Author Topic: CROS. hearing aids  (Read 1673 times)

Kathleen_Mc

CROS. hearing aids
« on: February 06, 2006, 08:27:48 am »
I have recieved a few P.M.'s asking questions about the CROS hearing aids and I have tried to respond but am unsure if they went so I thought I would put a posting here for all present and future members to know my experience with them.
I have the CROS hearing aid set. I got them and initally found them very difficult to get used to. I way they work is on the "bad" ear goes an aid that picks up sound and sent it to the aid on the "good" ear therefor giving you the hearing of two ears in one.
It takes time to get used to physically wearing them and to adjust to hearing with them. They do amplify the hearing of you functional ear and this can be frustrating. In terma of adjustment keep putting them on everyday and wear them for increasingly longer periods of time and you will adjust.
I found them frustrating in crowds because I still couldn't hear the person beside me but could hear the people across the room (very handy though if people think they can still talk about you while you're in the room ;)).
Unfortantly I was not taught how to clean them properly and the one got ruined and the company has never got it fixed properly and I have adjusted to being how I am. I am now able to get the government grant again to pay for part of them but I'm just not interested anymore.
Many older people are unable to adjust to hearing aids because they find them "too noisy" and that is because they have gradually lost thier hearing and anyone who tries a hearing aid after a period of not hearing fully will find this a problem.....persistance is the key.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)