Author Topic: I'm Snarling...  (Read 15277 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
I'm Snarling...
« on: December 17, 2008, 04:01:03 pm »
Okay, for the last month or so, I've noticed that my lip on my AN side pulls up slightly. The good news is that when I smile, it looks really good - the bad news is that when my face is relaxed, my lip is pulled up and a liver of my teeth on that side shows.  It also shows up when I talk without smiling.  Does that make sense?  Here's a picture.  It doesn't look awful, but it is getting more pronounced.  Has anyone else experienced this? 

Also, when I am tired, I get a little dimple in my chin (and not the cute Kurt Douglas kind) - anyone else have that?

I am seeing Dr. Roland on Monday so will ask him as well, but sometimes you guys are really my best source.

Debbi, here's snarling at you, kid
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 04:45:33 pm by Debbi »
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

CROOKEDSMILE

Re: I'm Snarling...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 05:03:33 pm »
Debbi, Yes and Yes.
I had the dimple in my chin and that is synkinesis. They botoxed it once and it went away on me. Mine got pretty strong and hindered my ability to smile so the botox helped relax it. The upper lip thing. Mine still does that. Your therapist will give you exercises to relax that. The muscle is overactive. I know the look you are talking about. Looks like you are always giving a mean, dirty look. I still have it but it has lessened with the relaxation exercises.
Angie

lori67

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 06:07:51 pm »
Debbi

I had the dimple in my chin thing too - at least until I had the 7-12 - now I have nothing at all in my chin.  For now, anyway!   My doctor did mention before I had decided to go ahead with the nerve jump that they could botox the chin to make the dimple go away.  It's not a permanent fix and will probably need to be done again, but if you can do therapy to strengthen the correct muscles while the botox is making the incorrect muscles inactive, you can overcome the synkinesis.

But hey, look how far the snarling got Elvis!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

LADavid

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 12:09:20 am »
Hey Debbie

Check out Michelles thread two below (or at least it is now).  You may have Synkinesis.  But it is very treatable with success.  I had a pronounced snarl for about four months but with PT it's only a sneer now.  I'm shooting for a smirk soon.  Seriously, things are getting much better.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 10:57:31 am »
I've been smirking for many years - actually it's my preferred expression for most of what amuses me in life  ;)

Debbie -

I really like Kirk Douglas, but I'm hoping this too shall pass for you.  Let us know what Dr. Roland thinks.

David -

it's great to hear that things are getting better and that putting in time with the PT is paying off.  Keep up the good work.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 04:22:15 pm »
I guess that once again, I just don't get it.  What is the problem with a dimple in your chin?  If you were born with dimples, are you going to Botox them away?  I asked my friend & she said she hasn't even noticed that I have one - & she notices EVERYTHING (& would HONESTLY tell me)...Yes, I got one after the T3 but it is no big deal.  I wonder if this is something that WE notice more than others?? ???

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

jerseygirl

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 07:39:45 pm »
Debbi,

Snarling or not, your progress has been amazing so far and overall your face has improved since the summer I have seen you. Hopefully, the nerve heals in a few more months and does not bother you anymore. Meanwhile, your progress and attitude are something to celebrate!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 08:09:03 pm »
Hi Kay,
The answer to your question about the dimple in the chin is not a cosmetic issue it is a function issue. It is caused by synkinesis and it is tugging of the muscles in the chin causing the dimpling. Mine was such a deep dimple that the muscle was tugging inward so hard that it hinders your ability to move your mouth. It yanked my mouth downward. The botox relaxed those chin muscles (dimpling) and now I have easier movement and I must say it is much more comfortable. The sykinesis can be very uncomfortable with tightening of the neck and chin muscles and find myself some days lying down with a heating pad on my face and neck to stop the spasms. The facial therapist looks for this dimpling effect in the chin and wants to treat it right away so that it doesn't get stronger preventing the other muscles from functioning to the best of their ability. Some days.....especially when the chin dimple was at its worst I felt like I had a charlie horse in my chin. Yes.....I must say I've always loved dimples.......I've always loved dimples in the cheeks and chin but this dimple is one that you DON'T want! It's uncomfortable.
Angie
Happy Holidays.
Dimple-less after botox and feeling better.

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 08:57:07 pm »
Angie~
Thank you for explaining that!  I figured out why I didn't get it...I have NO feeling on that side...kind of makes sense, huh?

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 09:27:10 pm »
Hi,
Even with my facial weakness I have the dimple sometimes (though less often, yay) and pulling. (also less)  I've heard many talk about Botox so that sounds good to me.  If I ever get to that point I'm going to have them make a few other "adjustments" while they're there.
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 08:17:16 am »
The dimple comes and goes and doesn't worry me as much as the lip curl.  That is definitely getting worse and is fairly noticable when I talk now.  Whereas before that side of my mouth drooped down, it now pulls up higher than my "good" side.  The muscle in my cheek feels tight and I have been using warm compresses to try to relax it, but it doesn't seem to do a lot of good - it does feel good though!

I am very anxious to see Dr. Roland on Monday and see what he has to say.  I'm really not up for another adventure right now...

David, what kinds of exercises are you doing to banish the snarl? 
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 09:04:02 am »
Hi Debbi,
Sorry to hear you're facing yet another hurdle andhope Dr. Roland wll have some good news/advice for you.  It sounds like you've already gotten a lot here too.  Please let us know what Dr. Roland has to say.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

LADavid

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 11:30:35 am »
Hi Debbi
Some of the exercises are fairly easy to explain -- the others are a bit complicated since it had to be demonstrated by my PT to understand it.  First, don't do any exagerrated face movements.  Yawning of course can't be helped.  Over stimulation of the muscles only encourages the wrong nerve messages.

There are two face movement exercises.  The first is to say the word "when" and hold it on the "W".  You'll probably feel un-natural pulling in your cheek.  Hold that "W" for a minute and concentrate on relaxing those face muscles.  Do that several times.  Then form a small smile -- first by starting on the good side -- then match the smile on the AN side.  My eyes are affected when I smile.  So I hold the smile for a minute concentrating on relaxing the eye muscle.  And repeat that.  The Botox keeps the wrong movement from happening.

The next isn't as easy to explain.  It's massaging the muscles on the insdie of your mouth with your good side thumb.  This takes a PT to show you because they know what muscles need to relax.  The massage is actually sqeezing hard with your thumb on the inside and your forefinger on the outside of your cheek starting at the top of the muscle.  Then very slowly draw your thumb down over the muscle sqeezing all the way until you get to the corner of your mouth.  Like I said, that really needs to be demonstrated.  I do think though the face movement exercises are a good place to start.

Hope this helps.  It has very slowly been helping me.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 06:36:27 am »
Hi David thanks for passing on the information about the exercises, i remember todd on the bells palsy site taking about the exercise for the smile he said if you use your fingers to help raise the smile on the  AN site the eyelid  doesnt go up as much and hes right.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 01:56:49 pm »
Debbi, when did you start physical therapy? I'm curious because I am just a couple of months behind you, and my facial nerve doc has told me specifically not to do any exercises to avoid synkenesis, and I don't see him again until March.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13