Author Topic: I just found out too. :-(  (Read 8059 times)

jenna1

I just found out too. :-(
« on: November 27, 2008, 09:01:50 am »
wayne,
i was also recently told i hane an AN it is 2.8 cm and went to dr.post on 11/25.
are you going for any other opinions, dr port told me the same as he told you but stated i should have a97% chance of no face sagging. on the other hand he said there is only a 30% chance of hesring retention in that ear

Dawn

I just found out too. :-(
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 08:26:29 pm »
Hi,

I was just diagnosed a few days ago and I like everyone else is overwhelmed and don't know what do to.  My tumor is small right now and I have no hearing loss but I have balance problems and occasional ringing in my ears.

I live in the NYC area and went to NY Presbyterian Hospital.  I had consulation with Dr. Selesnick and Dr. Steig.  If you look up Dr. Selesnick he has amazing credentials.  But I'm not sure what to do....surgery now and risk hearing loss or wait till it grows.  I will be going for ENG and have started doing some vestibular therapy. 

If surgery is inevetible is it better to wait or remove it while its small, Any help or suggestions anyone has please feel free to help.
Diagnosed 12/08...4mm Left AN in IAC...Wait and Watch for now...Next MRI scheduled for 8/09 Doctors not sure if its AN, Lipoma or Hemangioma????

Also diagnosed with Chiari I Malformation - looking into options for that

sgerrard

Re: I just found out too. :-(
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 09:40:12 pm »
Jenna1 and Dawn,

Hi and welcome to the forum. I split your two posts off into a new topic, so maybe more people will notice them. I think Jenna's got lost in the Thanksgiving feeding frenzy. :)

I will let others chime in on some of your questions, but a few quick comments: I have heard of Dr. Selesnick; surgery is not inevitable, but treatment while the AN is small is usually easier; and most of us would recommend getting a second opinion if possible, so you have a good perspective on your options.

Best wishes to you both, and please feel free to ask anything, and make yourself at home.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

lifeisgood

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 09:18:24 pm »
I would also get a second opinion especially if you are being quoted a high percentage like 97% that you will not experience faciial sagging.
Until they get in there, they don't know the extent of damage.  I don't mean to scare you b/c there is a really good chance that you will
recover like many others and not have facial issues but I would question someone who makes that claim.

Good luck.
Mary
3.4cm AN surgically removed 3/04
by Dr. Wiet and Kazan at Hinsdale Hospital in Illinois.
Translab approach

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 10:38:30 am »
Until they get in there, they don't know the extent of damage. 

I'm with Mary.

Doctors can certainly quote the statistics, but they can't predict which patients will encounter which side-effects.  In addition, no doctor can guarantee you anything.  Docs are only human and, while they do their best, they only have so much control over patients' outcomes.

A second opinion can't hurt, and it might help you.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Dawn

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 01:20:40 pm »
Hi,  Dr. Selesnick was my 3rd opinion and all are saying that the tumor will grow...unsure of how quickly it will grow, but as I'm only 40 it will have to come out at some time.  I have no hearing loss but some balance issues.  Just wondering if anyone has ever had a small tumor removed and what procedure was used and how they feel after surgery/problems afterwards.  thanks
Diagnosed 12/08...4mm Left AN in IAC...Wait and Watch for now...Next MRI scheduled for 8/09 Doctors not sure if its AN, Lipoma or Hemangioma????

Also diagnosed with Chiari I Malformation - looking into options for that

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 02:33:29 pm »
Jenna and Dawn!!

I am so sorry to hear you were just diagnosed!! i know how overwhelmingly this is  :o  but you found a very rich place - people and information here are priceless, really!!

What is important is to have more than one opinion and then compare them!!

Dawn

I did NOT have a small but instead very large tumour and surgery was the only option I have! You are right, in  most of the cases tumour grows and as in my case it grows very fast (it just swelled!! but this does not happen in most of the cases - so it grows around 3 mm every year which is a good time for you to research.) There are people who do radiation or surgery on small tumours!! so it depends on hat you really prefer - to know that it is in or to have it removed, in 95% for ever!

I just wanted to drop a line and say you can PM me if I could be of any help!!

Best with your decisions!!
Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 04:44:40 pm »
I shall also extend a welcome to Jenna and Dawn to our Forum.  We all sympathize with what you are going through right now and totally, believe me, totally understand your fears, frustrations, and anxiety over this unexpected development in your lives. It's not easy and it would be easier if there were only one method of treatment for everyone. But there isn't.  There are several options to choose from.  Microsurgery is one option and with that comes several options for the type of surgery that best affords the physician the most workable way to get into and take care of business.  Radiosurgery is another option and with that comes the options of Cyberknife or Gamma Knife or some other radiation delivery system.  And with that (whew!) comes the decision of a one-shot, knock 'em dead today like GK, or a knock 'em dead over several treatments that is usually with CK.  Or you can do the watch and wait thing and just keep an eye on it with regular MRI's for awhile and see what happens.  You may be one of the ones where the AN is very slow to grow or shows no growth at all.  Sometimes this happens.  You do have choices and it's always nice to do your homework and ask the right questions of your doctors.  You can get second opinions from House in Los Angeles for free and often they will do a telephone consultation with you.  They are a top notch facility, and specialize in AN treatment.  Their full name is House Ear Institute.   

My only advice is to find the doctor you are most comfortable with, make sure they answer all your questions, make sure that they have a balanced view of the different treatment options and make sure that they are up to date on the latest information and techniques. My pet peeve is the surgeon who will tell you that you might get cancer from CK or GK.  Yes, you could.  But you could also have a terrible reaction to anesthesia if they do surgery.  So, there are minor risks in both camps.  The point being that many surgeons aren't that interested in CK and GK because that isn't their training.  And a radio-surgeon might not be interested in surgery for you.  But there are many doctors who are well versed in both options and will look at you and help you decide the best course of action for your own particular needs.  I hope you are lucky enough to get one of those. 

Hang in there.  Also, I wish I had read this article when I was first diagnosed.  Please read this as you will understand your balance system and how it works and how it can affect you, even in the smallest way.  I had some of these symptoms long before I knew I had an AN.

http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/articles/balancesystem.htm

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 06:47:33 pm »
Another good reason to have treatment while your tumor is small/med and no bigger than 2cm is there is a greater risk to damage to the facial nerve.  Now having said this, there are people with large tumors, who have had surgical treatment with no facial nerve trauma.  The doctors at the last symposium (you can order the cd's of the informative sessions from ANA website) feel there's increased risk with damage to the facial nerve when tumors are greater than 2cm. 

If you are not having facial nerve issues now, and feel wait and watch is the way to go for a while, certainly do this as maybe your tumor will stop growing.  I for one, would do all my research on treatments and talk to multiple doctors before hand, do the wait and watch for as long as you can and then when the facial nerve is involved, choose your treatment. 

My doctor suspected I had a brain tumor in 1991, but ordered the wrong MRI (no contrast) and for 12 years life went on with all sorts of weird issues popping up and increasing.  It was in 2004 I was finally diagnosed due to hearing loss and in 2005 I had surgery.  My tumor was medium, did alot of bone damage as it grew, but my facial nerve was spared.  My second surgery in 2008 my facial nerve was spared (once again) but this time with a dehischence.  I do have mild palsy, but not seen by lay people only me and my doctors.  I still have numbness to the tip of my tongue, some days I can taste well, some days I can't--no biggy. 

I really believe this tumor was there from the very start of my life, but did not notice this until 1991.  Doctors cannot prove this, this is just what I believe as I know myself and body intimately.  I have always been able to detect idiosyncracies long before doctors. 

Like you my symptoms started with balance, facial issues, and finally hearing loss.  Most people start with hearing loss, then balance, then facial issues.  Hope this helps you in making your decisions, I know this is overwhelming, but you do have much time to consider all and that's the "blessing" of this type of tumor--time and choices. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

fbarbera

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 09:37:34 am »
I was diagnosed with a 2.6 cm AN which I treated with Cyberknife in August 2007.  I had multiple consultations with surgeons and radiation doctors and I describe my experience, in particular, how I went about evaluating my treatment options, in detail in my website below (in my signature line).  There's a "resources and tips" link on the site to some additional resources for newly-diagnosed patients, and I also describe in the "post-treatment" section how I've been feeling since my treatment.   I hope it is helpful to you. 

Francesco

Kabe

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 03:59:29 pm »
Hello.  Brand new member as of this afternoon.  I already feel better after visiting this forum.  I have not been dxd yet but I just had an MRI this morning and I am thinking that a dx is likely.  Just want to say thanks to all of you in advance.  The science says this is very likely not fatal.  I hope not as I'm only 43 (on Sunday) need to stick around for my 3 year old son!  I, like many here, tend to research things to exhaustion.  I've had about 7 or 8 years of gradual hearing loss. No balance issues yet. Minor facial tic every now and again (not sure it's even related).  I think it's very cathartic to tell one's story and to hear others. I appreciate the openness and genuine concern here.  I sincerely hope all you who are coming up on surgery or other treatment decisions the best.

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 05:56:23 pm »
Jenna and Kabe

Welcome Newbies. I am so sorry you are dealing with this. Once I heard these ANs are so rarely malignant I knew I would make it through okay. This site has really been a true blessing for me. I am sure you will find it that way, too. It is shocking news but just reading the resilience and the tenacity of people here helped me. I even get quite a few chuckles here which I swear is a great medicine for all that ails you.

Take care and stay in touch. We want to know how you are.

Mary  8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 08:11:16 pm »
Kabe -

hi and welcome to the forum; I'm glad you found us.

ANs are generally not fatal, unless they go untreated for a long period of time and/or get so huge that they cause major problems.  I was diagnosed at the age of 45 1/2, had surgery, and lived to tell the tale  :D  I also survived BAHA surgery about 9 months after my AN surgery.

When do you expect the results of your MRI?  and what part of the country are you from?

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kabe

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 11:22:36 am »
Appreciate the thoughts and perspective.  I live in Cincinnati.  We have very good medical options here for a mid sized city but I'm open to traveling anywhere.  The Cleveland Clinic is only a 4-5 hour drive. And of course Mayo is farther but they are the best of the best I think.

I tried to read the MRI myself (they gave me the CD) and it just confused me more.  I noticed something "in there" but it was on the left side (my right is the problem).  I think I should just not look at it and wait for the doc to call me (I would hope Mon.).  He already explained what it could be - said there was @ 1/3 chance it could be AN or I could just have "an ear that sucks".  I love when docs bring it down to our level.  I wish I would have done something about this sooner. I'm kickin myself. I had this for 7 years or so.  Now I've got thoughts racing through my head (including perhaps it's not NA and something worse).  But I suppose if it were something worse I'd have seen other symptoms by now.  If it is AN, I know the prognosis is excellent (as far as not dying) but I'm thinking more about the long term side affects and the recovery time.

BTW - I must say everyone is very helpful here but you seem to be always "on the job".  I'm sure you have helped countless others. You've already helped me.  Thank you.

sgerrard

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 01:09:25 pm »
Hi Kabe,

Welcome to the forum. You are right, someone is always on the job; often it is Jan.  :)

Don't hesitate to ask questions if and when you have more, even if it isn't an AN. "Ears that suck" are a specialty around here.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.