off easy my friend!! ;) 
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2009, 01:01:07 pm »
Rick, thanks for a very interesting post  :D

Glad you made it home all right and that things are going well for you.

The potato idea is hysterical  ;)

Your fat graph location was a new one for me.  Mine - and I think most others' - is below my navel and several inches to the left.  Yours appears to be right in the center of your navel.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

QRM

• Was an architect now stay at home dad
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2009, 09:09:31 pm »
Rick, thanks for a very interesting post  :D

Glad you made it home all right and that things are going well for you.

The potato idea is hysterical  ;)

Your fat graph location was a new one for me.  Mine - and I think most others' - is below my navel and several inches to the left.  Yours appears to be right in the center of your navel.

Jan

Jan,

You underestimate the size of my tummy, and this was after 3months of intensive work out!!, what you see in the photo is only a 1/4 of my tubs expanse, my belly button it just under my right hand thumb,

Rain is no fool, she was very suspicious of my potato, more so when I had it for dinner as bangers and Mash,  but she was good enough to humour me, especially as I had a husky Marlone Brando type whisper voice after getting home, she now does a very funny impression of me talking.

And Ernie best of luck on your day, unless the Doc turns up with one of those yellow dummies guide to neuro surgery, nothing to worry about. In fact the actual surgery, happened so quickly, one minute I was telling the anesthetist how bad a dancer her brother is, then a few second later, people where flashing torches in my eyes and I was barfing up with a huge turban on my head.  No need to worry about the diced carrots going everywhere, there's a nice young lady on standby by the side of the bed with a mini vomit vacuum and she deals with most of it before it even leaves your mouth.

After getting home I would suggest getting a plastic chair for the shower, and if you can get one, a part time nurse for the first week it was a great help, not so much for me but for the poor folks having to look after you, we tend to focus on the patient, and forget the collateral damage to all those who care for us, its no fun having to watch it all from the sidelines, and from my own experienced I know my wife was more stress about the whole thing than me.

Also get stacks of audio books, for me the more depressing the better, two good ones are "Still Alice" about a young Harvard Professor slowly succumbing to Alzheimer disease, and "Land of a Thousand Suns" about a family in Afghanistan over the last 15 years, a place where Cesarean section are regularly carried out with out anesthetics, it brings home how lucky we really are.

Don't for get to post some photos we can see who has the better scar.  I am off to do my daily exercise , I can see my chums are going to have hours of fun watching me do the DUI walk test, anyone would think I was some French high wire act in a hurricane.

Take care

Rick

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 08:29:26 pm by QRM »
2.5 cm x 1.1 cm AN 30 Oct 08  Singapore Gleneagles Hosp.
Translab on  29 Jan 09 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of HEI
Surgery a success!! had wonky head for a while and odd tastes
Everyday things are improving and getting back to normal.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2009, 11:59:36 pm »
Rick, once again, a very humorous post - and you know how we all love humor here  ;)  I take this as proof that you are recovering well.

Interesting about the Marlon Brando voice post op.  My sister is still laughing - almost 2 years later - about the Mickey Mouse voice I had post op.  Strangest damn thing I've ever encountered - and very laughable  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2009, 10:31:16 am »
Hi Rick,

My surgeon is actually done with volume one of neurosurgery for dummies and half way through volume 2, so I should be in good hands  ;)

I have a full time nurse for my first week home.  She is beautiful too, a real looker.  She's also my wife ;)

I did express my concern to her that it would be alot for her to do on her own, but she seems to think everything will be fine.  She's been a nurse for over 20 years, so I'm sure she knows a trick or two.

Not that I'm counting down or anything like that, but two more days and the worst will be behind me!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.