Author Topic: Great Eye Care Technique!!!!!  (Read 8398 times)

Alacrity

Great Eye Care Technique!!!!!
« on: December 15, 2008, 02:01:22 pm »
On 12-1-04, I had a nasty 3.5cm AN removed.  As the AN was large and very adherent  (ten+ hour surgery to remove), my facial nerve was damaged such that I had complete paralysis on the affected side for about 6 months.  For me the worst issue was and still is caring for my eye.  Using Celluvisc at night was fine but daytime care using Refresh Tears frequently left my eye annoyingly uncomfortable. 

One night while having dinner w/ close friends, I was sharing a story about what a pain in the butt it is to have to frequently use eyedrops.  I also jokingly mentioned how dangerous it was to put in eye drops while driving and how it would probably be the death of me.  Maybe some of you know the experience of driving to/from work and steering w/ your knees while you tilt your head back and squirt a drop of tear into your eye : )  My friend then said to me... "As an engineer, you know I would have to find some kind of mechanical solution to that problem"  A few moments later, my friend suggested using a nasal mist sprayer which would allow me to keep my eyes on the road.  As soon as I heard this suggestion, I thought "WHAT A GREAT IDEA"

The next morning, I went to the drug store and purchased a bottle of Afrin w/ a mist pump sprayer.  After dumping out the nasal decongestant and carefully cleaning the inside of the plastic bottle, I replaced the contents w/ Refresh Tears.  Immediately, I recognized that the pump mist is a superior delivery method!!!  My eye felt more comfortable almost immediately and I would no longer need to take my eyes off the road to put drops in!!!

Quickly I also recognized another benefit that I did not expect.  When I used the regular bottle and tilted my head back and dropped a drop of Refresh Tears into my eye, most of the drop would fall out of my eye like a tear as through I were crying.  However, when I used the mist sprayer, the fluid would stay on my eye keeping it moist and comfy.  I 'think" this is a simple matter of a static friction (I say 'think' because I'm an accountant and never studied physics).  Because of the large size of the droplet using the original container that Refresh Tears comes in, friction is not sufficient to keep the liquid adhered to the eye.  Using the pump mist, the tiny droplets are small enough that friction holds the droplets to the eye.  The fluid stays on my eye instead of running down my cheek.

Whenever I see my friend, I always thank her for her great suggestion.  I always introduce her as my hero and I always tell how she probably saved my life by helping me keep my eyes on the road.

I hope this technique is helpful to others.

Best Regards,

Ala

mimoore

• Believe!
Re: Great Eye Care Technique!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 03:56:23 pm »
Hi Ala,
That is so great that you found something that works so well for you.
I am so going to try it.
I laughed reading your post. Do you know how many times I have prayed for a red light just so I can rehydrate. Or
"Honey take the wheel for one second". Yikes scary pants. Oh ain't life fun?
Welcome to our wonderful group!
Check out my thread 'Eye Wear'. I say keep trying until you find something that works.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

texsooner

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 04:58:18 pm »
Ala, I can totally relate on the eye drops. I started back to work about 6 weeks after surgery and up until the last few weeks, would have to put in eye drops about every 15 minutes. I wish I had heard of this technique back then. My commute is about 40 minutes each way, so yes, many times I too would hold the steering wheel with my knees and quickly lean my head back for the eye drop. I knew this was dangerous, but would have been worse with me driving with a very irritated eye. (In heavy traffic, I was smart enough to pull over safely somewhere to put in the drops). I find now that I only need eye drops about once every couple of hours, so I'm not as risky of a driver. Even so, I think I'll try out your technique.

Thanks for sharing this idea that should make things safer for others. I continue to learn a lot from this forum. Thanks.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Alacrity

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 08:04:16 pm »
By the way...  I never opted for the weight implant to my eye.  After I began using the mist sprayer, my eye has felt so much more comfortable.  After 4 years post op, I still have almost zero blink reflex (maybe five or ten %).  If I concentrate and focus, I can close my eye about 98%. 

Still... even w/ the lack of function, my eye is quite healthy.  My eye doc told me on my last check up - "whatever you are doing - Keep it up!"  Using the mist pump sprayer has really improved the health of my eye.

-Ala

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 02:26:16 pm »

I slam on the breaks and drive on the shoulder to a stop... get a few drops in ... and floor it again !!

I like the spay idea! ... my glasses might be a bug to work out...  ;)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

bltfollis

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 03:49:59 pm »
simplicity @ its best what a fabulous idea, thanks for the tip

yours in health bill

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 05:28:21 pm »
Ala ~

Although this eye-drop situation doesn't affect me, as a moderator I read almost every post and I want to thank you for sharing this great idea!  This is a perfect example of the value of this website and the forums - we can learn and share and help one another in a variety of ways.  Thanks, again!  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 01:25:47 am »
I think you should let the eye drop company know about this. Or maybe patent it first, then tell them. It strikes me as a brilliant idea!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jan D

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 06:27:38 pm »
Sounds like a great idea!  I don't bother tiliting my head back - after 40 years of practice, I have the steady hand of a surgeon when using the eye drops.  I have actually put drops in my eye while on a ride at Disneyland!  It doesn't matter to me at this point, if some drips down my face - that's the last of my worries.

I hope this new technique helps others though.

Thanks,
Jan D
AN removed July, 1966, size of golf ball, seventh nerve severed, shoulder nerve graft in 1967, corner of eyelid stiched twice, deafness in right ear, right eye does not close nor tear and right side of face has virtually no movement.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 10:37:25 am »
Great suggestion - I think you should patent the idea and make millions! 

Like Jan D, I've gotten surprisingly adept at getting drops in my eye while in motion - however, it is a bit of a panic when driving.  I may have to try the misting technigue.

Lori and Jan - is this an idea for the Garage Surgery business???

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

joebloggs

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 10:46:27 am »
Hi gang,

This sounded like a fab idea to me, just thinking be careful re transferring contents of anything you're going to put in your eye, major sterility/eye safety considerations to doing that.  Although it doesn't cover the issue of inserting eye drops while you're driving a moving vehicle, I found a way that works for me on the internet - a method used for inserting eyedrops into little kids' eyes - close the eye and drop into the corner... the eye drop will work it's way all over the surface without that horrible eye dropper coming towards my eye image which I can't stand!  Of course... this is a two person job - definitely not a moving car technique!

cheers

JB
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

Keri

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 09:34:40 am »
Hi Ala,
I think I will try this too. I use drops, but don't find them very effective. And sometimes I poke my eye with them when I put them in! So instead I use the eye ointment, which I love. But this makes vision blurry, which I've just learned to live with. I will try this because my 'good eye' seems to suffer and need drops as much as my 'bad eye.' I'm just afraid I may not wash the contents of the Afrin out good enough (but I'll give it a shot)! Did you boil it to sterilize or anything like that, or just wash it thoroughly?

Thanks!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 10:34:07 am »
I have not seen the mist pump sprayer that you describe here. I'm wondering if it would be possible to find a mist sprayer bottle that does not already have a medication in it. My biggest worry would be not getting all the Afrin out and spraying that into my eye. Did you just rinse it out, or wash it with dishwashing soap, or boil it?

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Alacrity

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 06:53:44 am »
Regarding comments about finding a mist sprayer not already filled w/ some other medication, I've not been able to.   I've been using the Afrin Mist Pump for about 3 years now.  I'm just so happy for the relief it provides that I've not tried to improve the delivery system.

Regarding questions about sterility...  Whem I first began using the Afrin Mist Pump, I did boil the dispenser.  However, over time I became lazy and just began rinsing the bottle w/ warm water.  I think as long as you are not recovering from Lasic surgery or do not have any lacerations to your eye, sterility concerns are minimal.

joebloggs

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 05:00:33 pm »
Thought you might be interested in this  - it's a new eye spray that's just hit the market here in the UK.  Not sure if it's available in the US, but maybe you could get some from Boots online?  Anyway, looks like it's a solution for those who don't like applying drops?

http://www.optrex.co.uk/optrex_range/optrex_actimist_eye_spray.php

Cheerio

JB
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!