Author Topic: Recovery time following Linac, GK or CK  (Read 5372 times)

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
Recovery time following Linac, GK or CK
« on: January 18, 2009, 04:22:09 pm »
Hi all,

I'm faced with the prospect of either a one off hit with a Linac (similar but slightly different to GK) or a fractionated approach.

I'm interested to hear recovery times from either approach - that is, hoe long did you have to wait until you could go back to work.

cheers

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

sgerrard

Re: Recovery time following Linac, GK or CK
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 04:44:08 pm »
Hi Laz,

I had my last of three CK zaps on a Friday, and was back at work the following Monday. I was not 100% for a few months, with fatigue days and pressure days, but I was able to show up, anyway, and get something done most of the time. I think that is a pretty common experience, with maybe more fatigue the first week if you get your radiation all in one day.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 05:21:43 pm »
Larry: 

for what it's worth, I underwent FSR (Linac) - 26 daily 'low-dose' hits - and suffered no discernible negative effects.  I'm retired, but I could have been working and remained unaffected by the FSR.  I drove myself on the daily 62-mile round trip. No problem.  On the basis of the practically non-existent ramifications of the treatment, I recommend it.  I hope it's available to you.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

carter

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 05:52:30 pm »
i finished 3 doses of ck last Tuesday.   jan 13.

i worked day 1 - day 2 also.

day 3, i worked about 5 hours.  tues

i took off the day after treatment.  wed.

Thursday - i worked about 5 hours.

friday -i worked ABOUT 7 TO 8 HOURS.   

TOMMORROW, I WILL FLY TO SAN FRANCISCO FOR 3 DAYS

Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 06:32:30 pm »
Thx for the responses guys - I'm starting to feel more relaxed because when i had surgery - i was out of work for 6 weeks recuperating - and being self employed - well thats a tough one especially in the current economic climate.

i guess the "up and about time" is dependant on how well the treatment went and how the body responds but the positive news so far is encouraging.

cheers

Laz
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW

mk

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 08:08:30 pm »
Laz,

I asked my employer for the entire week off after my GK, because I thought that I would need it for my recovery. I could have gone to work the next day, I didn't have any symptoms, except from some swelling on the forehead because of the frame. That took 2-3 days to go away completely. Other than that, I didn't miss a day of work.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 09:03:05 pm »
I felt great walking out the door after my GK treatment.  Only had a slight headache for a couple of days and took Tylenol.  Pin sites were no big deal.  Third day out went on a six mile walk.  Fifth day out got hit with a balance issue that resolved itself.  Back to my volunteer work (not working right now) exactly a week later.  Fatigue has been the hardest.  Just have to pace yourself.  Little things will crop up here and there.  I am only three months out so I don't have a lot of experience under my belt.  Best thing for me so far.....I haven't lost any hearing post GK.  Nancy ;D
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Tumbleweed

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 09:47:54 pm »
Hi, Laz:

I am probably the exception, but I was profoundly exhausted for most of the two weeks after CK, with only a brief respite around days 5 through 8 post-treatment. At the 2-week mark, I went on a very demanding business trip with loooooooong work hours; did okay til I got home and then collapsed. (Read: I did too much too soon.) At the one-month mark, I slowly began to recover my energy. By the 2-month mark, I was beginning to rally strongly. At the 3-month mark (and since), I felt my energy level had virtually rebounded 100% back to what it was before treatment.

Much depends on the size of the tumor and its location. But exactly how you'll respond to radiotherapy remains largely a crapshoot.

FWIW, if I had to do it all over, I'd do it exactly the same way (except for the business trip!  ::)  ).

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 06:09:43 am »
Hey, my VERY dear Laz!

Same boat for me as with Steve and Tumbleweed! I finished my "fractionated" (CK) on a Friday, back at work Monday. Fatigue set in and I just set my pace with how my body was reacting.  Chose fractionated (in my case) for hearing preservation.

I know you have been riddled with feeling like crap a lot.... so regardless of what you choose (where's the Captn when we need her?), it's time for your AN to "die sucker, die!" :)

I'm behind you all the way!
xoxoxoxo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 09:33:22 am »
I had my GK on a Friday...stayed overnight (standard steroid treatments/swelling monitoring)...went home Saturday, returned to work Monday.

I felt a little tired on Saturday, like I did a whole bunch of yardwork.  No headaches, or any other side effects immediately after treatment.  I drove home from UVA about an hour and a half drive with my wife.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 09:35:31 am by GM »
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 07:35:14 pm »
Thx guys,

A fairly common theme with the odd exception but by and large, I'm confident i have made the right decision

cheers

Laz
Chronologer of the PBW

Tumbleweed

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 01:12:07 am »
Laz, are you leaning toward Linac or fractionated? Just curious.

TW

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 04:09:53 pm »
Hi guys,

I've pretty much decided that i will have a fractionated approach. TW, the machine in Oz is a Linac machine. i will have 5 treatments and a total of 22Gy. this seems to be about the norm. I've booked it for just after easter.

because my AN is pressing on the brain stem, it was advised that a fractionated approach is better than a single hit. I must say that it didn't take long for me to agree to that coz the thought of a helmet screwed into my head for the single hit approach was not appealing.

Oh well, just got to get on with it now.

laz
Chronologer of the PBW

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 04:32:18 pm »
YAY! A decision!!!!!!!! I'm behind you 200%! Please plu-eeeeeze keep me updated!!!!!!!!!!

xoxo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Tumbleweed

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 02:16:08 am »
Hi, Laz:

It sounds like you've made a great choice, and one which incidentally I would've made, too, if I lived in your area.

One note of interest but which you might already know: if the 22 Gy you referred to was derived by simply adding up the Gy for each treatment to reach a total figure, the biologically equivalent dose (or the equivalent dose in Gy if it was all delivered in one dose) will actually be less than that. For example, I got around 6 Gy for each of my three CK treatments, yet the biologically equivalent dose was -- if I remember correctly -- somewhere in the11.5 to 13 Gy range and not 18 Gy (I'd have to look in my notes to jar my memory for the exact figure).

Best wishes for a successful treatment and ultra-fast recovery, Laz!

TW