Author Topic: Hotels  (Read 3220 times)

boomer

Hotels
« on: December 06, 2008, 08:31:16 am »
Those of you who went to St Vincent for surgery and has extra family come along from out of town, where was a good place for them to stay.
Seton prefers to only rent one room to my husband & I after the surgery.  Where is a good place close for the extra family to stay for a couple of days?

cindyj

Re: Hotels
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 09:23:12 am »
Hey Boomer,

My mom went to LA w/ my husband & I and she stayed at the Kyoto Grand Hotel - it's about 3 miles from St. Vincent/House and they give you a voucher for a free taxi ride to and from the hospital each day you need it.  I actually ended up spending most of my post-op time there also rather than Seton once my husband flew back home.  It is very nice and peaceful (other than the downtown LA noise that just comes with the territory).  There are some good food choices surrounding the hotel and that was a huge help to Mom and I.  There is also a lovely Japanese garden there.  The information packet I recvd from the hospital had several hotels listed, but this one worked best for us.

Feel free to PM me w/ any other questions you may have about the hotel or the LA experience in general!  When is your surgery?

Good luck!

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

boomer

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 06:19:27 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  When I made the reservation at Seton the lady did mention three hotels that are close by and the Kyoto Grand Hotel was one she mentioned.  I guess I'm in a hurry on making arrangements I haven't received my packet from the clinic yet.
My Translab is scheduled for Jan. 22.  I will probable be contacting you with more questions or concerns.  Thanks.

Boomer

mrgarlic

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 06:13:43 pm »
Greetings Boomer,,,,,,, I had my surgery Nov 2oth and stayed at Seton. Here is a hint, a big hint !!! Ask for a room on same floor as kitchen. Ask if room 303 is just across the hall. If you are standing in kitchen doorway, the room to get is to your right and first door on left. We were in a room first that was directly next to a lot of noise. no no no . Another hint, bring along a couple of lightbulbs. There is refer in room and the kitchen has all the coffee you want. There is a computer on line in kitchen ( family room ) If you want to bring your own lap top, there is a on line hook-up near office on ground floor. Any more questions, fire away, this was my second stay there.

Larry
I am not the person I used to be,
 I am becoming the pereson I am.

AN surgery 2004- Trigeminal Neuroma  surgery scheduled    Nov 2oth 2008

boomer

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 06:42:01 pm »
Thanks Larry for the hints.  I'll be sure and try to get Room 303.  I must admit I never thought about taking any light bulbs.  :)  Clinic has changed the date of my surgery from Jan 22 to Feb 5th.  Now I have even more time to get stressed out.  No, just kidding.
Boomer

LADavid

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 11:49:23 pm »
Hi Boomer
Lightbulbs?  That's a good one.  There are plenty of close by good hotels in the neighboring Koreatown -- none though in the immediate vicinity of St Vincents.  It's a relatively safe but trashy area.  If you want to PM me and let me know the price range you're looking for, I'll be glad to help you.  I know the area well -- I live about 3 miles from St Vincents.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

QRM

• Was an architect now stay at home dad
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 05:20:37 am »
I will be there for my surgery on the 28th Jan, The House has a list of the local hotels and they all offer a special House discount drop me a line and I can email it over. Though the oakwood serviced apartment prices are out of date.

Rick

2.5 cm x 1.1 cm AN 30 Oct 08  Singapore Gleneagles Hosp.
Translab on  29 Jan 09 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of HEI
Surgery a success!! had wonky head for a while and odd tastes
Everyday things are improving and getting back to normal.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 02:11:01 pm »
Ask if room 303 is just across the hall. If you are standing in kitchen doorway, the room to get is to your right and first door on left. We were in a room first that was directly next to a lot of noise.

That sounds familiar !! .. I stayed just a couple doors down.. 305? 307? ..  I just remeber sleeping a lot.. and walking half dressed to get coffee ;)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

RCB

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 01:08:13 pm »
I'm not sure about the hotels as I live in LA...but for St. Vincents...make sure you get Hermie as your nurse...i could not have made it without her (although everyone was great)...good luck and get well soon  ...(make sure you talk to your nurse at House. they will tell you what to expect regarding recovery. )