Author Topic: Upcoming surgery at Skull Base Institute  (Read 4031 times)

rkks

Upcoming surgery at Skull Base Institute
« on: December 23, 2008, 11:04:10 am »
Our son's (Jared) surgery is scheduled for Dec. 29, 2008 at the Skull Base Institute in Los Angeles, CA.  We fly into L.A. on Sunday and the surgery will take place on Monday a.m.  For those of you who don't know about SBI and Dr. Shahinian, his surgical procedure is minimally invasive and performed with an endoscope. 

After lengthy discussions with many of Dr. Shahinian's patients (some from this website) we felt this surgical option to be the best for Jared.  We will post updates on this site when the surgery is over and we have returned home.

For now, please keep Jared in your thoughts and prayers as he continues through his AN journey.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Ron & Karen
Parents of Jared (age 19)
Right side AN (10x9x7 mm)
Diagnosed 9-17-08
Endoscopic surgery on 12-29-08
Skull Base Institute, Los Angeles
Dr. Hrayr Shahinian

jerseygirl

Re: Upcoming surgery at Skull Base Institute
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 07:24:15 pm »
Hi, Ron & Karen,

Best of luck with Jared's upcoming surgery! I also had my second AN surgery with Dr. Shahinian at SBI and found him to be very professional. The surgery was so much easier that the first one, there is just no comparison. Jared's tumor is small, so the surgery should be relatively easy. Does Dr. Sh. feel he can save Jared's hearing?

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 09:09:40 pm »
Hi Ron & Karen,
I will be praying for Jared.  I'm so sorry that he has to go thru this.
It sounds like you have really done your homework, and found the best place, and surgeon for him.
Please know we care.....and will be here for all of you.
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 04:31:50 pm »
Ron & Karen:

My thoughts and prayers will be with you all on December 29th (Monday).  I wish your son, Jared, not only a successful and trouble-free procedure but a rapid and complete recovery.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 08:30:36 am »
Karen and Ron,

My best wishes for Jared's upcoming surgery.  You will all be in my thoughts and prayers.  Please keep us posted on his progress.  Let's hope next year is a better year for all of us.

Wishing you all a Happy and Healthy New Year!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 09:52:36 am »
Ron & Karen -

I don't know a whole lot about endoscopic brain surgery - I had the conventional kind - but those who had it only have very positive things to say about it.

Good luck to Jared.  Please keep us posted on his recovery.

My prayers are with him and both of you.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

highlife

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 02:06:27 pm »
You and Jared are sure in my heart today, since the crack of dawn.  I imagine you sitting right now waiting to be told the outcome.  We're all pulling for you.  Please let us know right away.   
I have a telephone conference with SBI tomorrow. 
Steph
Rt ear AN - 10x6x4mm
dx 9/08
wait

rkks

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 04:55:34 pm »
Hey everyone,

Jared's surgery was a complete success and we arrived home on Saturday, Jan. 3rd, only five days after the surgery.  Amazing!!!  We intend to post a complete recap of the surgery in the next few days, but right now we are relaxing and getting ready for the upcoming work week.

Jared is doing remarkably well with only an occasional slight headache (relieved by Tylenol) and some minor balance issues.  We see progress in Jared by the hour and by next week at this time we are confident he will be close to his old self.

Steph, I sent you a personal message detailing the surgery.  Please let me know if you received it as I know you have been in contact with SBI.

Thanks to all for your prayers and support!!

Once again, please come back in the next few days to read in detail about Jared's surgery and the remarkable surgeon, Dr. Shahinian, who performed this endoscopic procedure.
Parents of Jared (age 19)
Right side AN (10x9x7 mm)
Diagnosed 9-17-08
Endoscopic surgery on 12-29-08
Skull Base Institute, Los Angeles
Dr. Hrayr Shahinian

jerseygirl

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 05:32:06 pm »
I read this post after I asked you about Jared's outcome! I am so glad everything went well! Question: was Dr. Sh. able to save Jared's hearing? Your son should recover relatively quickly - youth has its privileges!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

sgerrard

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 05:38:49 pm »
This is good news. I am pleased to hear that Jared is doing well, and that the endoscopic procedure was a success. It sounds like a promising development in surgical treatment of ANs.

Best wishes to Jared for a speedy recovery.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 06:21:29 pm »
Glad to hear Jared is doing well  ;D

Thanks for the update,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways