Author Topic: What can loved ones do to assist through recovery and beyond  (Read 4973 times)

lori67

Re: What can loved ones do to assist through recovery and beyond
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 05:49:36 pm »
Yep, they all sound like great ideas to me! 

The only thing I'd add - if your dear hubby says things that are not always as kind as you'd like - don't take it personally!  I know I snapped at my husband a few times over nothing (it seemed like something at the time!).  The whole recovery process can be frustrating and well, we always hurt the ones we love, right?

So, practice the phrase "yes, dear".  My husband practiced it so much, that's he's still saying it.   :P

I'll also echo the comment to take care of yourself.  Ask for help when you need it and take it when it's offered.

I'll be thinking of you both on Monday - bright and early.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

suboo73

Re: What can loved ones do to assist through recovery and beyond
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2008, 06:24:06 am »
Michelle, 

Just wanted to stop by and say hello.  You are so wonderful to post on this site and ask questions about caregiving!
I have no experience in caring for a AN patient -- but, helping my sister thru 3 (repeat) hip replacement surgeries, and my daughter thru a car accident (where she broke both her legs) has given me some general insight.

Being there, love, and patience - i will repeat what others have already said - these things are the best!

And taking care of yourself, this is so, so important. 
One time, i had to leave my sister's house to come home and take care of my children - she cried as i was leaving... 
But i promised i would return - and i did.
------------------
I will say a prayer for you and your husband - strength, courage and speedy healing in the days ahead.
Take care and keep us updated.

Sincerely,
Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W