Author Topic: AMD Surgery  (Read 5195 times)

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
AMD Surgery
« on: November 27, 2008, 08:30:12 pm »
Hello, My wife is AMD she had her surgery on Nov 17. They got all of the tumor out, but it was a very long day. Dr Miamoto had to work slowly to get it untangled from the nerves.

However, she did have some post surgery complications. She had some fluid back up and once they repositioned her it caused some major swelling issues. She ended up having to have a breathing tube put in and also a feeding tube.

Now 10 days later the swelling has gone down almost completely, but her dominate arm is still very weak, and she is in a rehab facility. She is doing better each day, and making tiny steps. It will take her sometime and a lot of work but she will get back into shape.
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: AMD Surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 02:55:00 pm »
Husband of AMD:

Thank you for the comprehensive update on your wife's surgery.  I'm pleased to learn she's doing well but sorry the surgery became so complicated.  Unfortunately, this is always a risk with acoustic neuroma removal.  I pray that she'll recuperate quickly in rehab and be back with you, soon.  Tell her we're all wishing her the best and hope to see her posting sometime in the near future.  For now, she just needs to rest, heal and recover.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 03:49:48 pm »
Hi AMD's husband!

thank you for the detailed report on her. I remember the time when I was in the hospital and was far from the computer!

Tell her i send her all the positive energy and speedy recovery! I am in the same boat - I have problems with my eye now, but I repeat to myself all the time that things are temporary! they will be like that to AMD too, all we need is time!!

All the best,
Hrissy

4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 10:07:58 pm »
Thank you for letting us know.  Although I was not in a rehab facility, I probably should have been as I had a lot of complications (not that exact one though).  PLEASE know that if AMD or you need someone to talk to that has "been there," my hubby or I either one would talk to either of you.  I have unlimited long distance (in the US) so I could call when she feels like talking.  I had a stroke on the operating table, so I know all about one side weakness - it doesn't seem like it, but it does get better.  I will be praying for you both - I know this is a hard time for you too!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

1cANAdian

• I'm just 1cANAdian
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 01:33:48 pm »
Hello Hubby of AMD,

Please pass my most positive best wishes on to your wife.  Any setback can be a challenge, so I hope she is able to get past all these AN post-surgical issues quickly, and be her normal self soon.

Cheers!
Right side trans lab surgery on Dec 8th, 2008
4+ cm AN removed
Post Op Symptoms: SSD, tinnitus, facial numbness, minor balance issues, weakened facial nerve
Attitude: POSITIVE

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 03:20:06 pm »
Thanks for the update on AMD - although I am so sorry to hear about the complications.  Tell her that many people are sending her prayers and good wishes! 

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Ronan

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 07:56:46 pm »
Please send your wife my warmest wishes. I know what it is like to be in your shoes. Do fight alongside with her through this period, fight very hard. It is a battle we can all win.

Ronan

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 08:12:32 pm »
AMD is off the feeding tube and getting her balance back. She is getting some strength back in her arm. I see improvements in her each day, and am trying to stay positive and encourage as much as I can. I am printing off the msgs thinking she will be happy to see how everyone cares.

Thanks
Chris
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

Keeping Up

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 09:03:56 pm »
I am just a visitor and am hoping I don't join you all. (hope you don't mind I am lurking about)

But, I couldn't not answer - your wife has the same initials as me and I have been thinking of her.  You obviously also have a little one - which has probably made it just that much harder on everyone.

I hope she is feeling better and you both are seeing improvements each day - and will be home again soon.

Another AMD (in Canada) is thinking of you all tonight.

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

Kaybo

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 09:44:45 am »
Chris~
Glad to hear of the progress - hope things just get better and better.  I know it is hard, but just take one day at a time!  Your in my prayers!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 01:26:01 pm »
Chris,

As hard as it is seeing your wife in pain and not at her best right now, trust me, it does get better. A positive attitude and lots and lots of patience are essential for recovery. Remember to take care of yourself, too.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 06:21:36 am »
My prayers go out to you and your wife after her post surgery complications.  I am very glad to hear she is showing positive progress towards healing now.  The road can be a long and bumpy one at times.  May your wife have a full recovery soon and may you find calm and understanding for the great support you are giving her. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

cindyj

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 07:16:43 am »
Hey Chris,

Thanks so much for the update.  Glad to hear that progress, even though it may be slow, is happening.  Please do give her our best and assure her (and yourself) that things should improve each day. 

Continuing to think of you guys,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

wendysig

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 07:55:17 am »
Chris,
Sorry I am a little late coming to this thread.  I'm so sorry your wife has had such major problems but I'm very glad to hear her recovery is coming along.  It sounds like she has her work cut out for her.  Please give her my best wishes and tell her not to get discouraged, things will get better and we are here to support both of you however we can.  You are both in my thoughts and prayers.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!