Author Topic: Now I'm on my way "killing" my balance nerve by drugs  (Read 4508 times)

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
Now I'm on my way "killing" my balance nerve by drugs
« on: December 18, 2008, 04:47:35 pm »
Hi everyone,
I promised to tell you about how it's going with my balance nerve. Last Tuesday I went to see the doctor. At 12 am I got my the first injection in my ear and I had to lay still for an hour. It hurt a bit when the doctor went through the ear drum with the needle. After that I went for a coffee in the cafeteria and I was back again at 2.30 pm to get my second and last injection. At about 5 pm I went home by train. In the evening my ear started to hurt a lot because of the ear drum getting punctured I think. Yesterday, I was expecting some dizziness to appear, but fortunately it didn't and not today either. The doctor told me that the weekend will be the worse. I hope and pray it won't be that terrible. I'm also doing a lot of balance exercises. My doctor told me: The more I exercise the less dizziness I'll get, so I keep on doing my exercises over and over again. I'll let you know how I feel as days go by.

Hugs from Helene in Sweden  :)
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK

mimoore

• Believe!
Re: Now I'm on my way "killing" my balance nerve by drugs
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 04:51:50 pm »
Hugs for you Helen!  :-*
Believe and it will happen.
Looking forward to hearing good news...let us know how it goes...sending good vibes your way.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

lori67

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 05:20:13 pm »
Helene,

That sounds painful - a needle in the eardrum!  You're very brave!   :o

I hope this weekend goes well and without dizziness.

Lori
p.s.  I love the name Helene - it was my grandmother's middle name!   :)
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 09:37:49 pm »
I hope you do okay over the weekend, Helene. I have to say, despite the jab in the ear drum, I like the sound of this. If I was having a big balance issue, or needed to avoid having one, knocking out the balance nerve would make a lot of sense to me. Take it easy!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

empath

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 10:41:56 am »
Only my second visit here, still  finding my way around!

Killing balance  nerve sounds like a great idea!!!  Doubt it's availkable here in the UK. 

Hope all goes well for you, will pop back for updates!!   :)

Emp

aka  Carol

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 06:42:55 pm »
Hi, everyone!
I've now passed the weekend that was said to be "the worst days" after knocking out the balance nerve, but for me it has been nothing! I'm so grateful for that! I haven't even been dizzy! If this is how it's going to be to live with only one balance nerve active, it's quite okey with me! I have been able to drive the car to town and also take a trip with my bicycle. Last week I was convinced that I would be staggering around at home using walls and tables to be able to stand up at all. I have an appointment with the doctor in mid January to check if the right balance nerve is 100% knocked out. I really hope it is because I don't want to do the "needle in the ear drum" again. It wasn't very comfortable, I must say.

Have a nice Christmas all of you!  :)

Helene in Sweden
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK