Author Topic: OH MY, now I'm somewhat scared  (Read 2782 times)

tenai98

OH MY, now I'm somewhat scared
« on: November 29, 2008, 07:07:07 am »
Hubby threw in some carboard into wood stove and it smoked enough to set off smoke alarms..both of them...and I  DIDNT HEAR THE ALARM!!!!!!!!! I sleep on my good ear. This is freaking me out.  Bad enough not hearing my alarm clock go off, but the smoke detector????  How does one cope with that???  A hearing dog???  I havent even had my surgery yet  where I will be SSD....Guess I beter get use to it and find alternative measures...YIKES!!!!
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Jeanlea

Re: OH MY, now I'm somewhat scared
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 09:22:25 am »
Jo,

Google "smoke detectors for the hearing impaired" and you will find some options with strobe lights. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

mrgarlic

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 12:03:20 pm »
Greetings tenai, I have had single side deafness for many years. If it Had it come on sudden, I would have  felt like you. There are many many aids for you. Plus ! ! Noice at night is no longer a problem. Just roll over and ignore. We can't make this problem go away but we do understand,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks for sharing, we tend to forget our beginnings,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Larry
I am not the person I used to be,
 I am becoming the pereson I am.

AN surgery 2004- Trigeminal Neuroma  surgery scheduled    Nov 2oth 2008

auntsherry

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 04:03:40 pm »
 :D   My first trip back  to FL. after surgery, my family stopped overnight in a hotel and I also slept through a fire alarm;; however, this can be remedied as others told you.  If I want a good night's sleep, I lay on my right side!
We must keep our sense of humor, but remember, there are a lot of us out here and you are invited to ask for help, etc. anytime.  08/07 I had a 4.5cm AN removed at University Hospital in Cleveland, Ohio.
Stilll have many issues I am and will continue to deal with, but I am getting used to the "new normal" me!
Best wishes and keep in touch!
auntsherry         
aunt sherry

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 07:15:38 pm »
It is a bit scary isn't it? 

Shortly after my surgery, DH installed another smoke detector in our bedroom, pretty much over our bed.  It's insanely loud - not even I can sleep through that one!  I also have an alarm clock that actually shakes the bed.  It has a small paddle that goes under my pillow and vibrates rather violently.  Works well, but somehow doesn't wake up DH on the other side of the bed.  The brand is Sonic Boom and can be found on all the Hearing impaired devices websites.

Now, I just need to find a smoke detector that will actually wake my *children* (who sleep through the current ones despite having two good ears!!!).

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 10:24:05 am »
Jo -

the best advice I can offer is sleep on your bad ear, which is my solution.

It's taken a little getting used to, but in the end I don't miss anything and I find my children can no longer turn off their alarm clocks in the morning hoping I'll oversleep.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

oHIo

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 09:27:18 pm »
I've had the same issue at work while I was on the phone.  Not the sleeping part, but the not hearing the fire alarm.  No one thought to come and get me and let me know the alarm was going off.   It is right behind my desk.  They still can't figure out that deaf means I can't hear out of that ear at all.  Surprise!

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 06:24:00 am »
For what it's worth those traveling and staying hotels, you can let them know you are hearing impaired as they have ways to accomodate us.  Makes for a more restful experience knowing you will be safe in case of emergency at that hotel. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear