Author Topic: A great appointment (at least for me)  (Read 3287 times)

Keeping Up

A great appointment (at least for me)
« on: January 09, 2009, 09:21:06 pm »
Went to see the ENT today - and I am feeling so much better about my situation all round.  I will post some other questions elsewhere because the ENT raised some interesting concepts I wouldn't have contemplated/considered but are valuable (or at least worthy of comment perhaps) for the entire AN crowd.

My balance tests - caloric, VEMP - came back completely normal.  I am not surprised - I have absolutely no sensation of dizziness or balance lost so I wasn't surprised.  Another audiogram suggested no change (well I noted a minor change at 4000 HZ on the audiogram, I dropped from 60db to 65db.  Otherwise, I am in the 20-30db at the mid ranges, and 0-10db at the really low ranges - so overally very very mild hearing loss).  For reference, my non-AN ear is awesome, according to the audiologist at 0-10db across the scale - I hear incredibly well off the right side.

I took a long list of questions with me - and he patiently answered them all.  I really like the doctor - practical, patient, sympathetic, knowledgeable ...

Pretty much he continues to strongly encourage the W&W - but again, as always, it is the patient's choice.  I did ask what would trigger treatment - which we focused on surgery only (I will go see a radiation oncologist to answer some of those questions) - and he inferred size is all that matters as I don't have ANY real symptoms other than mild hearing loss.   So, his comments were when the AN shows obvious growth, but wouldn't go too far or too fast until it was getting closer to 2cm in the CPA (since I am only in the IAC - I haven't even started the count-down to 2cm yet!)  It might take me years, I hope to never get there.

I have to admit, I was a bit surprised that hearing wasn't that much of a consideration ... but I will leave that for the Hearing thread. 

So, I will get a referral to a radiation oncologist to ask all my questions about GK in Canada, I have a follow-up MRI in May and in the meantime, I will continue to learn, but try to shut-out the concept of a 'brain tumor' (skull based tumor is such an odd phrase!)

I am otherwise feeling tremendously relieved and beginning the process to cease thinking about this sucker constantly!

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

Kaybo

Re: A great appointment (at least for me)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 09:27:01 pm »
Ann~
Glad to hear that you feel better about this whole thing and got news that you can live with.  Also, that you seemed to like the doctor and that he took time for YOU!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 11:09:07 pm »
Small tumor: check.
Hearing in good shape: check.
Balance in good shape: check.

Gammaknife if it grows past 1.2 cm, or starts acting up: check.  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 02:05:44 pm »
Ann -

glad you had a good appointment.  Great doctors can sometimes be hard to find, but it sounds like you've got a keeper  ;D

IMO confidence and trust in the doctor who is going to treat your AN is essential.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 01:57:26 pm »
Ann -
It's great that you found a doctor you are so comfortable with.  I felt like my doc and I clicked on my first visit, although I did continue to research and get other opinions.  I ultimately stuck with the first doctor I saw and had a wonderful outcome other than being SSD, which was expected  Good luck and best wishes,

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!