Author Topic: Social Security Disability  (Read 1750 times)

thecakes

Social Security Disability
« on: February 06, 2006, 09:14:39 am »
    I had many complications during the surgery and I do get SS .{ Since 03}  I was told that after 3 years I will be up for review.  Can anyone help me with this?  the cakes   tell me what you know about SS, please.

Raydean

Re: Social Security Disability
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 05:00:35 pm »
Please don't over worry about the upcomming review.  Basically, it's a question for them.  Most people are able to resume much of their former lifes by the 2 to 3 year post treatment time frame.
The question becomes "what makes your case different? 

You will have paperwork much like the kind you did when you first applied. 
They will contact any of your doctors that you are currently under care of.   If you aren't under the care of anyone they may have set you up with a evaluation with a doctor of their choice  If you receive a notice of this do take the time to call and ask the Doctors experience with AN, complications or brain injury.  Ask the same questions as you would any other doctor that you were considering seeing.  (The person to call will be listed on your notice.

Since my husband was not under the care of the treating doctors, they did ask for an evaluation.
I wasn't famliar with the doctor's name I asked questions about the doctor's experience with giant AN's, brain injury and hydrocephalus..  They called me back and cancelled the first doctor, redcheduled with another who turned out to be  fantastic doctor, experienced in the area of brain injury and was able to answer many questions that I had.  her evaluation was indepth, clear,  and direct.  My husban'd review was at the post 2 year from last surgery (2 1/2 years post first surgery)
The evaulation was the first and last one and that was 5 years ago.

Keep track of problems as you experience them, write them down for reference.  Most people are denied due to lack of information, not having a clear picture  of how impacted your life is.  Being able to give them a clear picture will help .   It may help to draw a simple stick figure and seperate the body into sections and then write down everything, AN related and non AN related. that affects each section.

Hang in there!!!  You'll handle this great, like you have everything else.
Raydean

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.