Author Topic: GK (or CK) doctors in NY  (Read 2879 times)

allegro17

GK (or CK) doctors in NY
« on: January 20, 2009, 03:20:57 pm »
Thanks again for all the advice you guys have been giving.  I am fairly sure I want to pursue radiation treatment, so now I need to find a good doctor!

I spoke with Dr. Chang at Stanford and felt totally comfortable with him, and based on that plus glowing reviews from people here I don't think I would need to look any further for CK treatment if that is what I choose.  I also hear great things about Dr. Medberry - anyone with personal experience?  What about CK in NY?

As far as GK, I have been given some leads to doctors who do this in NY - namely Dr. Golfinos, Dr. Sisti, and Dr. Pannullo.  Since my all of my family lives in NY it would seem logical to do GK there (if I choose GK), provided there is a really great doctor there.  Is this who I should be looking at for GK surgery or do I need to go to a place like Pittsburgh?  Any GK reccommendations in NY?

Thanks for putting up with all the questions - you've all been a huge help.

Laura

Tisha

Re: GK (or CK) doctors in NY
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 04:53:21 pm »
Hi!

Just out of curiosity, what would be your reasons to choose GK or CK?  With GK there is only a 30% hearing preservation rate, compared to 75 - 80% with CK.  Also, the CK machine has less than .7mm error range (not sure the proper technical description).

One of the reasons I chose the expense of flying and staying a week at Stanford was the experience of Dr. Chang and his team.  Although the machine does the work, they are the people who "put" together the plan of attack.   You might find it worthwhile to see what CK centers there are in NY, and then ask how many AN's they've treated.  Just for me...anything less than 50 I wouldn't do.  But that's just me.

Good luck.  I"m glad you had the chance to speak with Dr. Chang.  He's as personable and easy-going in person.  Tisha
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys

mk

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 06:39:56 pm »
Hi Tisha,

I was wondering where you are getting your statistics about hearing preservation. From what I have read the hearing preservation with GK is more like 50-60%, about 15% less than CK. However long term data have been more readily available for GK, since it has been around for longer, so it is a bit hard to compare. Another important point is that most of the data reported for GK back in the 90s were obtained when much higher radiation doses were used, so that the data may be a bit skewed. When comparing different studies on GK outcomes it is important to note what radiation doses they refer to.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Tisha

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 07:22:24 pm »
Hi Marianna,

Since you've had GK you most likely are more up to date with the facts than I am.  I don't specifically remember where I've seen that statistic, but it was in some study.  If I find it I'll let you know.

allegro17

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 10:15:53 pm »
Hi Tisha,

I don't have any usable hearing left in my AN ear, so that is why the hearing preservation statistic is not the most important one to me.  That likely wont be the reason I choose one treatment over the other.  Still, Dr. Chang did bring up that I may still be able to use even a bit of the ear for sound location.  I think it is so little that I wouldn't miss it much, but will at least consider that through the process.

Tisha

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 07:20:43 am »
Hi,

Well if that's the case I wouldn't worry about GK and hearing preservation either, and would strongly pursue that option since it would be easier to stay out east.  Plus, you do have the decades of statistics behind it, and only have to get zapped once.  Let us know what information you find out!  Tisha

Mickey

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 09:59:43 am »
Hi, I know that the GK at NYU with Dr. Galfinos has been around for quite some time. I`m sure you can get a good past performance anaylisis. At the same time I guess you can do your homework of everthing else available. Personally Dr. Roland and Golfinos are my Dr.`s of choice if I ever decide to do something. (W+W). Let us know how you make out. Best Wishes, Mickey