Author Topic: Coughing and Head Pain  (Read 3618 times)

staypoz

Coughing and Head Pain
« on: November 25, 2008, 03:11:58 pm »
Just had to vent with folks who would understand.  I have an upper respiratory tract infection and have been coughing like there is no tomorrow, despite being on two different prescription cough suppressants.   In my four years post-op, I've managed to avoid bad colds, the flu, etc. so have experienced the head pain that sneezing and coughing bring on only occasionally.  I have had three cough-induced brain wrecks in the past five days.  Yeesh!!!

Thanks for listening!  Happy Thanksgiving to all.

staypoz

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Coughing and Head Pain
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 03:31:45 pm »
Staypoz:

I'm sorry to learn of this coughing dilemma that causes you headaches.  I only hope (and will pray) that your cough - and the subsequent headaches - subside very soon.

Oh, and a happy Thanksgiving to you, too.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 10:42:59 pm »
Hey staypoz!

Yes, aren't they the pits!  I had pneumonia 2 years ago for 3 months (didn't know I had it the first 2 months) and I thought my head would pop off! After the high $$$cough syrup I found Robitussin CF and cheapo hydocodone and a humidifier helped a great deal.  Also sitting up instead of laying down.

Hope you had a decent Thanksgiving anyway and are feeling better soon!

Hugs,

Capt Deb

"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

marjoryb

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 11:01:37 am »
Hi,

I'm sorry you're having so many brainwrecks in short order.   

I have avoided colds since surgery in 2006, but there have been a couple times that I have swallowed something the wrong way and gone on a coughing jag - I thought my head would explode.   My daughter was home from college for Thanksgiving and she had a cold and coughing.   I became obsessed with washing my hands and so far have not come down with it.   Although, I have been having more headaches than "normal" (what's that) in the last couple weeks and contacted my doctor to see where I go from here.   I haven't heard back from them yet (primarily because they don't have an answer).

I hope to see you in January at the ANA meeting... we can catch up.

Marjoryb

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 03:32:49 pm »
I'm just getting over the flu. It's been awful. Not only coughing, but the sneezing. I've been taking tylenol for headaches since my surgery and don't want to mix any flu medicine. Every time I cough it's very painful for my head. One cough or sneeze I can recover from within a minute or two. If I cough more than that, a headache is sure to develope. So I plug in my heating pad and immediately take more tylenol. I find that bending forward minimizes the head pain with these coughing and sneezing episodes.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 01:05:44 am »
Thanks, Donnalynn

I'll have to give this a try.

Syl
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 01:09:23 am by Syl »
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.