Author Topic: How do you do in movie theatres  (Read 3335 times)

Tisha

How do you do in movie theatres
« on: November 29, 2008, 04:21:01 pm »
Like many of us, noisy environments pose a new problem.  Restaurants are SO loud.  A low roar.  I LOVE movies, and haven't tried it yet.  For those of you with this problem, do you see movies?  If you do, is it tolerable.  I'm wondering since there is no talking from everyone (like in a restaurant) if it works.  Or does it hurt because it's so loud?

Tisha .....who really wants to see Austrialia, Twilight, Duchess, and the other one with Anne Hathaway.

P.S.  I'm so GLAD my hearing wasn't distorted this summer when I got to see Mama Mia (twice!) with my girlfriends.
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys

Jeanlea

Re: How do you do in movie theatres
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 05:00:15 pm »
Tisha,

I've been to many movies since my surgery.  Even with SSD I have no problems hearing the movie.  It's definately loud enough.  And since everyone else is quiet it works nicely.  My husband makes sure he sits on my hearing side if he wants to whisper anything to me during the movie though.

Have fun at the movies.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

texsooner

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 05:27:56 pm »
I've been to 3 movies with my wife since my AN surgery in August with no problem.  Like Jean, I always have my wife sit on my hearing side. Enjoy

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

dasanti

• Dasanti's story - only in Romanian for the moment
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 05:47:38 pm »
Hi Tisha,

No problem with movies, but... if it gets to loud for your good ear, try to sit with your bad ear at the seats that start at the beginning of the row because usually the DOBLY system is located on the walls. By doing this you will have no problems with explosions in the movies or with loud special effects. You can try to put some cotton in the good ear to avoid problems. And yes... if you want to hear something from your partner position him next to your healthy ear.

I found that when he says something that you do not want to hear or that bothers you, like a fight or something, is very useful just to let him talk in your bad ear. You won’t get nervous and he will be happy to discharge all the information into nowhere :-)))

Take care and enjoy your movies!

Dan
AN 4.5cm @ diag time of MRI (6/Dec/07)
AN + 5cm @ time of surgery (26/Feb/08)
Retrosigmoid in Hanover = Germany, by Prof. Dr.h.c. mult. Madjid Samii/Prof. Dr. Rudolf Fahlbusch
SSD post op - right side.
temp. facial paresis post op - facial nerve & function preserved
7mth MRI Sep/08-no tumor :-

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 08:25:25 pm »
Tisha,
I am one who has tried very hard to sit through a movie.  I can't do it.  The sound drives me nuts and I end up with a migraine from the lights and noise.  I wait until they come out on DVD now.  Just another side of the coin.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 09:17:23 pm »
no problem with movies, if it gets too loud, i just plug my ear with one of those fashionable orange, yellow or purple ear plugs. I got 2 kinds of ear plugs - heavy duty and not-so heavy duty.  I use the not so heavy duty plugs for movies so i can still enjoy the sound system.  hope this helps!
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 09:59:19 pm »
Don't have now (& never had) any trouble with movies - the only thing is that we don't get to see "grown-up" ones enough, but ask me any question about a Disney flick and I bet I can answer it!!   ;)
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 07:42:08 am »
I've tried all kinds of ear plugs and they don't do the trick for me.  Actually my hearing on my good side is above the perfect hearing range and is very sensitive to sounds.  I have never been one for loud noise at any time in my life and I think ssd magnifies the problem.  The flashing lights are very bothersome now too, so it isn't just the sound.  Small screen (42 inches) is fine, but any bigger than that is a problem.  I also stay away from Best Buy, Circuit City and Fry's.  I have even tried a headset given to me by a very dear friend who is also ssd that works for her. Like headbands or anything else I try to put on the "dead" side, it is very bothersome.  I am just the odd ball out on this one!!  I'll take a walk on the beach over the movies.............we have some great shelling since Ike paid us a visit!

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 08:08:54 am »
No problem for me in the movie .. it was LEAVING was a bit tricky at first (it is better now, but not perfect)... walking in the dark and lots of people (ie:crowds!) so what little light there was, I could not see .. balance was put to the test!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 04:10:37 pm »
Tisha:

As the previous posts demonstrate, the majority of us have no trouble hearing in movie theaters. The sound is usually quite loud and, as you noted, there is no talking (well, usually).

I always sit in the middle of the theater and my wife always sits on my 'hearing side'.  We recently saw 'Quantum of Solace' and throughly enjoyed it.  Some sections of dialogue were even a bit too soft and I had to strain to hear (but I did).  I agree with Joef that the darkness can be a bit intimidating but I use the handrails when I need to and once your eyes adjust to the dark, it isn't too bad.  I suggest you try attending a movie and see how it goes.  I think you'll be fine.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 05:13:37 pm »
Hi Tisha,
I'm with the majority -- I've been to the movies several times since my surgery and have no problem.  As for leaving the theater, I just wait until after the credits are over and the lights come back on.  It's only a few minutes and worth the wait to me.  I like to watch the credits anyway.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Lainie181818

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 02:04:36 pm »
Hi Tisha,
I have a BAHA so going to the movies is not a problem. When I had dry eye, that was far worse. I saw " Australia " on Friday night. My husband and I went with 2 other couples. BE WARNED, it is a very noisy movie, almost 3 hours long and in our opinion AWFul. If you think of Gone with the wind, Pearl harbor, Wizard of oz all mixed up you will like it. Good luck. Maybe we should start an AN movie link?
Lainie.