Author Topic: Things that help us cope.......Everyone help me out here.  (Read 18637 times)

Tumbleweed

Re: Things that help us cope.......Everyone help me out here.
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2009, 12:48:17 pm »
Stoneaxe:

Thanks for your inspiring words of wisdom. Good stuff to remember.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
Re: Things that help us cope.......Everyone help me out here.
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2009, 07:02:18 pm »
I saw a news braodcast today about a local Navy Seal that was wounded seriously in combat in Iraq, he took rounds from a machine-gun to his face and arm in Iraq last year. 

His story is one of motivation and honor.  His face is disfigured, and his right arm is mutated from his wounds.  He posted a bright orange sign on his hospital door after a visitor was visably shocked by his appearance and had to leave suddenly.  His words were read by Secretary of Defense Robert Gates at a recent news conference.  This Navy Seals's sign is going to be framed and hung for all wounded vetrans to see to help motivate them toward recovery.

"Attention to all who enter here. If you are coming into this room with sorrow or to feel sorry for my wounds, go elsewhere. The wounds I received I got in a job I love, doing it for people I love, supporting the freedom of a country I deeply love. I am incredibly tough and will make a full recovery. What is full? That is the absolute utmost physically my body has the ability to recover. Then I will push that about 20 percent further through sheer mental tenacity. This room you are about to enter is a room of fun, optimism, and intense rapid regrowth. If you are not prepared for that, go elsewhere."

Wow...what courage and motivation.  I hope that these words help someone tonight that is looking for such motivation.

http://www.defenselink.mil/speeches/speech.aspx?speechid=1300

Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!