Author Topic: Expectant Father, newly diagnosed  (Read 4757 times)

atobias

Expectant Father, newly diagnosed
« on: April 08, 2005, 10:24:55 am »
I'm so happy I found this forum. I hope you can help.

My husband and I are expecting our first child at the end of June. He was just diagnosed with having a large 2 x 2 cm Acoustic Neuroma in his brain. Surgery is on the horizon and we are both really scared. I would like for him to wait but he (and the doctor's) want to go ahead and have the surgery before the baby is born.

From this forum, we are hoping to learn how people cope with this diagnosis and what the outcome of surgery has been for many of you. All responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pembo

Re: Expectant Father, newly diagnosed
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 05:57:41 pm »
Hi atobias. I had surgery for a 4cm AN last June. I'm doing fine now just facial paralysis and of course single sided deafness.  Do your research before deciding on surgery. Please email me if you have more specific questions. I'm 36 and have 3 young children. I know how scary all this can be.

Where are you located?

Barb in Ohio

Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

cecile k

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 08:41:19 pm »
You could go for a second opinion. Did your neurosurgeon state why he wanted to get on with this surgery? Generally AN's are very slow growing. Mine was diagnosed at 1.7 cm and I waited nearly a year before deciding on surgery, simply because I wanted to be very sure that was the route I wanted to take.

It becomes all very overwhelming when first diagnosed. For those newly diagnosed, remember to ask your neurosurgeon how many AN surgeries he/she has done. This really is important! My husband and I finally decided to go ahead with a neurosurgeon who had done 500+ AN surgeries and we were happy that we waited the year because then we really were sure what route we wanted to take and were at peace with the decision. I personally think that it is important to seek out a radiosurgeon as well as a neurosurgeon and then make an informed decision which is right for your situation.

steph

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 01:01:16 pm »
Hi, in sept I had a 3cm an removed from my left side, I also  have the deafness in that ear and some facial weakness but overall am doing great. I am the mother of a 20month old, my daughter had just turned a year when I had the surgery, as difficult as it was I am glad it is done and we can move on with our lives. parenthood adds such a new dimension to something like this, there is much more to worry about but this is a pretty "common" procedure, the best advice I received was that success rates were connected with experience, that doctors improve with experience so look for someone who has done alot of these surgeries. I wish you the best of luck, please let me know if there is any more info I can provide you. enjoy your new little one.

Russ

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 08:48:07 pm »
Hi
  Seems if the AN is but 2 cm, and not up near the brainstem, future Dad has plenty of time to research and have baby born b-4 surgery.
  Many surgeons who are not well experienced almost push people into premature decisions. Where is husband being seen?
  Opinions x 3 and from large, treating facilities. House Ear Institute will receive the MRIs and give a free telephone consult if you send them the MRI from you hospital's Medical Records Dept. They will give probably the best surgical prospectus of any facility in the USA.
  Best wishes to you!!
  Russ

alisaandree

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 06:12:42 am »
Hi Atobias,
Don't let the doctors rush you into your decision. My doctor tried the same thing- do it now! I was beginning my student teaching and getting ready to graduate from college. I waited 10 months and the second MRI showed no growth in my tumor in that time.
But it might be easier for you to help him recover while you don't have a newborn to take care of also.
Everyone is scared but things will be fine. Take your time, think it through and do what is best for your family.