Author Topic: University of Pittsburgh Medical Center - Expanded Endonasal Approach  (Read 2539 times)

NE Farmwife

Has anyone heard of having brain tumors removed using endoneurosurgery at UPMC?  They use endoscopic instruments to remove it through your nose.  I hadn't seen anything on here about it before and wondered if it was just too new.  I just found out about it on the internet.  They have some videos on their website about the procedure.  Has anyone else heard about it or know of someone who had it done?  Acoustic neuromas are included in the list of conditions treated.  I was diagnosed three weeks ago with a 2.2 AN and am waiting to see the doctor about my options.

www.upmc.com/Services/minc/servicesspecialties/eea/Pages/default.aspx

Diagnosed 11/11/2008   2.2 cm
CK at Stanford 01/12/2008
Facial numbness, hearing loss, lack of taste and tinnitis

Palace

• Palace
Re: University of Pittsburgh Medical Center - Expanded Endonasal Approach
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 09:34:31 pm »
Welcome,

I'm not educated on this endoneurosurgery.  I too, would be interested to hear what others on this forum have to say, about this approach.  My AN was the same size as yours upon diagnosis!

I recently had my 6th brain MRI.  I'm awaiting to hear from Stanford, once again.........

As you see, I had FSRS.

Thank-you for your interesting post,

Palace
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 09:44:03 pm by Palace »
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 10:11:25 pm »
I have heard of endoscopic surgery at UPMC; in fact I think there are a few forum members who have had that. But I have not heard of using the Expanded Endonasal Approach for an acoustic neuroma. From a brief look at the web site, applying EEA to an AN seems like a new development. Maybe you would be the first?

It does give new meaning to the nickname "brain booger" that some use for their AN. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 07:18:12 am »
I actually know of someone who had a biopsy done this way for a brain tumor that was eventually treated by cyberknife.  The tumor was in such bad spot taht standard surgery  would have left the person in question severly handicapped.  The doctors wanted to make sure it was benign before they made any other decisions and this was the way they decided to go.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

NE Farmwife

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 02:02:33 pm »
Do you know where they had it done at and why they didn't have the tumor taken out completely that way?  Was it done recently?

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 02:50:16 pm »
One of my friend's mom had a benign brain tumor removed through the nose about 2 or 3 years ago. Don't recall exactly what type of tumor it was. The surgery was a complete success.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 04:35:47 pm »
My friend didn't have her tumor completely removed because it is wrapped around one of her juglar veins and removal of the tumor would mean sacrificing that juglar vein which she was not willing to do and I don't think the doctor recommended it either..  That is why she opted for cyberknife instead.  I'm not sure where the surgery took place -- a hospital in Florida and I think about a little more than a year ago.  She has been pretty happy with both that surgery and her cyberknife treatment.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

NE Farmwife

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 11:30:25 am »
Drat!!  UPMC returned my call today and said that even though they include acousitc neuromas on their Endonasal Approach website, they do not remove acoustic neuromas thorugh the nose.  They are too far back in your head for the tools to reach.  Maybe if I wait ten years!

fbarbera

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 06:42:56 am »
The Skull Base Institute uses endoscopic techniques to remove ANs.  However, I would approach this technique with extra caution.  I've read on this forum that this approach is discouraged as too risky because if something goes wrong (e.g., an artery is nicked and begins bleeding), there is not enough time to open the skull to address the problem.  That being said, I've found that the medical establishment as a whole is extremely conservative and resistant to new approaches, so it might be worth examining some more.  But again, please approach with thoroughness and skepticism.  Don't take SBI's word for it.   

http://www.skullbaseinstitute.com/

Francesco

wendysig

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 07:44:55 am »
jerseygirl (Eve) had to have surgery for the second time just over a year ago, I think.  The second time around she had endosscopic surgery for a large AN and I think this is where she had her surgery and it was very successful.  If you are interested in finding out more you should PM her.  I'm sure she would be happy to relate her experience to you.

Best wishes,
Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!