Author Topic: A New Year. A New ME + 1  (Read 10857 times)

wendysig

Re: A New Year. A New ME + 1
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 01:51:37 pm »
Brian -
Ive always meant to comment on this -- I guess we've all been having fun the wrong way!  ;D

Angie - Sorry for the hijack but it had to be said! 

Sending you wellness wishies -- try saltines for your nausea -- I didn't have it very long but for the short time I did they worked for me.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 02:45:15 pm »
Haha!  That's not exactly what the song is about if you listen to it (about a guy who hits numerous bars and hony tonks to attempt to forget about a woman in his life; hence having fun all wrong) but I aptly use it to describe my diagnosis and recovery thus far.  If true, we've all definitely been having fun the wrong way to deserve a tumor!

One thing that I've learned through all of this is that you MUST continue to have fun in your life despite being diagnosed and despite any "issues" with treatment.  Your attitude through this whole thing is paramount.  What better way to improve your attitude than to have fun with life despite what it's thrown your way?  For example, I've LOVED country music, both live and going dancing.  As many recall, I was 3 weeks post op and went to see a country concert (in the 3rd row no less!) and I've been dancing numerous times since surgery.  Is it the same as it was?  NO!  But, darnit I refuse to have nothing but a good time!  Luckily, Jenni has been with me on that front as she doesn't let me sit still doing nothing very long.  And, with two kids under the age of 10 (8 and 3!), I really have all the blessings around me that one could need, not to mention the motivation to keep active.

I've really learned alot about myself, about those people around me (both whom I'm close to and those that are complete strangers), about the people on this forum, and about LIFE in general over the last 9 months.  There's nothing like the roller coaster of an AN diagnosis and treatment to put things into perspective for you.  I don't wish a diagnosis of an AN on anyone, but I hope that everyone gets a chance to have the same enlightenment that has been brought to me.  As another great country song goes, everyone should "live like you were dying".

Okay, I'll jump off my soap box now..  WEE!  :)

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 02:49:10 pm »
Yahoooooo for you!
What a great way to get your mind off of your facial issues. This is very exciting news for you and your family.
Best wishes.
;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 03:33:26 pm »
Ooh, congratulations and best wishes for a healthy, happy baby.  I love babies.

I love naming the babies, but since I'm an old fuddy duddy now, I have trouble with some of the names that are out there at the moment.  I have a young friend and her three children are named Zachary, Ava and Landon (who are fraternal twins).  Of course, Ava is an old name and I think of the beautiful Ava Gardner. I've liked the name Zachary for a long time, I wasn't so crazy about Landon, but it grows on you and now I don't mind it so much.  Except that she just found out that a sister of hers is pg and she wants to name her baby Landon.  But it's a girl.  Isn't that weird?  Now, Landon for a girl I think is totally dumb.  My rule of thumb is that nobody should be stuck with a name that they constantly have to spell or explain or that it's not too unisex.  My husband was named Billy.  Now, all of his life he has had to say, No, not William, it's legally Billy.  Same with his brother, Tom.  He is Tommy.  I don't know what his mother was thinking.

A cousin's daughter named her new baby Grace May/Mae (not sure how it is spelled).  The middle name is after her mother-in-law.  I don't like the combination because the names don't "flow".  Two one syllable names don't sound good together.  And with Smith being the last name, it sounds odd to me. Grace May Smith.  But she's called Gracie, and I like that.  

I like Owen Wilson's name.  I kind of like the name Noah.  

When I was about 10 or so, I think I had a little crush on a boy named David.  I stuck with that name for my future son all the way.  When I finally had a baby, and it was a boy, I got my David.  My husband's middle name is Patrick.  So he is David Patrick Collins, and I love his name.  Very traditional, very old school, very Irish, but I always thought David was just such a nice name for a man. If we'd had a second son, I might have named him after our dads and he would have been Stephen Lloyd.  The girl's name I changed and changed and changed.  I loved the name Jennifer and thought it was different, and then everybody named their little girl Jennifer including my sister-in-law, so I couldn't have that one anymore.  Never had the girl, so who knows what she would have ended up with.  The last name that I liked was Laura Elizabeth.  I like Lauren for a girl, too.  See, it's hard for me to comment on what people are naming their kids now.  Finley?  Is that male or female?  It sounds a bit priggish for a boy, to me, and too masculine for a girl.  Then he/she would be called Fin, and then, what....that's part of a fish.  It's all a matter of personal taste.  When I was working at Penney's, a mother called out to her two boys to leave, and she said, "MacKenzie, Kramer, come on."  I thought, Kramer?  She named her son Kramer?  All I could think of was Kramer on Seinfeld.  That's criminal, I think!  :)

Since some of the names that are gaining popularity remind me of names from the early 1900's you might consider my grandmother's name.  Her name was Dessie Alma.  The other one was Goldie Gertrude (I'm sure you'll pick that one! HA)  My grandfathers were Otto Arleigh and John Elmer.   Now there are some names for you!  One of my favorite names in my family tree is Lafayette Bear.  My mother was Ida. That's on the same order as Ava.  Not too many Ida's out there anymore.  Strangely, my son's first girlfriend was named Ida and their first date was Dec 20, which was my mother's birthday.  Creepy, huh?

Best of luck to you and your new little one.  Go with the name that speaks to you.  I know somebody who had a name all picked out but when their boy was born, they changed it.  She said, well, he looked more like a Joel.  So, Joel it was.  

Susan Lyn (see my mother did something different, but I always have to tell people, ONE N!) Ellison Collins  (1946 was a big year for Susan's) in Vancouver USA,  

Feel free to use any of the above.  ;) ;D  Oh, and my Aunt's middle name is Re', with the little thingie over the e.  She's had a lot of people name their kids after her and use that name.  She is Joan Re'.  (pronounced ray)

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 03:56:05 pm »
Angie -- ginger is also good for nausea. Sipping ginger ale or nibbling ginger snaps is good. I think you can also get ginger tablets at a health food store.

For some reason my husband and I had a much easier time coming up with girl names than boy names. He wanted to name our son John Jacob, after his grandfather, but all I could think of was that song "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt." I liked the name Josiah, after the biblical king, but my husband thought he would get beat up on the playground with a name like that. Our son ended up with the middle names of each grandfather, which turned out to be a good compromise. It suits him.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Cheryl R

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 04:34:10 pm »
My Iowa daughter has a neighbor who named their daughter Logan.       A relative of a relative named theirs Ryan.      Poor girls.
My mother was Gertrude with no middle name.     None of the others in her large family had a middle name either.   
  To add on another note, caddywampus is an Iowa saying also.                     My kids used to laugh at my husband when he said he didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday.
                                                           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 05:11:16 pm »
Angie:

Congratulations!  I love your attitude!  :D 

I believe that naming your child is a very personal choice and involves many factors (family heritage,etc) that 'outsiders' cannot be aware of so I'll pass on suggesting names, even from a pre-determined list. 

Please know that many share your exhilaration and are wishing and praying for a safe and joyous pregnancy for you.    :)  God is good and we need to trust Him!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 05:18:06 pm »
Cheryl, I think that's really different that they didn't have middle names, considering it was such a common thing to do here. My mother was Ida Gertrude.  She was not happy with Gertrude, which is too bad.  It was her mother's middle name also.  It's a Germanic name, but for some reason she wasn't fond of it.  I have a cousin named Trudy.  I think that's a neat name.  My father, however, didn't have a middle name either.  I don't know what that was about, but he ended up with an H.  That was it, just the H.  Lloyd H.    I guess it stood for his mother's maiden name, but they didn't bother to give him the whole name, just the initial.  

I've seen stories about the various problems in Indonesia and it says that most people just go by one name.  I'm surprised there are still cultures out there that do that. You'd think with so many people, the tendency would be to have more names to identify them better.  Interesting.

And yes, it's hard for outsiders to pick a name.  It has to go with the last name and it has to feel right to the parents.  Although I did help name the before mentioned Ava.  The mom didn't know what to do for a middle name.  I asked her what her middle name was and she said Elizabeth.  I said, well, there you go.  Ava Elizabeth.  How pretty is that?  And that's what she did.  :D

Susan/Susie/Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

lori67

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 05:37:33 pm »
Cheryl,

You mean to tell me caddywampus is a real word?  I thought it was some weird southern thing!  My husband said it once about 7 years ago and I've spent all this time telling him he was making it up!  Then the first day I moved to Nashville, I heard 2 other people say it too!  And they make fun of the way we Jersey girls talk!   >:(

Angie, let's hope you have quadruplets or something so you can use all these good name suggestions!   :D

Lori
p.s.  My grandmother's name was Stella Dorothea.  Thankfully, none of us were named after her! 
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2009, 05:40:48 pm »
I've always used caddywampus.  That's a good word!   ;D 

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2009, 06:18:44 pm »
Lori, QUADS!!!!! If I had quads I wouldn't be on here asking for names for the kids but names of a good "nut house" to admit myself into to! I can NOT imagine. A friend of ours has a 2 year old son and just gave birth to triplet boys over Christmas. The thought of it makes me loony! You once again CRACKED me up.
Angie

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2009, 07:57:53 pm »
Angie,

An Italian tradition is to name the first born son after the husband's father.  My father-in-law's name is Fabio.  He is five foot nothing, in his younger years (22 years ago) looked very much like Saddam Hussein, with the personality and characteristics of Saddam and Hitler.  Now everyone reading this can well imagine he and I have had a few falling outs.  Well long story short the Christmas I was expecting our first son, there was a falling out between my husband and his father.  We did not see or speak to him until Easter.  Easter was very late in 1987, two weeks before our son was due.  With my father-in-law appearances with his fellow countrymen is everything, so he called Louie and invited us for Easter dinner.  That was his way of apologizing, so we went.

May 9th I gave birth to our son.  Louie and I named our son Joseph after his favourite deceased Uncle (Giuseppe), who passed away 5 years to the day Joseph was born.  In the delivery room we decided to add William as a middle name for my father and I said to Louie we should also add Fabio for his father.  Louie was adamant, no way his father doesn't deserve the privilege.  The next day was Mother's Day.  My in-laws visit nice and early, Louie is with me and Joseph is in his bassinet.  My in-laws fell in love with Joseph and than asked me what the baby's name is.  Oh-Oh, I knew trouble was brewing.  I told them Joseph and the reason why.  They were disappointed but agreed that Joseph was a fitting named.  Than they asked what his middle name is.....I say William for my father.....their faces drop....and than I say Fabio for Louie's father.  Well the air turned very chilly.  My mother-in-law tells me that's not the way Italian people do things.  I remind her I'm not Italian.  Louie says well it's not to late, we can change the baby's name to Joseph Fabio William.  So I pipe up and say NOPE its too late I all ready filled out the baby's birth registration and submitted it.  Not true, but a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do.  Needless to say they left in a huff.....and Louie and had a bit of a fight.  I guess Louie's Italian guilt got to him, not me...to this day Louie does not know I lied.

Okay now it gets better....my second son we named Nicholas because both loved the name, than I'm expecting our third son and we tell our families.  My father-in-law cursed me and said I will never have a girl until I name a son Fabio after him.  Needless to say our third son we named Anthony and our fourth Gabriel.  We had a difficult time coming up with a fourth boys name we both like.  Gabriel's Fire was a TV show back than and we were watching one night and Louie said how about Gabriel if this baby is a boy, I loved the name immediately.  If we had a daughter we wanted Natalie.  Oh well God has been very good to Louie and I, four healthy and handsome sons.  One of these days I will post a picture when I figure out photo-bucket.  Gabriel helped me with my profile pictures.

I hope I gave everyone a chuckle....

Anne Marie
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 08:00:10 pm by yardtick »
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Keeping Up

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2009, 08:45:14 pm »
Congratulations - I do love babies and loved being pregnant.  Cheers to a decent 9 months and a great & fun birth experience!

I love your names - Ava is a beautiful name.

I have four little ones - Kathleen, Andrew Declan and Sean.

I love all the names - but am particularly fond of Kathleen and Declan.  As a side bar to how to chose names - Declan was somewhat names after my FIL.  I loved the name Declan and wanted to name a child after my father or father in law, but that have/had not so cool names - Donald and Dudley - but a 'D' name seemed appropriate.  After naming Andrew (a very very very common name in my neighbourhood), we wanted something a bit more unique.  It ended up that ST. Declan shared Dudley's birthday day - July 24th (if I remember correctly) - it seemed fitting (well, aside from the obvious Catholic sainthood of St. Declan and the obviously NOT catholic background of my deceased FIL). Either way, the cool name has played out tremendously well - he is one cool cat of a kid.

While I wanted to stay very Irish for Seanie, we settled on a very Irish, but subtle name - it too works for his personality.  I would have love to name the babe Kieran or Eamon but it didn't work out.

So, have fun - pregnancy is grand.  Not quite sure I have the energy to handle the breastfeeding again but it got me lighter than I had been in 15 years (or maybe it was the sheer energy required to chase four kiddos!)

Good luck, have fun with the names.

(I rarely had nausea so no help there.)
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

lori67

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2009, 09:49:53 pm »
Oh, Anne Marie, Italians and their names!  In my Dad's Italian family, the tradition was to give the first born son the father's first name as his middle name.  Didn't work out so well for my dad because he had all girls.  So the big joke in my family was that every time anyone was having a baby, he wanted it to be named Joseph if it was a boy and Josephina if it was a girl!

He has 2 grandsons with Joseph as a middle name, but no grand daughters with Josephina!  Go figure.  We did have a cat growing up that was named Josephine and I talked my 6 year old into naming her goldfish Josephina.  I think that's about as good as it's going to get!

And Keeping Up - Sean was the boy name we had picked for my last two - but they're both girls, so maybe someday I'll have to talk Paige into naming a goldfish Sean!

Angie, I'm glad you got a laugh out of that!  I was afraid you were going to drive up here and beat me senseless just for suggesting such a thing!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2009, 08:05:01 am »
Ok, so while we're on the subject of funny name stories, I'll jump in.  The tradition in our family is that the first male son has a middle name that starts with a D (like David, Douglas, Don, etc..).  My father is a STAUNCH Democrat.  I'm not.  He and I know this and joke about it all the time.  So, when my son was born (not knowing it was a girl or boy until delivered), I called my father from the recovery room and said, "Well, we had a boy.. and I know about the family tradition about middle names starting with a D and so we named our new son George Dubya.."  There was silence on the other end of the phone.  Finally after what seemed like forever, I broke in and said, "Dad, I'm kidding, we named him Kyle David..."  An audible sigh came over the phone. 

So, there's my funny story to add to the mix.  :)

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager