Author Topic: A very eventful week  (Read 3629 times)

Lainie181818

A very eventful week
« on: December 23, 2008, 12:28:36 pm »
I have had a roller coaster 2 weeks to say the least. 4 weeks after my " clean MRI " I received 2 phone calls from House clinic, [ Dr's Brackman & Friedman ] they said that something minute had been found that was either regrowth, nothing, or basically crap left over from the surgery. I have to go back in 6 months for another MRI. They suggested 1 year I suggested 6 months. I am now a Freshman in the " wait and watch " catergory. I was very bummed out about it but both Dr's said If it is anything I can get rid of it with Gamma Knife. I know I will do a hell of a lot more research this time. Anyway Just after I had thrown myself 1 ok 10 " pity parties " My daughter and Husband flew in from Atlanta to tell me that I am going to be a Grandma. I am ecstatic and trying to figure out how I can spend a lot more time in Atlanta. Anyway I will deal with the " spot " and hopefully it turns out to be nothing.
I hope you all have a wonderful Holiday season, Peace, Good Health, and lots of laughs for 09.
Lainie

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: A very eventful week
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 01:27:35 pm »
Ugh!  I'm sorry to hear about the possible regrowth.  I surely hope it's nothing.  Chances of a regrowth are VERY small, so I'm confident that it's nothing or just "crap left over from surgery".  Congratulations on being told you were going to be a grandma!  That's exciting news!

Here's to good news in 6 months!

Regards,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 02:35:21 pm »
Lainie-

I will keep fingers crossed that whatever showed up on the MRI turns out to be nothing.  In the meantime, though, congratulations on being a grandma!!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 07:06:31 pm »
Congratulations, granny Lainie.

As I understand it, the weather in Atlanta is particularly good for healing surgical leftovers. Something about the peach blossoms, I think. Plus the ANA headquarters is in Georgia. What more do you need?

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 07:22:02 pm »
Hi Lainie,

We'll just keep our fingers crossed that the MRI findings turn out to be nothing of concern. 

Sorry we weren't able to meet when I was out in LA.  But, now that you'll be coming to Atlanta to see that grandbaby before too long, perhaps we can meet here...I am right up the road from the ANA office!

Take care,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 06:34:38 am »
Lanie
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that whatever the docs saw on the MRI was just leftover crap from your surgery.  I'm sure the six month watch and wait will be a little nerve wracking but try to keep yourself otherwise occupied.  Contrats on becoming a grandma.  Focusing on that will make the time pass swiftly and in a mopre positive way! 

Wishing  you the very best -- Happy Holidays and a Hapoy and Healthy New Year!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Lainie181818

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 01:05:36 pm »
Thank you guys for your wonderful responses. The Baby is definitely going to take my mind off the crap in my head. I would love to get together with the Atlanta guys so that is something else to look forward too. Have a great Christmas / Festivus.
Lainie.

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 02:40:33 pm »
Congratulations on being a Granny. I love b eing one, for sure!!!!!!!

I wlll also add I hope that your next MRI gives you answers and that the answers are really good!

Mary 8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 05:04:01 pm »
'Grandma' Lainie:

Sorry to learn about your ambiguous MRI results.  I'll both hope and pray that this don't indicate anything serious.  I trust that the news that you'll soon be a grandparent will help take some of the stress out of the wait. 

Merry Christmas and a happy 2009 to you, too - and may we all have clear MRI scans next year.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LADavid

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 05:04:55 pm »
Wow, Lainie.  That is a week.  Congratulations on being a grandma.  That is very cool.  The other news...ugh.  I was going to say something about having to wait so long for the MRI -- but you know what I'm thinking.

And Steve.  Can't be the Peach trees.  There isn't one within a 100 miles of Atlanta (the word Peach is actually a dervative of "Pitch" for Pine Trees -- which there are a lot).  But there are some beautiful Dogwoods in the Spring.

David (former Atlanta resident)
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 06:35:15 pm »
Hey Lainie,
That's awesome, congrats on the soon-to-be grandchild.  Let that be the thing that keeps the 6 month MRI off your mind.  And I'll hope that it is NOTHING but scar tissue.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Lainie181818

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 01:43:44 pm »
Once again thank you so much for all of your positive words. Cheri I agree with you, I totally trust Dr Friedman and I have stopped thinking about it. Becoming a GLAM-MA [ my daughters name for me ] is a great distraction.
Lainie.

Lainie181818

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 02:45:44 pm »
Hi Donnalyn,
Thank you so much you have made me feel a lot better. Yes I did have MRI with contrast and I talked to both Dr's Friedman and Dr Brackman [ who phoned me also ] They both pretty much down played it and after going into a funk for a while I am starting to not think about it. I have chosen to only tell a couple of my close friends, because right now it is nothing. I also don't want to hear that certain phrase again, you know the one we all love.
" IT COULD BE WORSE "
Thanks again
Lainie.