Author Topic: Surgery scheduled  (Read 7538 times)

highlife

Surgery scheduled
« on: January 28, 2009, 08:03:47 pm »
Well, I've decided to leave all you lovely "watch and wait" folks.  Although I was very happy to w&w when I was first diagnosed last fall, I find I'm not a very good w&w person.  In addition, I was thrown off my horse at least in part because of my poor balance, ending up with a CT head scan.  I lost my balance again and crashed into the corner of my bedroom in the middle of the night.  I decided that surgery after care can't be too much worse than that.  I have scheduled surgery on March 4 with Dr. Shahinian at Skull Base Institute in LA.  I feel really good about my choice, and feel strongly that I've researched this well and that I won't second guess myself.

I so appreciate all of you.
Steph
Rt ear AN - 10x6x4mm
dx 9/08
wait

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Surgery scheduled
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 08:50:49 pm »
Congratulations on coming to your own decision about your doctor.  It's very important that you're comfortable with your choice and that it is YOUR choice not because someone pushed you in that direction.  Keep everyone posted as the day approaches.  Do you know if you'll be having a middle fossa, retrosigmoid or translab surgery?  It doesn't really matter, but I was curious..

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 09:11:41 pm »
Sounds like you are ready to have your date on the ANA Calendar. Do you want to do it, or shall I do the honors?  :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

highlife

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 09:48:08 pm »
Brian
Dr. Shahinian does endoscopic surgery, the entrance being at the same place as the retrosig, but a dime sized hole.
Info on-line at www.skullbaseinstitute.com.
Hey, Steve, go ahead and do the honors! 

Nice to hear from you guys.
Rt ear AN - 10x6x4mm
dx 9/08
wait

highlife

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 09:49:39 pm »
PS
Steve, so you really knit hats?
Steph
Rt ear AN - 10x6x4mm
dx 9/08
wait

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 10:19:32 pm »
See for yourself, in this topic posted yesterday: http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=8598.0

Steve  ;)
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 10:29:25 pm »
Congratulations on making your treatment decision and scheduling your surgery.

Good luck!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 12:04:28 am »
Brian
Dr. Shahinian does endoscopic surgery, the entrance being at the same place as the retrosig, but a dime sized hole.
Info on-line at www.skullbaseinstitute.com.
Hey, Steve, go ahead and do the honors! 

Nice to hear from you guys.

Ahh, well, good luck with the surgery.  I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.  I suppose how they get there is of less importance than what they do when they get there.  I pray they get all of the tumor and you have a rapid recovery.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 06:21:26 am »
Steph,

Congratulations on making your decision -- its the hardest part of the AN journey in my opinion.  Jerseygir also had surgery at SBI and I believe with your doc and was very happy with her outcome.  I'm sure you'll be in good hands.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Esperanza

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 03:26:33 pm »
Hi Steph,

I completely understand your decision, wait and watch is not easy if the AN is giving symptoms which affect your quality of life and can leave us feeling a bit in 'limboland'!

I must admit I am more than a little envious that you have the opportunity ofmaking use of Dr. Shahinian's expertise - if only I were iin the USA I would be doing the same - endoscopic is my intuitive and research based choice but unfortunately our private insurance wouldn't cover having the op outside the UK (well it was worth asking!) and personal funds just won't stretch....   

Must be a very calming feeling to have things in place, wishing you all the very best.

x

Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 04:28:52 pm »
Steph:

Congratulations on your endoscopic surgery decision.  I wish you total success and a trouble-free recovery.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jerseygirl

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 08:36:34 pm »
Steph,

I wish you the best of luck during surgery and smooth recovery! We hope you post about your outcome and recovery. I am sure many people would like to know.

The wait is probably the worst for you but remember that you have a small tumor, no previous resections and have the greatest chance of the best possible outcome! One more time: good luck!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

highlife

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 10:05:10 am »
Wow.  Thanks all of you.  I really appreciate your support, can't tell you how much.

Eve:  You went the SBI route, too?  Tell me about it.

The insurance thing is sure tricky.  On the face of it, it looks like my insurance will cover.  But that isn't a done deal yet.  I will croak if insurance co comes back saying they'll pay everything except the last $60,000!

Steph
Rt ear AN - 10x6x4mm
dx 9/08
wait

jerseygirl

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 11:14:05 am »
Hi, Steph,

The insurance is something you have to keep up with. Unfortunately, it is far from straightforward. Expect a refusal the first time but they will pay eventually.

My second AN surgery was at SBI and probably the best thing about the entire experience for me was short hospital stay, no bandaged head ("bonnet", as some people here call it) and washing my hair right after the hospital. I never really had an icky head this time around. I almost feel guilty when somebody here does. The facial nerve was saved, my MRI is clean; I have nothing to complain about. In fact, at 2 weeks post-op, I was sitting at my my PCP's office (she agreed to take out my staples) and my PCP asked if I already had the surgery. She had no idea that I had one! It was not obvious from looking at me.  I also had no pain whatsoever but pain is an entirely subjective experience. It maybe because the metal was drilled, not my muscle and bone, and that does not hurt. In any case, a smaller scar (only 8-9 staples) means less chance to create those monstrous headaches, so you have an advantage there as well.

I also have to add that I had my first surgery 20 years ago and have to live with things that they did back then for the rest of my life. That includes the original scar that goes from the top of my head all the way down, and including, half of my neck. To this day I cannot press weights, otherwise I get a royal headache. The methods they used 20 years ago are truly barbaric by today's standards. People who had surgery in modern times just do not understand. I had lunch with some NY/NJ ANers and noticed that I grossed some people out when I talked about my experience. It is good that medicine moves forward and most people don't go through the pain and suffering anymore that I once did.

Best wishes and smooth recovery. Take that warning not to lift anything but the telephone very seriously! You really should not even if you feel like it. Good luck!

Eve

Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 12:13:51 pm »
Take that warning not to lift anything but the telephone very seriously! You really should not even if you feel like it. Good luck!

Eve

Steph:
Don't even bend over to pick up anything--that alone could give me headaches that make me cry. Best of luck to you. We'll be watching the calendar.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.