Author Topic: 2 weeks post-op  (Read 1457 times)

Kathy M

• Kathy
2 weeks post-op
« on: January 28, 2009, 05:40:32 pm »
Wow has this been an amazing two weeks!  2 weeks ago,  I came out of an 8 hour surgery really well.  Still doing ok, but now all that I've read about the ups and downs of recovery are coming home!  I got my staples out on Monday and I'm back on steroids following some horrifically long nights of headaches.  I'm also on a new pain med. My physical therapy started at home this week and the assistant said today that I have a 102 degree fever.  I was a little alarmed but he said not to be.  (Is that ok?)  He said that sometimes with the increase in steroids, that happens.  I left a message on the nurses's voice mail today just in case, but haven't heard back (she might be snowed / iced in with this midwest winter storm).  Right now, I feel pretty good (perhaps a steroid euphoria), but know tomorrow all bets could be off! 

That's it for now....I think my husband is cooking dinner! (I am so lucky!!!!)
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: 2 weeks post-op
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 05:58:45 pm »
Glad you're doing well so quickly aside from the dreaded headaches and now fever.  I'm sure that steroids can cause an elevation of fever among other things.  You're right to confirm with your doctor/nurse.  Just remember, slow and steady wins the race.  It's not a sprint but a marathon, recovery is.  So long as you are making progress, no matter how small, then you're doing just fine..

Congrats on how far you've come so quickly!  At two weeks, I was still groggy, tired, and couldn't put but a few sentences together coherently on the computer (one-handed because the AN side was so weak).

Stay warm!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 06:03:39 pm »
Kathy,
You do seem to be doing well.  I also had a fever briefly in the hospital that could have been caused by steroids because it cleared up pretty quickly.  Good luck and take good care of yourself.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 07:26:59 am »
Hi Kathy,

Aside from your headaches, which I hope subside quickly, it sounds like you're having a wonderful recovery.  Let your husband and daughter spoil you now, you deserve to be pampered.  Rest and do your vestibular exercises and you'll be back in the pink before you know it.

Wishing you continued good healing,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 12:15:15 pm »
Kathy:

Congratulations on your recovery.  Although the headaches are unfortunate, I hope they'll soon pass and you'll be back on track to the full recovery I know you're going to have.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.