Author Topic: new and confused  (Read 7787 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: new and confused
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 11:49:33 am »
Vivian,

Welcome to the forum.  Its okay to be nervous and scared.  We've all been there.  I've said it recently before, but I'll say it again.. someone very wise once said that it's okay to be nervous as long as the butterflies fly in formation.  You are right that that vast majority of AN's are benign (a VERY small percentage of them are found not to be, but it's so small that it shouldn't be of concern) and I can tell you based on what I've read and seen, surgery is much better today than it used to be.  Much of that is attributed to more experience with treating ANs (both with surgery and radiation).

Anyhow, welcome to our little group.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

cbp

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 11:56:45 am »
Hi Vivian-
You are right, it is hard to stop thinking about, especially when you experience symptoms on a daily basis. I think deciding on which treatment to pursue was probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I researched throughly, talked with other AN'rs, got second and third opinions and certainly took some time before making my decision. I'm sure you will find that as you move forward you will also come to a decision that is best for you. You're right to focus on the positives the situation we find ourselves in.
Have you decided on a treatment yet or are you still in the initial stages of just trying to process the information you have found?
Hang in there!
Camille
Diagnosed Nov. 1, 08
1.6x1.5cm Right AN, secondary Right AN 4mm
Cyberknife at Barrows Neurological Institute, Phoenix, AZ
Feb. 24,25,26
Now playing the waiting game.

Vivian B.

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 03:42:08 pm »
Hi Brian and Camille,

Thank you both for replying to me. I was trying to find people that I can talk to and my daughter found this forum for me. I am not sure where you guys are getting your treatment. I am wondering if anybody in this forum is from Canada?

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 04:36:20 pm »
I'm not from Canada (actually, Texas which is quite a trek from Canada but Niagra Falls is BEAUTIFUL!).   We have several Canadians here.  In fact, Donnalynn is from Canada if memory serves as is yardtick / AnneMarie (I think).  Unfortunately, Donnalynn's husband is having surgery today so she may not be able to help, but perhaps other Canadians will jump in here.

Regards,
Brian
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.

Vivian B.

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 05:16:09 pm »
Hi Brian,

Thanks for replying. I have been noticing that a lot of people have had translab surgery? What exactly is that?
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 09:56:53 pm »
Not sure a lot compared to retrosigmoid, but in layman terms they make an incision behind the ear and get to the tumor through the inner ear. By doing so they remove many of the parts used for hearing. Hearing loss is a given, but there's a better chance in theory that damage to the facial nerve is reduced. In retrosigmoid, an incision is made further behind the ear and entry is made behind the inner ear to save hearing (maybe) and the brain is carefully moved aside. Because of that movement there is a theoretical higher risk for post-op headaches and CSF leaks.

See the ANA website for a more detailed explaination of the differnces in the various methods. Surgeons tend to favor one approach over the other based on their own experieces. Others will favor one over the other based on the size a location of the tumor of the patient.  Both I think are equally valid depending on the goal.

Does that help?

Regards,
Brian

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 10:56:18 pm »
Hi, Vivian and welcome to the forum.

I'm not from Canada either, but we do have lots of forumites who are. 

Brian did a great job of explaining translab vs retrosigmoid.  I just wanted to point out that although there are a lot of "theoretical risks" I had retrosigmoid and I have no facial paralysis, no post op headaches, and I did not have a CSF leak.  Not bragging, just wanted to stress that everyone is different and their AN journey is different.

In addition to all the valuable information on this website, the ANA also has informational brochures that they will send you upon request.  I highly recommend them.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways