Author Topic: Countdown to Thursday (12/18)  (Read 8299 times)

april428

• Facebook
Countdown to Thursday (12/18)
« on: December 15, 2008, 08:56:33 pm »
Here I am a few short days away and I am strangely, and happily, calm and relaxed. There is no apprehension in my thoughts, as I keep thinking positive things: "My tumor is small and squishy.... It will come out easily... I am an incredibly strong person with great support..." so on and so forth ;D I don't know if is just a really great protection mechanism I have built in or what, but I feel great! Honestly. I had one down and out day, two weeks ago today, but it was a day, and I was up the next day. It's not even that I'm fooling myself about the time it's going to take to recover, I just keep repeating this really positive mantra and I feel it :) Just food for thought (easier said than done, I know, in the rougher patches, but still.)

I had all my pre-op appts today up in Raleigh and I feel really good. When meeting my neurosurgeon for the first time, and discussing my case, reviewing my films, and going over my hearing report (80% + remaining in my AN ear) its been decided that I'm switching from a translab to a retrosigmoid... anyone else have this happen? I have the utmost confidence (and honestly I am grateful everyone is up for the challenge of trying to save my pretty good hearing) in Dr.'s Fukushima and Cunningham... but I just wanted to get everyone else's opinion in the switcher-oo. The order of importance still remains: 1.) no major complications (very rare), 2.) preservation of the facial nerve, 3.)preservation of the hearing. I like it :) Trifecta of success :) And honest with myself if all does not go as "planned". This is someone's plan :)

Just wanted to send a quick update. Thanks everyone for listening :)
36mm x 27mm x 28mm, right side
Minor hearing loss only symptom
Diagnosed July 30, 2008 (age 29)
Retrosigmoid (Suboccipital) Dec 18th 2008
SSD, no facial paralysis
The AN calendar http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

sgerrard

Re: Countdown to Thursday (12/18)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 11:29:59 pm »
Hi April,

I have certainly heard of people getting their procedure at the last minute/hour/day/week. Sometimes translab to retro, sometimes the other way around. If it is worth the chance of saving the hearing, then it makes sense to me.

I also hope your tumor turns out to be small and squishy and that it comes out easily. It could very well happen. Good attitude and confidence in the surgeons will help you through the process. Very best wishes to you.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

stevek

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 11:34:25 pm »
Awesome.  Your thinking positive will carry you through the difficult bumps in the road.  I wish you the best.
Diagnosed 5/14/08   4cmx2.8cmx3.1cm
16 hr. Translab 6/9/08
Spinal Fluid Leak 6/12, under control & released 6/16
Dr. Hillman, Dr.Chen, & Dr. Aziz @ Allegheny General in Pitt.
2cm regrowth treated with Stereotactic Radiosurgery & released 6/8/11
Dr. Fuhrer, Dr. Chen, & Dr. Hillman @ AGH

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 11:37:09 pm »
Hi April,
As I read your post, I immediately thought "why is she having a translab with her tumor that small".  They usually do translab when the tumor is larger.
So yes, I would go with that.  You always lose your hearing with a translab.  So a retrosigmoid is better.  Your hearing can be saved with that.
You are still having surgery......and I know it is scary.....but you will be fine.  You will be sleeping during the difficult time that the doctors are working.
You won't feel a thing....I promise.  When you wake up, they will put you on pain meds thru your IV....so it's not bad.  They will also help teach you to walk.  You might not need that if you aren't going translab.  With that, you lose your balance nerve.  Maybe you won't.
Someone will come on here who has had retrosigmoid.  
I will be praying for you during your surgery.  
Do you have someone who can post for you while you are in the hospital.  We like to know how you are doing.....and you won't feel like it.
Take care, and all of us will be here waiting for you after surgery.....when you are a postie!!!!
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 06:43:03 am »
April -

you certainly have a good attitude, which I feel will help you immensely both in the next few days and during your recovery.

I, too, had a great sense of calm going into surgery (as have others) - and IMO it was because I was comfortable with my treatment choice and confident in my doctors.  I was also more than ready to just have my AN removed and go on with my life.

Don't sweat the change from translab to retrosigmoid; your doctors know what they are doing.

Like Steve and Lacey said, if there's a chance your hearing might be saved, why not try.  That was my feeling when I chose retrosigmoid and I wouldn't change anything today.

Although all of us are different, I can tell you that post op I did have balance issues, but they solved themselves in the first few weeks post op.

You'll be fine; I'll be praying for you on Thursday - along with many others.

Good luck,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 07:59:31 am »
April~
You have an incredible attitude and aside from having a strong faith in God, I think that attitude is the MOST important thing - it will carry you thru the rough spots (that & humor).  I always go with the "fake it until you make it!' attitude - it really does work!!
Good luck on Thursday - you will be in my prayers!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 09:14:55 am »
April:

Thanks for your positive post.  It's obvious that you have the best possible attitude and that you're making thoughtful decisions.  With over 80% hearing in the AN-affected ear, going with a surgical procedure that has the possibility of saving your hearing seems perfectly logical.  I was one of the fortunate AN patients.  I had a very large tumor but came out of (retrosigmoid) surgery with no facial or other complications.  My follow-up radiation (FSR) was also uneventful.  Today, 30 months later, I'm fine and my AN is shrinking and dying, proving that good results do happen with AN surgery/radiation.  I believe that with your small AN, youth and calm attitude based on reality and understanding of the situation, along with a strong faith, you'll do just fine. 

Jim
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 01:37:08 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 03:44:19 pm »
Hi April-

Well, tomorrow is the big day - hopefully you are feeling calm and strong.  As everyone else here has said, it is not at all uncommon to have a somewhat last-minute surgical approach change.  Even though translab was always the recommendation for me, the surgeons did discuss the possiblity (and risks, in my case) of retro the day before surgery.  The great news is that your surgeons are totally comfortable with different approaches, meaning that you are going to get the best one for YOU!

Be calm tomorrow and good luck.

Debbi, sending you peaceful thoughts...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 04:56:29 pm »
April,

I, too, changed my mind about translab and opted for retrosig in the hopes of saving hearing. I don't regret having changed my mind 10 day before my surgery. The recovery process is a long one, but you will be fine. Keep that positive attitude. I helps a great deal in the healing process.

Good luck tomorrow.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

gordy

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 05:16:48 pm »
best wishes with your surgery. stay positive and strong. good luck.

jcc1138

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 11:57:14 pm »
April:
Good luck with everything. Don't worry, I may be coming to you next for help! I found out this Tuesday about the AN and will be going to doctors at the end of the month. Remember it's ok, not to be ok. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other with your head down and you will get to your destination (but peek up every so often so you don't run into a wall!) Best of luck, Jim

april428

• Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 04:04:28 pm »
Woohoo.!! Here I am starving, no blurry or double vision. No dizziness, just a loss of words for the thankfulness in both my doctors (Cunningham and Fukushima), family, old friends, and new!!!! I'll post more when I have my gift of gab back :) Thanks everyone!!!!
36mm x 27mm x 28mm, right side
Minor hearing loss only symptom
Diagnosed July 30, 2008 (age 29)
Retrosigmoid (Suboccipital) Dec 18th 2008
SSD, no facial paralysis
The AN calendar http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 07:09:42 pm »
April,

Welcome to posti-land. You have an appetite--that is a very good sign.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

sgerrard

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 10:21:00 pm »
Welcome back, April. Now sleep until next year, and update us then.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 04:46:24 pm »
April:

Welcome to 'Postie-land'!  :D  Rest and get back to us in due time, we'll be here. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.