Author Topic: My BAHA surgery was a piece of cake too  (Read 12930 times)

wendysig

Re: My BAHA surgery was a piece of cake too
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 07:06:38 am »
Hi K -
You're such a tease!  It's just like a little sister to say that when you know I have to wait to find out what Jan and Lori are sending me!   ;D ;D  So, are you going to become a rule breaker like your sisters or stay a goody two shoes?  :P :P :P

Jan -  I had drapes around me, but could see straight ahead and above me with my peripheral vision -- I didn't have a tunnel like you did.  I'm pretty sure there were just four of us in the OR -- me of course, Dr. Choe, the anesthesiologist and a nurse.  No one held my hand, the nurse was helping Dr. Choe.  I guess with sedation they expect you to be pretty much out of it.  Dr. Choe did seem surprised when he first realized I was awake enough to be really  aware of what was going on.  He asked me if I was okay or thought I would freak out -- I told him I was fine and I was, so I guess he decided to let me stay pretty much awake -- just not as alert as usual.  I was laying on my back with my head turned to the left and he was positioned behind me, so a lot of sound was muffled.  I don't remember hearing water but I'm sure he used it, they pretty much have to to irrigate the wound.  I didn't hear the drill as much as I felt the pressure from it either so that may be why I didn't hear the water.  I didn't feel him pulling out the hair follicles either although I know he did it.

I'm feeling a lot better today.  No headache, but now I'm noticing my jaw is a little sore, not bad though.  Unless things hurt start hurting more as the day goes on,  I probably won't take any pain meds at all, inlcuding Tylenol.   I get to shower and shampoo today.  I don't have to cover my bandage with a cup.  He just said to put a good dollop of bacitracin on it and not scrub that part of my head, just let the water and shampoo wash over it. 

Well, I'm off to have breakfast and take my shower!  See you all later.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 07:16:53 am »
Jan~
I have been known to be a rule-breaker on occasion...especially if I have partners in crime...of course I am in, I wouldn't want any fun to happen without me!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 11:16:21 am »
May I point out that I am a law-abiding citizen - complete with a halo.   ;D

I'm not sure what you rebels are suggesting.   ;)

Anyway, you ladies are brave - I wanted to be knocked out for my surgery!  I was awake for emergency surgery on my ankle once and just the sounds made me want to pass out!  I probably should have - then I wouldn't have heard anything.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

kmancini

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 12:19:39 pm »
Jan

What is the difference between the two?  I don't know which I am getting yet.  Let you know.

Karen
An surgery 4-8-08
lumbar drain 4-22-08
csf leak repair 5-30-08 7-11-08 10-6 -08and 10-24-08
BAHA on 10-24-08
university hosp in Cleveland
Dr Megarian and Dr Selman

wendysig

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 04:40:42 pm »
Hi everyone -

Well, I really enjoyed taking a shower today bv but it ended with a minor disaster -- I knocked off the healing cap and couldn't get it back on.  I called Dr. Choe and he told me if I could put it back on myself that was okay but otherwise I had to  come in to see him so he could do it for me.   I ended up going to see him and he was, thankfully, in his NewJersey office today.  Going into Manhattan would have taken close to two hours in the middle of the day (transportation is much faster during rush hours)  the New Jersey office is only a 45 minute drive. 

Jan - Now I know how you felt -- I too felt like an idiot.  I'm not sure how I knocked the cap off -- I thought I was being really careful.  I even kept my hand over the BAHA site when I  wet my hair and rinsed it.  I didn't even touch it, or at least I thought I didn't when I washed my hair.   You can bet I'll cover it with a cup from now on. That brings me to my next subject:

Jan and Lori -- You two are too much  :D :D :D :D :D!  When I got home the package you sent was waiting for me at the door.  At first I thought it was something I sent away for at Christmastime -- then I saw Jan's name.  I was mystified until I opened the box (how do you like the way I'm building the suspense for everyone else who reads this?)  When I saw my BAHA Recovery Kit, I was so touched and then I cracked up laughing!  How really sweet and thoughful of you and of course, funny!   I'm not sure what my favorite item  is because they were all so great!   They will all come in very handy except the  toothbrush which he has banned (he even threw away the toothbrush that came with my processor -- more on that in the next paragraph).   The Hershey's Kissables were a wonderful touch -- I could feel the love!  ;D ;D  Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness!!!

Dr. Choe  told me people tend to brush theirabutments too vigorously because they can't feel what they're doing and end up with chronic irritation and inflamation or overgrowth.  He also feels that toothbrushes are very unsanitary (He's very into good hygiene) because they tend to harbor bacteria.  He told me to clean the abutment with a q-tip and alcohol a few times a week after it's fully healed  and keep my hair and scalp clean -- that's it.  I guess every doc gives out their own set of instructions.   I love my BAHA Recovery Kit so much I plan to show it off to everyone I know!  I'm even going to bring it with me when I see Dr. Choe next week.  He has a great sense of humor and I know he will love it too! 

Wendy

2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 04:54:50 pm »
Wendy~
When Jan told me about it (I still don't know exactly what's in it), I thought it was such a great idea. I know you love it!!  I'm glad the Dr. was in the closer office I always tell them when stuff like that happens that I did it so they could see me again!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 07:05:22 pm »
Wendy,

You are so brave!!!  Nice to hear our "favourite sisters" with the golden halos ::) sent you a care package.  You two are great!!  It is such a pleasure to be a part of this forum.  Talk about random acts of kindness ;)

Take care Wendy,
Anne Marie

Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

wendysig

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 07:25:23 pm »
Hi K!

I guess I should have mentioned what is in my BAHA Recovery Kit - it was very thoughtful and will be very useful, plus it will make me smile every time I look at it.    It had a lovely handmade card made by Jan congratulating me on my BAHA surgery; a bookmark/banner that has "Congratulations" stamped on the front and a card attached on the back has my name and the date of my surgery; a nice big tube of Bacitracin (this will come in very handy -- I'll be using a  lot of this!);a bottle of Dawn -- also very handy;  batteries for my BAHA processor -- you can never have too many of these; a plastic cup to hold over my BAHA site when I wash my hair -- you can bet I'll be using this until the healing cap and bandage come off; a baby toothbrush made by Reach that stands up -- also very nice; two packages of Hershey's Kissables to make me feel better -- chocolate does it every time!  All of this came in a very nice red  foam gift bag to keep my kit contents stored  in.  All in all, a very thoughtful and wonderful gift!

My thanks again to Jan and Lori -- You two are just great!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Dawn

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 07:47:37 pm »
Hi Wendy,

Sorry to hear about your sad ending to such a wonderful shower!!  It is great your doctor has office in NJ as I know exactly what you mean about the commute and today was horrible. I was late getting to work myself.  By the way....loved the pics of your headwear, you made it look cool!!!

Glad to hear your feeling better!!!

Dawn
Diagnosed 12/08...4mm Left AN in IAC...Wait and Watch for now...Next MRI scheduled for 8/09 Doctors not sure if its AN, Lipoma or Hemangioma????

Also diagnosed with Chiari I Malformation - looking into options for that

lori67

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 08:54:38 pm »
Wendy -

Glad your care package got there okay and that things went fairly well with your shower.  These things happen!

I think it's funny that your doctor is afraid you'll scrub too hard with the toothbrush that comes with the processor.  Has he felt that thing?  I think you could apply more pressure with a cotton ball than with that!  ha ha!    I guess it's always better to be cautious when it comes to bolts in your head.   :D

Now, be careful in the shower tomorrow!  No more road trips to NJ!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 09:05:03 pm »
Wendy,

Glad to hear that your BAHA surgery went well!

And I'm so glad I'm not the only one whose doctor is opposed to the toothbrush technique!!! One of my doctors at House told me that he discourages the use of the brush because people tend to brush too vigorously and it causes more trouble than it's worth.

Looking forward to meeting you on Saturday.

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

wendysig

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2009, 12:11:07 am »
Hi Ann Marie,
Sorry it looked like I skipped over you.  I'm not sure I would say I'm brave -- the BAHA surgery sounded pretty straightforward and Jan, Lori and Tammy all assured me it was pretty easy going.  It was great to have input from people who have had it and made my decision much easier.  I also did a lot of reading on my own and thought BAHA sounded pretty neat and something I would much prefer over Transear.  I just can't imagine having something in my ear for the rest of my life.  BAHA seems like it will feel very natural after I finish healing too. 

I hope you are feeling well and had a wonderful holiday.  Hopefully this year will be better for us all!

Wendy

P.S.  I have to agree it was pretty terrific of Jan and Lori to send me my BAHA Recovery Kit -- I really love it!
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

wendysig

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2009, 12:20:15 am »
Hi Catherine,

Dr. Choe went to medical school and did his internship, residency and fellowship in California so maybe this is a West Coast line of thinking,  He raised some very good points and has yet to steer me wrong so I won't argue.  As I said, it seems that each doctor has their own preferences -- I won't say any one is better than the other but I will follow his advice.  I can't wait for Saturday, it should be a lot of fun to meet everyone I don't know yet and see Debbi, Eve and Joe again!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2009, 09:31:38 am »
Wendy, Wendy, Wendy!  You KNOCKED your cover off????  Only you would have such a tragic end to an otherwise delightful shower! 

Lori, I'm with you - I want to be knocked OUT for any kind of surgery.  I am a great big sissy.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2009, 08:40:15 pm »
Jan

What is the difference between the two?

Karen -

the Intenso is stronger than the Divino.  I have a Divino because the hearing in my "good" ear is 100%   If it was less than 100% I could have chosen the Intenso. 

I also think the Intenso is a slight bit smaller than the Divino.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways