Author Topic: You can take the AN out of me, but you can't take me out of softball  (Read 2404 times)

waypoint

So, its been three weekends since my tragic post AN surgery softball debut. ::)  I wasn't going to let AN rob me of another activity I so enjoyed.  I decided to practice some at home with my hand/eye coordination just to help me feel better.

Well, this past Saturday started like any other pre Christmas Saturday. I got up early, made some coffee and was ready to start the huge task of hanging up Christmas lights, when I got "THE CALL" to come play softball again. Awfully nervous and excited, but trying to remain calm, I said "1pm? Sure - I'll try and make it".  I go into the bedroom and wake up the mrs to see if it was ok to ditch the lights and play softball. My lovely supporting wife reassures me with her nod of approval. As I walk away feeling even better, reality squashes me like a mallet on a thumb tack, " You want me to come, so the guys don't make fun of you?"  Needless to say, she stayed home.

This time around, I showed up 30mins early at the park and waited on the others in my vehicle in the parking lot. Actually, I was so early that the mothers of the kids in the park started to get suspicious. I'd have to admit. I'd be suspicious of the strange looking man in the truck with the engine running.  I was sure the police would show up any minute to haul me away. Well, the others showed up, and it was game time.

This time around, the shoes didn't fall apart. I played first base, which worked out well.  I figured last time, my problem was running and catching, oh yeah, and falling.  If I cut out one of those factors, I wouldn't have to be juggling several things at once. So first base it was, I didn't have to run to the ball and catch it. All I had to do was stand there and the ball came to me. It worked out well.  Until someone hit a short pop fly to first base.  I yelled, "I got it!!!" and right there and then, my mind was saying (what the hell did you just say??) Now I'm back to running and catching.  I watched that ball come down in what felt like an eternity. I had it in my sights up until that split second when the ball hits the glove.  Its like, I shut my eyes in that fraction of a second and turned my head away. I think it was instinctively to protect the AN side. Oh no, did I get it???? As soon as I recovered and opened my eyes, I turned the glove, opened her up, and there it was in all its glory. I actually caught the ball.  To everyone, that was just another out. To me, that was a major accomplishment...but nobody could tell.  Batting was actually even better. My timing was back and I adjusted my swing to compensate for the lag. No home runs to say, but I was very proud of my style of play.  In the end, the game was tied. Everyone had fun, but this time it wasn't at my expense.  I was actually proud of my style of play. Actually, hung around and chatted with the others.

On the drive home, I couldn't help but think. Today, you did good. You didn't let this AN beat you. So, I've decided to move softball back to the sports column I can still enjoy and play.

In all reality, those of you that know me know that I just had my 1yr MRI check up and they did find something however small and potentially something on the other side also. I didn't think I could be so unlucky to have another AN growing on the others side.  I have resolved myself to just wait and hear from the Dr. next week.  I am sure that another MRI will be in the works and possibly radiation of some sort. I try not to let it consume me, but I have to be honest. It does eat at you. My wife is worried and I am too. They did send home the MRI report, and I read it. But its just, alot of it might be this, it might be that.  I've decided to keep living my life and deal with it as it comes.

Again, thanks for listening...
2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

wendysig

Re: You can take the AN out of me, but you can't take me out of softball
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 04:59:44 pm »
Hi Waypoint!
Kudos to you for playing softball again!  I'm glad you decided not to let the booger rob you  of something you really enjoy.  It sounds like you had a great time and deserve to be proud of yourself.  A lot of people would not have been so brave.  As for your most recent MRI, I'm sorrier than I can say that you still have issues to deal with and hope you do not have another AN on the other side too.  Live you life, take one day at a time and deal with it as it comes, try not to let it consume you.  Please let us know what the doc says.

Best  wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 05:05:32 pm »
Nice work, Slugger!  We all knew you could do it!  You were just a little rusty that first time!  ;)  It was probably the shoes.

I hope your doctors appointment next week goes well and you aren't one of the "lucky" ones to have an AN on the other side too.  One is enough.

You're obviously very determined not to let this thing slow you down too much.  With your great attitude and sense of humor, I think you'll do just fine!  And it helps to be able to laugh at yourself sometimes too!   :D

You're a great storyteller, by the way!

Keep us posted on the MRI report.  Fingers crossed......

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 05:29:19 pm »
Way to go!!
I knew you could do it - it just takes a little more time and effort!
Are you in the Houston area?  I will be there for Christmas and we are trying to plan a little get together...interested?  Let me know!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

texsooner

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 08:31:39 am »
Waypoint, congrats on redeeming your softball prowess. That's a great example to a lot of us to not just give up when it would be easier to do so.

I know the potential of something else being in there from the MRI sounds a little scary, but it appears that you have a great attitude and you won't let this consume you. Good luck going forward.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Keri

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 09:44:29 am »
Hi Waypoint,

It was great reading your softball story.
I'm not too great at sports, but I'm a runnner (kind of a slow one but I can put down some distance). I've been doing a lot of half marathons. I just posted my best time last weekend - was really exciting to me, anyway, because I knew it would probably be my last half until after surgery. I've already signed up for a half about two months after surgery (translab). I had signed up way before I even knew what an AN was. I've been encouraged on this site, but also realistically told that running 13.1 may be rather difficult after surgery in January. So we'll see what happens... for now I'll keep it as a goal, even if I have to walk the race!

I'd also like to try to run one more marathon before surgery. Those are hard to find in January, unless you're willing / able to travel down south some where. For now I'll just try to stay in good running shape and see what happens after surgery.

I too am sorry about what's up on your other side. I hope nothing problematic. Keep us posted.

Hope your next softball game goes great!
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 02:02:28 pm »
Waypoint:

Thanks for the positive update on the progression of your amateur softball career.  :D

It's always encouraging to learn about another AN patient that has marshaled their mental and physical resources to successfully overcome an obstacle standing in the way of resuming their normal life.  After your last post that recounted your unhappy experience with attempting to play softball I suspected you might be done with the game, but you proved that to be a premature judgment, and I'm pleased to have been wrong on that one.  :)  I'm sure this was a major victory and a big boost to your self confidence, which the AN experience can certainly weaken.  Kudos to you!

I concur with your attitude regarding the 'whatever' on the MRI scan.  This is just too ambiguous a finding to justify putting your life on hold and succumbing to a lot of possibly unnecessary angst.  Of course you'll deal with whatever comes but while the potential for a problem cannot be ignored, there is no need to allow the unknown to control your life.   Play ball!  :)

Jim    
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 02:16:49 pm »
Waypoint,

Thanks for the engaging story and I am glad you will not worry until someone tells you to (that's my motto and easy to live by).   May you have a very long time before you must deal with issues that might be, until then I see you will be busy with the fun stuff!  Besides, better to tell sports stories to your grandchildren and wife when you're older rather than telling stories about your vestibular schwannoma!  Save those stories for us! 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

waypoint

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 09:45:20 am »
Kaybo,
Yes, I'm am in Houston and would look forward to getting together with yall if there's a get together.

Thanks, for all the kind words from everyone. I sense everyone here, is like me. We just want to get back to as much a normal lifestyle as possible post AN.  Actually, I went to Academy yesterday and purschased me a new pair of baseball cleats. Now, I'm financially committed and back in the game. Thanks, again.

2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 02:31:15 pm »
Waypoint - 
First of all, may I just say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading your account of the Great Softball Caper!  You have a great writing style and a wonderful sense of humor.  And, you inspire me!

I was less amused to hear about the MRI and am keeping fingers crossed that it is something far more benign than another AN.  Pointless to tell you not to worry, so I'll just say that I am sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com