Author Topic: What is SSD really like?  (Read 15490 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: What is SSD really like?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 09:42:04 pm »
Mike -

we're glad you found us, too  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sue Vogel

• https://get.google.com/albumarchive/11576991862935
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 08:17:21 pm »
Hi Mike,  I love music, too.  My good ear did not hear accurately for a few weeks after translab. surgery.  But then it seemed to settle down and sounds and tones I knew before surgery were pretty normal again.  This included my grand piano which at first seemed out of tune.  Normal tones resumed in about four weeks.  I don't even notice the difference now with SSD.  I can also sing along with the piano and don't think twice about it.  My husband ordered me a ''Listen Up"  to use for things like church, guest speakers, meetings at work (school)....I found a monostereo earphone on the web that fits perfectly in the Listen Up so everything routes to the good ear.  I've had really good luck with that.  TV is not a problem for me anymore though at first I needed it louder.  We installed an extender on our doorbell so that I can hear it in more locations in the house.  I had to turn up all the phones.  Personally, I don't find SSD to be that distracting though I am not returning to work until after the new year.  My classroom full of children will be the real test. 

Think positive and plan on the good things being a part of your experience.   You will surprise yourself.

Good luck and blessings to you.  SUE
3 cm left side
Translab. surgery 10/13/08
Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
SSD, adjusting to balance issues
BAHA surgery 1/29/10 Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson (dynamic duo)

Sue Vogel

• https://get.google.com/albumarchive/11576991862935
Re: What is SSD really like? 'Tis the season....
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 08:32:03 pm »
On a humorous note.....as I was writing to you, Mike, about SSD I began to hear the sleet on my roof from the beginning of the huge Midwestern storm.  Some sounds will never escape us!  Happy winter!

SUE
3 cm left side
Translab. surgery 10/13/08
Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
SSD, adjusting to balance issues
BAHA surgery 1/29/10 Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson (dynamic duo)

waypoint

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 11:56:20 pm »
Mike,

Its actually not that bad. There is life after SSD.  I was in the same situation as you last year. I'm a bigtime videophile. The week before my Retro, I went up to our theater room and sat down to watch a movie in full Dolby pro logic with all the sound affects. I resigned to the fact, I would never watch a movie the same again or listen to music in full stereo.  No, its been a year since my surgery and to be honest. Its no big deal.

You will find yourself strategically sitting at the ends of the table at get togethers. Loud public gatherings are definitely harder but not impossible.  If your cognisent of your environment, you can easily tell where the voice or person is. Is when you are aware and a sound comes at you, it just takes a second longer to scan for the sound.

Bottom, SSD wasn't life ending. And Damn the Elevator chime...it will be your nemesis. :D
2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 10:38:02 am »
And Damn the Elevator chime...it will be your nemesis. :D

I actually laughed out loud on this one..  It's SO true!  I can't tell you how many times I've tried to walk into a CLOSED elevator door because I thought for sure it was going to open (only to find out it was the other one).  This is a priceless comment..

Kudos,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Kabe

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2008, 11:51:28 am »
Thank you all for your insight.  I've already been doing many of things - strategic table sitting etc...  Since I apparently do not have an AN my SSD is coming much more slowly.  I'm sure many of you have thought about "which sense could you live most easily without".  For me SSD would fall into that category.  It's certainly not debilitating and really from what you all have described, amounts to more of an inconvenience (I don't mean to minimize it, however).  A sense of humor is very helpful I think.  I've laughing at myself for 43 years.  Don't think that will ever stop :).  The elevator comment had  me on the floor.  That's hilarious.

Thanks all.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2008, 05:44:04 pm »
Waypoint -

the elevator comment IS priceless  :D

Even with my BAHA I can still relate to that one  ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2008, 01:09:57 pm »
Ah, the dreaded elevator "ding!".   >:(

Mike, if you do wind up with SSD from your "ear that sucks" (that's a good medical diagnosis!) - I'll warn you about another potentially annoying situation:  buying produce in the grocery store.   I know, you're thinking "how can that be a problem?"  Well, I'll tell you what happened to me:  I'm not very tall, so to try to reach the stuff that's on the back upper shelf of the produce area requires me to really reach and practically climb into the produce bin.  Our supermarket has this lovely little feature to keep the food fresh - it begins to thunder to warn you that the water sprayers are going to come on to spray down the produce with COLD water.  I was leaning in with my deaf side and didn't hear the thunder.  Imagine the looks I got (and the laughter from my 5 year old) as I got drenched - my sleeve, my hair, my face - with ice cold water.   :o

I'm sure everyone in the area got a good laugh at my expense - and fortunately, I didn't have my BAHA at the time, so I didn't have to worry about that getting hosed down.  When I got to the checkout line, the cashier just looked at me funny - to which I asked if it would be too much to ask that they throw a little lightning in there along with the thunder!

Still no lightning, but I am much more careful when buying veggies now.  I look more like I'm diffusing a bomb than shopping for broccoli!

On a positive note, I am like Kay - I've been to concerts, movies, etc.  Although I might have to develop some seating strategies, it's not that difficult to adapt - especially if it's something you really enjoy doing.  I don't, however, sing at church and will only do so when the entire congregation is completely deaf so they won't be able to hear me!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kabe

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2008, 06:02:07 pm »
Lori thank you for that.  That is priceless.  All in the name of produce!! 

Mike.

wendysig

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2008, 12:40:10 pm »
Mike -

Just thought I'd put in my two cents even though it's pretty much all been said.  On Christmas day I will be exactly 5 months post-op -- where did the time go?  Although at the time of diagnosis my hearing was pretty good and I had 80% speech discrimination, I had two huge drops in hearing about a one and a half months prior to my surgery and went down to 24% speech discrimination.  Although it was initiall;y very upsetting (I was scheduled for middle fossa in an attempt to save my hearing)  I have gotten used to being SSD to a very large extent, although I do find it annoying at times.  My hearing in my left ear is excellent and unless someone is completely off to my  my right I can usually hear them.  I am scheduled for BAHA surgery January 5 and can hardly wait to get the processor (that will take another three months).  I'm really looking forward to hearing better again.

Wendy 
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kabe

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2008, 11:57:35 am »
Thanks Wendy.  I am going to schedule another appt  to review hearing aid options.  I suppose mine will be more trial and error. My speech discrimination is at 64% currently.  I have not notice any sudden drops - just been gradual.  Obviously BAHA is not for me. Although it certainly sounds like everyone who has had it done finds it immensely helpful.  Glad your getting yours soon!  Like I've always said this really is just an inconvenience for me. It could be so much worse.  I have so much I'm thankful for. 

Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

Mike.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2008, 12:19:47 pm »
I wanted to add something that I was not prepared for.
I have lost the ability to sense when someone is right beside me.  I go to turn not thinking anyone is there and wham right into them. I guess we hear people breathe or rustle around. Now I don't know if someone is standing on my deaf side. I am adjusting I turn and look first.
The new me...yipeee. Oh and I can't tell you how many dirty looks I have gotten in the grocery store when I just turn and walk like there is not another soul in the store and bang right into someone. Couple that with not great balance and yep they think I have been drinking.
Michelle  :o
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Roger64

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2008, 09:08:44 pm »
Howdy,

I have recently become SSD and I am still not use to it. However, I agree with everyone else but I must admit I am still getting use to it. Someday I feel that I will never get use to it but I come to this forum and it gives me hope.
Roger

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2008, 02:59:54 pm »
Roger -

I hope you do get used to being SSD; lots of people do.  Give it some more time, but if you find you just can't get used to it, there is no shame in admitting that.

I found that I never got used to being SSD - in fact it made me angry and very depressed - which led to my BAHA.  The BAHA isn't for everyone, but IMO it's a wonderful option.  People who have the TransEar also speak very highly of it.  So remember there are options - if you decide SSD isn't something you've gotten used to.

Best of luck,

Jan

Roger64

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2008, 04:32:25 pm »
Hi Jan,

Glad to hear from you. I know I need to give it more time my wife tells me that all the time but, I find myself with less patience. But, like I said you and this forum give me hope.

Roger