Author Topic: Need one aid, may I ask?  (Read 2206 times)

mrgarlic

Need one aid, may I ask?
« on: November 28, 2008, 08:22:42 pm »
Greetings to all. In the nineties I was diagnosed with menieries disease in my left ear and gradual loss in my right. Since then I have had an Acoustic Neuroma and a Trigeminal surgically removed from my right ear, the Trigeminal Neuroma just last week. Over the years I have tried different hearing aids, mostly not very successfully. Last year I was fitted with the new “open ear� aid. This style worked very well but the price was too much for my Social Security check. This style no longer requires a custom mold.
   Here is my question and I am embarrassed to ask and don’t even know if it is proper to ask on this forum. There are people on this forum that can no longer use their aid. One fits all, and just need to be programmed. Is it proper to ask to buy one?     Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Larry
I am not the person I used to be,
 I am becoming the pereson I am.

AN surgery 2004- Trigeminal Neuroma  surgery scheduled    Nov 2oth 2008

auntsherry

Re: Need one aid, may I ask?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 03:52:05 pm »
Hi!  I can relate to hearing aids;  18 mos. post-op, still lots of issues, but I have accepted my "new normal" self ;) ;) ;)

My AN was 4.5 cm, left side;  totally dead that side;  had problems with rt. ear since I was very young& now have lost 45%hearing in that ear;  I am also on a fixed income now and although I only need one, can't afford at this time.
I have TWO friends who purchased aids for both ears & refuse to wear them (vanity, thy name is woman) ;) ;) ;)

Iam trying to get one from someone - if I get both, will let you know!
Best wishes to you & hope you keep in touch.
auntsherry 
aunt sherry

mrgarlic

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 10:47:28 pm »
Greetings aunt sherry, Very nice to hear from you. The aid companys lied for so many years blaming the high cost on "custom fit" They no longer are and the price keeps going higher. I will keep you in mind as well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Larry
I am not the person I used to be,
 I am becoming the pereson I am.

AN surgery 2004- Trigeminal Neuroma  surgery scheduled    Nov 2oth 2008

auntsherry

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 08:34:39 am »

Hi Larry & thank you!  You certainly are right about the issue of  $$$$! The audiologist tried to talk me into a new "crossover" device which goes aroud the back of your head with a second aid for the deaf ear which allows sounds from that side to be heard in your good ear, thus telling your brain where the sound is coming from - I guess it may help for some - I am NOT that one!
And talk about $$$$$, I can't afford one regular aid (not yet, but soon), much less this one! 

What I did do, for the sake of my family:  I bought one of those small sound amplifiers you probably have seen on TV for - you guessed it: $19.95  ::) Quality not real great - but better than expected for $19.95;  went to Radio Shack, where it is also sold & bought earphones designed for the "little critter"!!  Works well now - not REAL comfortable, but serves the purpose (and cost only $3.50) & no one complains about my loud TV, etc. :o  8)   8)    ;)

Take Care & THANKS again ;)   ;)
auntsherry
aunt sherry

LADavid

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 09:03:19 pm »
Hi Larry

When I was looking for hearing aids a year ago, I looked into a lot of organizations who supply them at lower costs.  From what I recall, the Lions Club has an organization called the Ear of the Lion that sells second hand hearing aids.  It didn't work for me since I was trying to get help with financing mine through an audiologist.  But you may want to look into it.  I seem to recall that the Lions Club was very active in the northwest.

Sorry I missed you while you were here in LA.  I am glad things went well.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments