Author Topic: Can acupuncture helping with blinking?  (Read 2950 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

Can acupuncture helping with blinking?
« on: December 08, 2008, 03:11:55 pm »
I'm just on the verge of being able to blink without having to try so hard to do it. My therapist is hoping within the next 3months. Has anyone had any luck with acupuncture helping speed up this process?
Angie

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Can acupuncture helping with blinking?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 05:08:56 pm »
Don't know about the acupuncture (though I tend to think not).

But way to go, Angie! I can't wait to read that you are blinking. May the next few months fly by.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

mar50

Re: Can acupuncture helping with blinking?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 04:05:33 am »
Hi Angie!  I am 2+ years post op and GK, but still browse the forum once in a while, and your post caught my eye.  I just wanted to give you my experience with acupuncture, for what it's worth: I had surgery 8/06, GK 10/06, and some post GK facial paralysis that set in late January 07.  I had a very long course of steroids and although I finished them in April, I felt like I was still having side effects in June, so I went to an acupuncturist recommended by a co-worker.  I saw him a couple of times in the first few weeks.  At the time, I couldn't independently close my left eye.  After the first one or two treatments, I had a dream one night that I could wink, and the next morning I woke up and I could!  It may have just been timing (my dr had told me that I would see slow improvement over time), there's no way to tell.  Long story short, almost two years later I still see the acupuncturist once a month, even thought it can be a strain financially, I believe it's worth it.  I have some tinnitus, and I think it may help with that as well, although again, there's no way to tell.  At the very least, it's relaxing to lie still in a dark room for an hour once a month!  I would never have thought myself as the type of person to undergo acupuncture, but I guess I should never say "Never".  Good luck to you!!