Author Topic: Goal accomplished!  (Read 5321 times)

texsooner

Goal accomplished!
« on: January 18, 2009, 02:33:09 pm »
Just dropping a note to let y'all know I successfully ran the Houston Half Marathon(13.1 miles) this morning. It's only the 2nd half marathon that I've run(did the same event last year). While I didn't beat my time from last year, I set different goals(mainly to finish) and I did that in pretty decent shape. I did finish in the top 29% of all runners doing the half marathon and in the top 40% for my age/gender group....so guess I'm pretty happy about that. My wife told me that I probably finished in the top 1% of all runners who had brain surgery within the last year...that kind of puts things into perspective.

My head, eyes and balance didn't give me much trouble...I'm very thankful for that. The only issue I had was after the finish when I was slowly walking to the reception area....I got pretty wobbly(happens more when I walk slowly....and I guess running that far may have had something to do with it too!).

I'll try to post a pic when they're available. Thanks for all the encouragement from many of you folks.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

sgerrard

Re: Goal accomplished!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 02:52:21 pm »
My wife told me that I probably finished in the top 1% of all runners who had brain surgery within the last year...that kind of puts things into perspective. 

Well done, Patrick! You are in first place in my book.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

NL

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 02:53:43 pm »
Patrick,

Congratulations! What an accomplishment!

My wife told me that I probably finished in the top 1% of all runners who had brain surgery within the last year...that kind of puts things into perspective.

And I think your wife has a great point!

Thanks for sharing your good news!

Nancy L
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 03:12:00 pm »

Patrick:

As someone who gets tired just thinking about running for over 13 miles, you have my respect and admiration.  Congratulations on a great accomplishment!  :)

By the way, not only is your wife correct in her assessment of your run but her perspective is excellent.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 03:16:25 pm »
Patrick,
I am impressed.  What a job well done!  Can't wait to see the pictures................and I agree with your wife!

Brenda

PS  February 21 AN Support meeting is going to be at the Aldine Branch Library, Meeting Room  11331 Airline Drive, Houston,TX 77037
From 1:30 to 3:30
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 07:13:57 pm »
Way to go, Patirick!  Congratulations on even attempting the half, much less finishing it and ahead of most of the pack!  Wow!  I did two half-marathons last year and I know how great you felt - what a feeling it is and doubly so for you this time because of your detour with the AN.  Get some good food and rest tonight!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

lori67

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 10:46:21 pm »
Patrick,

Congratulations!  What an awesome accomplishment!  You deserve to celebrate!  Well, maybe rest tonight and celebrate tomorrow!   :D 

My favorite running quote (and I can't remember the name of the guy who said it)  - "the miracle is not that I finished - it's that I had the courage to start". 

And I agree with your wife too.  Smart lady!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

LADavid

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 11:34:30 pm »
Yea, Patrick.  Very cool and a great accomplishment in such a short time after surgery.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 10:16:29 am »
Patrick~

A great big WHOO-HOO to you!!  My BIL ran also but I don't know how he came out.  My MIL told me the time but since I didn't know any others times, it didn't mean a whole lot to me.  However, in my book YOU beat everyone out because of what you had overcome to get to the finish line!!
Way to Go!!  Maybe one of these days I will join you!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 11:15:35 am »
Patrick,
As a former runner who gets a headache just skipping a few yards now I am otally envious but so very happy for you. You are truly an inspiration to others on this forum.  A hearty YO HO and congrats and thanks for the HOPE!

Capt Deb8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 11:27:45 am »
Patrick,
That is a great accomplishment, congratulations.  (I once ran a half, way before my tumor, and swore I'd never do it again.) Bravo!
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 02:24:26 pm »
Congratulations, Patrick!  I'm in Houston, too, and have only begun to think about possibly, maybe at some point in the future running in the Half / Full Marathon.  I joked with a buddy who ran the full thing that if he had 26 miles to go somewhere, he could get there quicker in his car.  He didn't find it funny.  I wonder why?  Great job for you in running in the half marathon!  That's great!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

texsooner

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 07:47:30 pm »
Here's some ugly pics as proof. First pic is about the 7 mile mark and the 2nd one is at the finish. You can see the ladies beside and behind me at the finish celebrating....I wanted to do that, but was too tired to raise my arms!

My goal next year will be to beat my time from 2008 and then the year after that I might celebrate being 50 by doing the full marathon.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 08:22:37 pm »
Not that we didn't believe you or anything, but it's great to see documented proof of the event!  What a great milestone for you!  Congratulations again!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 09:36:59 pm »
Congratulations, Patrick!

Huge accomplishment - even for those who haven't had AN surgery - you should definitely be proud of yourself.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways