Author Topic: What is SSD really like?  (Read 15439 times)

Melissa778

Re: What is SSD really like?
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2009, 01:35:52 pm »

I thought I'd chime in here quickly on the SSD issue.  I am almost 8 mo post op and had absolutely no hearing issues prior to my translab. I was a wreck with worry about it.  I went from hearing 100% in both ears to hearing 100% in one ear.  To be perfectly honest I have no idea what I was worried about.  I hear wonderfully with one ear.  So much so that I am hesitant to have the BAHA, however, I am going to get it as insurance is covering it and not sure what the coverage would be down the road should I decide to pursue it later in life.

I am a musical person and very much enjoy concerts, music, (learning) playing bass, movies, you name it.....and really overall the SSD hasn't posed an issue.  I still, even with SSD, think my husband watches the tv louder than I can handle. :)  I also waitress/bartend on weekends at a busy sports bar that is LOUD...and sometimes I have to ask customers to repeat or speak up....but overall not often.  Maybe I'm and exception to the difficulties SSD poses to some.

However, my children are learning to not whisper into my "broken" ear as they call it :)

And I have my own "wet" embarassing story for Lori......While sorting laundry last week, both washer and dryer running, my son came up behind me to give me a hug and wrapped his little arms around my waist.....I peed my pants, literally, he startled me so badly.....Took me a few to collect myself and get my hear rate down. Needless to say there was a few more items to add to the washer :)  It's when I least expect it that someone comes up beside me.

However, the upside is, I sleep on my "good" ear....so I sleep wonderfully :) :)

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2009, 05:25:24 pm »
Melissa,

You made me laugh and I really needed it today.  Had some bad news, one of my closest friends may have lung cancer.  CT scan tomorrow, instead of having her rotator cuff operate on.

I hate it when my sons sneak up on me.  I've jumped and screamed but never peed my pants, but with me anything could happen.

Thanks so much for the laugh,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Esperanza

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2009, 05:28:06 pm »
Hi,  
I'm coming at this from a pre-op SSD perspective.  
Like Melissa I cope well with mine but I can actually 'hear' whisperings in my AN ear in a relatively quiet room.  In fact until I had my recent audiogram (which 'spiked' a pain and caused my tinnitus to roar and provide a cacophony of sounds, the like of which I didn't even dream could exist within a head before!) I have managed very well generally in noisy environments - now the tinnitus soars and is quite distracting at the moment and is also bad when I speak (Oh dear!).  
So I would say SSD is probably better managed with a quiet brain than a noisy one!
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

Melissa778

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2009, 08:41:27 am »
Anne Marie,

So sorry to hear abotu your friend.  We had a close family friend that had the same situation a few months back.  Unfortunatley the outcome was not good.  You and your friend are in my prayers.

As far as tinnitus goes.....Mine acts up when I am in loud situations......mostly when my kids are running around the house at mach 10 and screeching :)  I try to avoid situations where there are loud noises....TV, movies, music is not so bad...but if my husband has things like the power tools, or lawn mower and such going....my tinnitus is much worse.

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2009, 10:19:35 am »
Melissa -

have you tried the BAHA demo yet? 

I, too, thought I was doing great being SSD - until I tried the demo and reminded myself of what I was missing.  The BAHA is definitely not for everyone, but IMO if you haven't tried the demo yet, you should do so before deciding on surgery or not.

Anne Marie -

sorry to hear about your friend.  I'll keep her in my prayers.  Kisses to her  :-*

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kabe

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2009, 09:06:04 pm »
Melissa,

Thanks for the funny story. We all need that and it sounds like you really need that.  You and your friend are in my prayers.  I hope it's not a positive diagnosis but if it is, his/her life is certainly not over.  We're winning the battle against all forms of cancer not more than ever. Keep the faith and know that all here in this forum are hoping for a good outcome.

Thanks.

Mike.

lori67

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2009, 09:35:36 pm »
Anne Marie,

I'm hoping for good news for your friend.

Melissa - it's a good thing you were doing laundry anyway!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2009, 08:12:24 am »
I'm praying for some good news on your friend also.

Sadly, I don't have any "wet" stories to share.  I guess I shoulld be thankful for small miracles.  :)

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager