Author Topic: Computer Usage and Dizziness/Balance Issues  (Read 8656 times)

wcrimi

Computer Usage and Dizziness/Balance Issues
« on: January 07, 2009, 10:32:04 am »
I'm a heavy computer user. Lately I've been noticing a pattern to how I feel.

Typically I only have balance issues when I walk or move my head side to side (when active). I feel a lot better (though far from perfect) when I am driving, watching TV, or sitting at my desk while on the computer.

Lately, I've been feeling a little better during the first hour or so after I wake up. Then things get worse as the day goes on. THen they get better again later in the evening after I watch TV for awhile. I think I figured out the pattern. Whenever I spend a lot of time on the computer, I feel fine while I'm doing that, but right after that I feel dizzier and more disoriented when I walk and become active etc... 

Anyone else have that experience?

I'm wondering if it has somethimg to do with all the extra reading, writing, mental activity etc... or something else

« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 11:10:07 am by wcrimi »
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Computer Usage and Dizziness/Balance Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 01:19:13 pm »
Yes, I notice that too sometimes.  When I get up from working on the computer, it almost feels for a moment like my brain has forgotten how to balance.  It's not quite as bad as when I wake up in the middle of the night, but similar - more of a general sense of disorientation.  I also found that for 5 or 6 months post surgery, I got fatigued quicker when I was at the computer.  That doesn't happen much now, though.

I'll be curious to see what others have to say about this...

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 10:00:50 pm »
I definitely notice it. It seems to be short lived though and only happens when i'm sitting down. I make my living at a computer (CAD designer/piping systems) so I spend 8 hours a day at work (or did before I was laid off.. ;))...and then come home and blog, catch up on news, go to forums..etc.. I had my desk at work elevated so that I stood at my computer. The vestibular feedback I get from standing seems to be enough to counteract whatever problems staring at a CRT brings. I don't think it is strictly limited to computers though. I've found that reading of almost any type while sitting will leave me with a brief period of disorientation. Especially if I stop and then immediately stand and try to walk...spin city.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:02:22 pm by stoneaxe »
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 10:45:00 pm »
I've noticed this also.  I have attributed it to being stationary for an extended period of time, then adding in movement (forcing my balance system to actually work harder).  If you think about it, your balance system doesn't have to do much when you are just sitting there watching tv, working on the computer, etc.. but, if you are in motion walking, driving, skydiving (had to throw that in just for Kaybo), etc.. your balance system has MUCH more to compensate for a rapidly changing environment.

I'm just shorter out from surgery than Debbi, and we both still notice it.  I can say that it has gotten less noticeable over time and I even have moments when I feel "normal" in the balance department again.  Then, the elevator "dings" and I'm reminded that I'm SSD while walking into a closed elevator door. ;)

I suspect that over time (not sure how long yet; and I'm confident it's lengthier for some) that it will get better as one's body / balance system adjust.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 11:21:05 pm »
I too work at a computer all day, and spend all evening on a forum. I think it is the not moving your head that does it. The neck muscles work hard all day keeping your head still. Then when you start moving around, they are suddenly supposed to start compensating for your body movements, meaning moving your head relative to your body. It takes a little while to get them in gear, so you feel wonky.

Stoneaxe, I have to ask, what sort of pipe did you design? I ask because I work as a software developer, and one of the programs I have worked on is a system for generating CAD drawings of water pipe lines - the big stuff for pumping stations and water mains. Maybe the world is finally getting smaller...

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 11:57:00 pm »
Steve...that is what I design primarily. Water and wastewater treatment systems. Big municipal stuff, collection and distribution systems, pump stations and the treatment systems themselves. Most of what I do is with Autocad and some ad on packages.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

wcrimi

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 08:10:10 am »
I can tell you something else that knocks me for a loop. I lot of PT exercises suggest turning your head left to right back and forth.  When I tilt my head to a 45 degree angle back and forth on each side it stresses my system way more than that. I'm trying to do those sorts of things while at the computer to see if it helps at all.

1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move