Author Topic: mask at ct  (Read 1928 times)

carter

mask at ct
« on: December 22, 2008, 03:07:10 am »
may i ask why the mask is used during the CT?

i know that it is a restraint during the CK .....  but for the CT?

it is not needed for the MRI
Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
Re: mask at ct
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 07:23:59 am »
I had the mask made for the CK, but they also used it pre CK during the CT. I think for accurate positioning during CK, if I remember correctly. I was on "happy pills" when I had it done.

Mary 8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

carter

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 04:15:18 pm »
i was wondering why the mask is needed for the CT, but not the MRI?  just wondering ....

also ---- i was told today that for the ck planning, the only part used from this test is after the contrast is inserted. 

i have been asking as during the CT of last week, the mask was put in place after the iv port was put in.   the mask did not feel right and i told them so.  no one paid any attention.  when they put in the contrast agent, i told the tech again and she got the radiation person to adjust the head rest to keep my head in the right place.  then they left room again and i moved around in the machine.

i too was on valium and did not think to ask then - if this matters.

i did ask as i was in neuro surgeon's office and he asked the CK dr ...i was told taht this was ok.   hey - it is my brain and i was told that there is no margin.

so this am, i called to ask when the ck treatments would start ... any ideas?  said that i am still in planning so just be patient.  planning normally is about a week.  with holidays????

as this was a techie that answered the phone, i asked about the CT scan ---  he said that only what is taken after the contrast is given is used for the planning so i am good to go.

i di dgo on line and looked at the bills to the insurance company to date ----- jeeeze.  it is amazing how much the concerns bill the insurance as compared to what they are paid.  i saw one bill for 8367.54 and they paid 1515.70.  that is one huge gap.  i wonder how much argueing that i will have with the drs and hospitals later???

carter
Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 04:44:16 pm »
The CT scan is used for locating the position of the tumor with respect to your skull bones. It is more precise for this, since it is a real x-ray image of your head, not reconstructed by a computer from magnetic resonance data. The MRI is used to obtain a better picture of the detailed shape of the tumor itself. The treatment planning software provides for merging the two, to give "the best of all possible images."

I would not trouble yourself over the arrangements made between the hospital and the insurance company regarding billing. If the insurance covers the service, it is no longer a concern for you. :)

I think the tech who answered the phone had it right - you are good to go. They will let you know when they have gotten the planning done and have an opening in the schedule, so just sit tight - it is almost over now.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.