Author Topic: Zeek's doing great!  (Read 2583 times)

zeek

Zeek's doing great!
« on: January 22, 2009, 10:19:05 pm »
Hello everyone, I just returned from my 7 night carribean cruise. It's been about a year now since my A.N. operation, and I couldn't feel better. I just want people to know that there is hope, and you can recover and have a life again. Yes, I cannot hear a thing out of my left ear, but thank God he gave me two. My nerve pain in my hand never did heal yet. ( they bruised a nerve sticking a needle in) But you know, when I was on my cruise, I forgot all about the numbness and tingleing. I still have hope it will return to normal. My overall body strength is back to pre-op levels. My balance is better than before the operation. All that beach time I had at 87 degrees and sun was just what the doctor called for! The only worry I have is if something would happened to my good ear. That would be devastating to me. Is there any virus or anything you can think of that could wipe out my hearing? Or should I just blindly go thru life thinking it will never happen? Good health to all!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Zeek's doing great!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 10:27:40 pm »
Zeek -

it's so great to read positive posts from you!!  I remember a time, not so long ago, when things seemed fairly bleak - at least from your perspective.

I'm glad life is back to being wonderful again - although I have to admit I'm extremely jealous of your Carribean Cruise.  Especially since I've been stuck in Chicago with about 14 inches of snow and many very cold days.  Life just doesn't seem fair, somehow  ;D  But I'm glad that one of us had sun and 87 degrees! 

No offense, but next time I think it should be ME  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

zeek

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 10:51:21 am »
I feel for you being trapped in Chicago. Back in 1979 we had a horrible blizzard that seemed to last for ever. Endless cloudly days shoveling snow. What I wouldn't have gave to get out of here, but it was not possible. I just had to ride it out. Surely you can find some way, somehow, to get away somewhere warm and sunny, if only for a few days. It does so much to give you a mental boost to get thru the winter. I have a dream for next winter, but money will probably stop me from doing it. I've always wanted to go to "Carnival at Rio De Janeiro Brazil" But, it does cost alot of money to go that far and hotels are higher then. ( Maybe I can take up a collection at church?) Naw, no-one would go for that one! By the way, I'm still on the board of a new charity to help the poor in India, but getting things set up is very slow. I'm looking forward to doing something for someone else for a change. Well, good health!

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 01:02:02 pm »
Hi Zeek,
Welcome back!  I'm glad to hear your cruise was so wonderful and I have to admit I am just a little jealous too.  ;D   Until today it has been in the teens here -- today is now a balmy 36 degrees!  :D 

As for your question about your other ear, it has always been my personal feeling that we shouldn't borrow trouble or worry when there's nothing to worry about.  Anything can happen to anyone and unless you are having a problem it sounds like your life is getting back to normal -- truly a wonderful thing, so enjoy it!  If you are really concerned, see you doc and have a thorough check-up including a hearing test.  Hopefully, that will put your mind at rest.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 02:05:07 pm »
Hey, Zeek!

Thanks for checking in with your positive progress report.  I'm pleased to learn that you're doing so well in your recovery because it wasn't always this way for you, as I recall. 

Although I live in New England - where we get plenty of cold and snow - I'm not jealous of your Caribbean cruise.  You deserved a vacation and it probably helped your healing. Oh, I'd like to get away to a warm climate for awhile, but I've done that before.  It does break up the winter but having seen over 60 winters, they don't really depress me all that much. Time flies and I like looking forward to spring, which is always a bit of a surprise when it arrives, because after six months of dealing with cold, snow, ice and needing heavy clothes, it seems passing strange to see the grass and trees turning green again with the sun feeling warm on your skin as you realize you only need some light clothes, now. Come spring, my spirits soar like a kid out of school for the summer, even at this stage of my life.  I hold on to those thoughts during the winter months and they help make it quite bearable.  Not that I wouldn't like to be in the Caribbean !

I'm sorry to learn that your hand has not recovered fully as yet but like you, I trust that it will, in time.  I concur with the inestimable Wendy that although our having hearing in only one ear does make us somewhat vulnerable, it serves no real purpose to worry about losing the hearing in that ear for whatever reason.  Naturally, we protect the 'good' ear as much as possible.  We're certainly not blind to the possibility of losing 100% of our hearing - but we don't obsess over that rather remote possibility.  Well, I don't.  I hope you won't, either.  As I see it, that isn't being 'blind', it's simply being practical and using common sense. 

Thanks again for the upbeat message on your recovery and your encouragement to those just beginning the 'AN Journey' - that there really is 'a light at the end of the AN tunnel'.  It may or may not come from the Caribbean sun shining on you in mid-winter - but it shines all the same.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 02:56:46 pm »
Glad you had a great time, Zeek, on your vacation.  My hubby and I are going on a cruise around the Hawaiian Islands in March.  It's nice to get a break away for a change.

I think you should go blindly on your way into your new life without worrying about your good ear.  Yes, of course, something could suddenly take away your good ear,(and MY ear, now that I think about it.    :o   ) but we have to go with the odds and odds are in your favor that something like that won't happen.  So, take care of your hearing as best that you can, and go with the flow. 

Take care,

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

zeek

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 03:28:22 pm »
Thanks for the kinds words. Something else I just thought of to as to regard to us loosing hearing in our good ears. And that is even though today they may not be able to restore hearing, who knows 10, 20 or 30 years from now they might have a way. One never knows. We can always hope with modern medicine what can happen.

Cheryl R

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 04:20:23 pm »
They are coming up more and more with new technology with cochlear implants.            If one can keep an intact acoustic nerve than one has a chance with the use of one.         I came so close last spring to thinking I was going to get one.           I still cannot believe that I got my hearing back most of the way with mid fossa on my only good side.                 I know I have posted this way too many times but words can never show how grateful I am.               Being close to totally deaf was very scary.            There are others here who have been thru even more and know the meaning of the ABI!                                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 05:49:44 pm »
Cheryl,
You're right about the advances they're making with Choclear implants and my doc kept my cochlear nerve in for that very reason.  He told me I might be a candidate for a cochlear implant in 10 - 15 years if they improve as much as he thinks they will.  Of course, by then, if I'm stil hearing well with my BAHA I probably won't want any more surgery.  My BAHA surgery was my 8th operation -- I think that's enough to last a lifetime, especially if further surgery isn't absolutely necessary.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again -- I am so very happy for you that the doctors were able to save your hearing when you had your middle fossa surgery.  Being deaf in one ear is quite enough.

Wishing you only good things,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 03:52:57 pm »
Ahoy Zeek! Aren't nuthin' like them crystal clear blue waters and white sand beaches o' me homeports o' the Caribbean to do a body good in the dead o' winter!  I spent most of my life in that part of the world and a great deal of it island-hopping so's I know you had a good time. So glad you got to go and enjoy it! We are all envious as hell but really happy for one of our own!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 03:55:19 pm »
Collection at church, huh, Zeek?

I just might have to try that one  ;)  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways