Author Topic: ready to give up  (Read 10760 times)

klangel

Re: ready to give up
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 04:45:30 pm »
hey marci, thanks so much for the kind words of encouragement . i am as most times constantly seeking new info and alternative relief strategies but to hear encouraging words helps alot.
and jim, i hardly know what to say except your eloquent message of hope made me cry ...only this time they were happy tears instead of the sad desperate kind. thank you so much. its really good to know someone understands and cares!

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 06:20:39 pm »
Kerrie,

I went for a 5-mo follow up this past week. My problems are not as severe as yours or that of other AN patients. However, I do have some issues that I mentioned to my doc. She told me to keep doing what I've been doing because I'm one of the luckier ones. A bit disheartening, but no hard feelings because it's true. But I understand that even with medical help, I have to do my share to help resolve my issues. So that's what I'm doing.

Yesterday, under the topic of headaches, I came across a link that one of the forumites was kind enough to share with us. It links you to a manual for intractable pain. I found it interesting and found some info that could possibly help me. I hope you will find it helpful, too.

http://pain-topics.org/pdf/IntractablePainSurvival.pdf

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

wendysig

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 09:57:35 pm »
Hi Kerri,
Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but having a family, weekends can be busy and I also share the computer with my husband and kids.   I see many people have looked in on you and offered you ideas for dealing with your problems and moral support, which I think has been sorely lacking in your life.  I also spoke to Anita Prentiss from the ANA Support Group in Pittsburgh and she thought and the group in Reading is probably closer to you.  The leader is Nancy Graffius and her phone # is 610-939-9114.  I didn't have a chance to speak to her today, but perhaps if you call her and if the group is close enough, you can attend one of their meetings.

I only  a short time to research things that can  possibley give you some relief from your tinnitus and I realize you may be aware of most or all of them, but here they are:

1.  Avoid caffine, alcohol and smoking

2.  Do relaxation exercises -  One I have always done when stressed out is I gradually relax my entire body, starting at my toes and working my way up to my head.  I usually actually fall asleep before I'm done.

3.  I came across something called a tinnitus masker in my research but don't have a clear picture of the cost, how to obtain one and if it is covered by insurance.  I will keep looking.  It is worn like a hearing aid and delivers low level sound directly into the affected ear to cover or disguise the noise bothering you.  Since your tinnitus is not constant, something like this might be of more help than a white noise machine or fish tank

4. Other possibllities are
a. biofeedback
b. acupunture
c. Craniosacral therapy (don't know exactly what this is but will find out)
d. hypnosis
e. vitamins and minerals -- zinc, magnesium, ginko biloba, melatonin (this will also help you sleep) and B vitamins --- apparently there are no studies that prove these will actually help, but some people seem to think they do.

More information in the next few days -- in the meantime, hang in there and don't do anything rash.  As I said they would, there are people on this forum who understand what you are dealing with and  care about you and will support you.  And as I promised I will see if I can find help for you in your area.  I'm a little at a disadvantage not being really  familiar with Pennsylvania, but will do what I can.

There is also an American Tinnitus Association and I am certain they can help you too.  You can contact them at http://www.ata.org

Hang in there,
Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Tumbleweed

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 12:50:36 am »
Hi, Kerri:

So very sorry to hear you are struggling. While I regrettably don't have any quick fixes to suggest, here are a few ideas:

1. I have found that taking niacin reduces tinnitus. It can cause a short-lived flush (for about 15 minutes) which some people find objectionable, but it does increase blood flow to the inner ear, which can decrease tinnitus. Beware taking high doses for an extended period of time, however, because it can cause nausea and damage the liver. I now take niacin only when the tinnitus is so pronounced that I feel I really need the relief.

2. I also find that eating a lot of steamed leafy green vegetables daily cuts my tinnitus volume by about 90%. I presume it's because they are high in vitamin A, but whatever the reason, it works for me!

3. If your current doctors cannot improve your condition, get another doctor! There's always hope when other doctors -- perhaps with more experience with your specific issues -- are available.

4. Consider trying something completely different, such as seeing a naturopathic doctor, accupuncturist or a doctor of Chinese medicine. I really can't say if this would help, but as it sounds like you're at your wits' end and haven't yet found relief, it's worth trying something really different to see if it will help. If you do go to an alternative-medicine doctor, though, just make sure they have a good reputation. Maybe ask people at your local health-food store if there is anyone in your area that has a great track record of helping people with serious medical problems, especially those involving the nervous system.

5. Please make sure you spend some time every day or so outside. Being shut indoors for days on end can cause depression even in people with no medical problems to deal with.

Please stay in touch with this forum. We are the people who understand most what you are going through, as everyone here has at least one of the same -- if not multiple -- problems that are challenging you. We all wish you the best and hope you can find the bright side of things and bounce back.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

tony

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008, 02:46:32 am »
To KLANGEL
I saw your original post, clearly you have some major issues there
- you must be very worried.
On another site there was a guy who had two major OPs
- the outcomes put him in a mental hospital for six months
Amazingly even the experianced staff there thought they
could "talk" him out of it....
So lets talk practical for a moment
Many changes to your body/balance system
Generally its best to accept the changes
- work around them, then retrain the new system
(I was left in a wheelchair post OP
- but now I can play 36 holes unassisted)
So quiet/safe balance exercises
anything you enjoy - Yoga, Ballet, light gym ?
In your own time, at your own pace.
Early days it will tire you
- but it gets better and better
Within your day-to-day life I think you are trying
too hard at things that now much changed
I simply avoid the busy places
- where my hearing will make life complex
I tend work and talk one2one - when its quiet
I have an amplified phone for work use
But I dont do the "old" job
(lets face it if I were to collapse on the Paris ring road
life might get very complicated...)
I also did some lipreading classes
- helps alot with reduced hearing
Beyond this look at the stressors
- the causes of the stress
Look at ways to reduce them
Finally REST
The new "overloaded" system gets tired quick
I have found - you set aside a quiet place
to sit - EYES SHUT for about ten minutes
This is worth about 4 hrs sleep
Given whats happened I am suggesting
maybe 95% recovery is possible
but it will take time
Good Luck in your recovery
Best Regards
Tony

calimama

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2008, 06:52:07 am »
Kerri,

I saw your post the other day and was kind of blown away. I felt sad for you, powerless to help, and reaffirmed that we all have our issues here, some worse than others.

I am glad to skim through the responses and see that the wonderful people who come to this site have openned their arms and hearts to your plight. I can't imagine have gotten through this past year without the support of these people. I think it's always a good idea to start by counting your blessing, and i can see that in the many responses and good advise, there is much to count here.

I like to think of myself as one of the luckier (not lucky, but luckier) ones who had surgery. This is coming from someone who sits here with a half paralyzed face! I am 39 and, despite knowing the risks, really thought i would escape this. I also have a baby (toddler now), who i kissed goodbye the night before surgery, so desparate to see again when the surgery was over. I made it, but it was not easy, and there are still challenges.

I can't begin to know all the things you are going through and hope that the advise here helps on some fronts. I can only say that there are things we can control, and things we cannot. There are also things we can fix a little, and those things can help a lot.

I hope that you can push forward to get the help and care that you need, it sounds challenging, but you are obviously a survivor, having made it this far through so much. I too have tinnitus that sometimes is soooo noisey, and other times i dont even notice. I will try to eat more leafy greens (as someone here suggested), i should do this anyway!! I already avoid, as best i can noisey places that set it off, but sometimes i cannot (like i have to ride the subway twice a day to get to work). In these times, i get a book and just try to lose myself from the noise and looks from people who stare because i am wearing an eye patch and my face does not move on one side. In many ways, you can make your own reality, you have the power. A good attitude and coping strategies can go along way.

Now, pain is another thing, and something i really haven't much problem with and I don't live in the US so i can't speak for the health or social systems. I hope you can get much needed help here.

And i am sorry to hear of the struggles you have faced as a mom, this must be so tough, but i hope that one day (sooner rather than later) you will be on the other side of this and a happy ending will prevail.

good things to you.

Trish in Toronto Canada

Good luck to you, do what you can to help yourself and don't give up.

Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

klangel

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2008, 07:40:38 am »
wow! i can hardly believe all the supportive response and ideas that all of you have provided on this forum. i have tried alot of the suggestions, continue to implement some of them (especially the alternative medicine) and will certainly take it that extra mile in order to fall in love with my life once more. thanks for being there. i dont even know why i stopped  being involved with this forum. probably the house renovation and my daughter moving in. but im glad to be back. i think its keeping me saner.i contacted the support group coordinater in hopes that i will be able to form a support group in my area as none exist here. ill lay dollars to doughnuts that there are folks here feeling as misunderstood, frustrated and isolated as i do. it would do us a world of good im sure if only to vent. as for the supplements i take them as regularly as i can.(swallowing issues and the liquid versions are just too expensive) cant do the niacin thing though because of liver disease. i have to be careful.im going to stock up on the leafy greens though. i think i may check out the accupuncture as they offer it at the integrative med center i visit for my massage therapy, chiropractic, biocranial and lymphatic drainage treatments which btw do help somewhathopefully it will be covered by insurance otherwise i cant go. i really want to love life again like i used to and feel like im a productive person and not just a usurper of air that others could be using. my art is the only real thing that helps everything but got no place to work or store stuff. always on the back burner but not for long. i am now determined to find a place and a way whatever it takes! thanks for the inspiration! all of you.  with grattitude and love, kerri

wendysig

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2008, 02:19:40 pm »
Hi Kerri,

I thought the following exercises might help deal with your balance issues -- they are exercises I learned in PT and have helped me a lot.  I started PT three weeks post-op and used a cane for about the first 10 weeks or so after surgery.  I  stilll have some balance issues but they are very much improved.

I don't have diagrams or a print out, but here are the exercises I've been doing for improved balance.  I do three sets of each.  If you need to hold onto something for support at first, rely on the least amount of support you can and eventually do these exercises without holding onto anything -- you can start with your eyes open and as the exercises become easier, try to  close your eyes for the appropriate exercises:

Stand in front of the kitchen counter or a chair  with your feet together, arms crossed  over your chest  for 30 seconds.

Stand on each leg, first with your knee up at a 90 degree angle, and again with your knee bent so that  your lower leg is behind you also at 90 degrees  Do each exercise on both legs.

Stand heel to toe,, three sets for 30 seconds each,  alternating left and right as the front foot

Stand on a firm foam block or two pillows feet together for 30 seconds.  If you can't stand with your feet together, stand with them slightly apart but closer than shoulder width and build up to standing with feet together.

For the next  couple of exercises, you need someone to guard you:

Stand with your arms ourstretched in front of you at shoulder heihgt  and march in place -- really lift your kness as much as you can without losing your balance.  After getting  your bearing, close your eyes and march for 2 minutes.  The object of the exercise is to stay facing forward and not travel.  Don't get discouraged if this doesn't happen right away.  I still travel  and tend to turn to the right (my AN side).

If  you have exercise cones great, if not, I use water bottles for the next exercise.  You will probably need someone to hold onto your hips for this one at first.  Eventually you will be able to do thiis exercise without support:

If you have a balance board or plan to get one, try to stand on it, keeping it even for 3 sets of 30 seconds each at first, gradually increasing as much as possible.

Arrange three cones/water bottles (20 oz)  about  three inches  in front of you, one very slightly to the left of your left foot, the next about 6 inches away directly in front of you and the last slightly right of your right foot about three inches in front of you.  Tap each cone/bottle, first going from left to right and then riight to left with each foot.  as you get better at this exercise, move the cones/bottles out firther -- it's more challenging.

Have someone stand behind you with a ball and pass it back and forth, twisting left and right as you pass it over your shoulder in one  direction and bending and passing at about knee height in the other direction -- this can defintely make you very dizzy.

Walking is great exercise for balance and pretty much everything else :

Walk at a comfortable pace looking right and left and up and down as much as you find tolerable.  This may make you feel evern more off-balance, but my doctor assures me it strengthens the vestibular (balance) system.  Waling on different surfaces is also good -- instead of the sidewalk, walk in the grass, up and down hills,etc.

The following are eye exercises -- you will need two highlighters or magic markers for some of them:

Hold  highlighters or markers at about shoulder height and width.  Turn your head left and right as fast as you find tolerable for three sets of two minutes each.

Hold one highligter directly in front of your nose, almost touching it.  Hold the other an arm length away direcly in front of the one near your nose.  Focus on the highlighter closest to you -- if you're doing this right (I find this one very hard) the highlighter iin hte background will appear as two highlighters or you will at least be able to see part of it on either side of the one closest to you.

Sit in a chair and lean over so that you are facing the floor and shake your head as fast as you can -- three sets for 1 1/2 minutes each.  This will probably make you very  dizzy at first but gets better.

Tape a business card to the wall  and sit in  a chair about 2 feet away.  Turn your head left and right, keeping the card in focu for three sets of 2 minutes.  Repeat this exercise looking  up and down, keeping the card in focus and epeat this exercise.

Write an uppercase letter on a 3" X 3" post-it note and stick it to the wall.  Sti in a chair about 8 feet away and follow the exercises shown above.

This exercise is meant to simulate movement in  crowds:

Take a sheet of 8 1/2 X 11 paper and either draw or print out 10 columns in different colors.  Hold the paper directly in front of your face (Just a couple of inches away) focus on one column and movethe paper rapidly back and forth for three sets of 30 seconds.  As this becoimes more tolerable to look at, make the columns thinner and aldd more columns.

I also recently started doing ballet exercises with a friend who is a dance teacher.  These are too detailed to try to explain, but there are dvds you can get on line if you're interested.  I don't know how good they are or how good/bad your balance is, so this is just a suggestion.

I hope the things I've described help you and I'd be interested to know how you are doing, so keep in touch.

Best wishes,
Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »
Kerri,
I googled this up on csf leaks and a treatment called a "blood patch."

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/central/csf-leak.html

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1688

The tinnitus you are complaining about may be coming from the csf leak and if you can get this resolved maybe the headaches and tinnitus will resolve, too.  Your surgeon needs to know what kind of shape he has left you in and that the leak he repaired may have become active again.  I am sure he would want to know this about a former patient of his! Please don't put yourself at risk for meningitis for very much longer without getting this taken care of.  I'm sure your family wants you feeling better, too.

Hugs,

Capt Deb
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 04:11:08 pm by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2008, 04:23:35 pm »
Hi Kerri,
A leak is an important thing to take care of. I had this problem... see link.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=7179.0

Does that  sound like you? Just a thought?
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

klangel

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2008, 05:38:12 pm »
ha! firstly i cannot go back to nyc to  see those docs who did my surgery. cant get there and not an option. actually the way i was treated aftertward makes me never want to even lay eyes on those 2 again. they wouldnt even fill out my disability forms! had to request the disability doctors to get it done. and secondly have seen 4 other docs since then and reported everyhting. i guess no one is so concerned so maybe i souldnt be either, i dont know . all i know is that i leak, not sure why but it never was like this prior to surgey. maybe im just being foolish or an alarmist and it is just a leaky nostril although i do wonder why only one would do this. do any of you think that sounds right?

Kaybo

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2008, 05:50:03 pm »
Kerri~
My nose "leaks" (if you want ot call it that) TERRIBLE when I bend over - like pulling weeds - or  any time I exert any energy or get the least bit hot.  It onlyb occurs on the AN side and I most certainly did NOT have this problem before surgery.  I have to get an extra towel at the gym each morning just for my nose (gross, I know).  I have NEVER thought of this as a CSF leak...just a result of the surgery.  We discussed this in another thread and apparently a LOT of other people experience this after surgery also.  Are you sure this is a leak?  I thought that I read where yours also occurs only in those situations... ???   ???

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

wendysig

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2008, 06:41:45 am »
Hi Kerri -
I've had  more occasions where my nose was runny and eyes teared for no apparent reason since my surgery,but never considered it a leak to be concerned about because I had no other symptoms most o fthe time, no headache, no salty taste in my mouth, etc.  I have noticed that my nose has a tendancy to run a little if I stay in abent over position for a prolonged period of time like when I'm gardening,  but Ithink that's just gravity.   The last  few days it's been pretty cold here and when I went walking my eyes especially teared  like crazy amy nose ran, but it didn't leak as much as my eyes.  I don't remember this happening to this extent prior to my surgery, so like everyone else, I just attributed it to some residual weakness from the surgery.  This is not meant to suggest you don't have a CSF leak, it is very possible that you do if you think you do.  Just examine the leak and how it corresponds  to everything else you are doing and that is going on.  If you truly are convinced it is a CSF leak, you should find a doctor where you live now to address it.

Best wishes,
Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2008, 10:51:00 am »
Hi Kerry,
I couldn't leave town without leaving you a post as I have prayed for you every night since reading your story.
These are the things that saved me from myself when I was down and out and felt like life wasn't worth living.......
Get outdoors. Even if it is cold the fresh air will do you good.
Find a GOOD doctor. There are plenty of them out there so keep searching. If you have to go to the ER and refuse to leave until they run test to see if you have a leak then do it.
Find a hobby and focus on that. If you love to paint then try to find happiness doing that. Don't let your condition control you....YOU control it and find things that you can do at your own pace.
Don't be afraid to take antidepressants...If one doesn't work...try another.
Get rest even if it means taking a non habit form sleeping medicine. Calm Forte is an herbal sleep medicine that works for my husband. It is OTC. If you are not well rested then your body can't heal and you will continue to feel like s***. Trust me on this was because after my surgery I would be awake from 2am on every night and when I started getting sleep I was a totally different person and better able to cope.
Eat healty. 3 solid meals. I was on a feeding tube for 6 weeks after surgery so this took care of that because I got ensure down the tube but it was good nutrition. If you don't feel like eating at least choke down an Ensure. Better if really cold and with ice or do what I did and make a shake out of it with ice cream or frozen yogurt.
Find a pain management doctor. Once you get your pain under control then life won't seem so bad. Pain can lead to depression, sleep loss, anxiety, can run your body down. Get treatment!
You feel overwhelmed with everything right now so prioritize. Say okay today I am going to make an appointment with #1 the pain doc. then #2 ..... Take baby steps. You don't have to get it all done in a day but I would imagine you are in such a depressed, pain ridden state that you probably don't even want to get out of bed much less get on the phone. If this is the case. Delegate tasks. I'm good at this one. Tell your husband you need help. Or if you have kids old enough.......have them get to the yellow pages and do it for you. Sometimes you just can't do it all alone. I needed LOTS of help and wasn't afraid to ask for it.
Take time to RELAX. Lights off, light candles, deep breathe and focus on YOU. Also I read where you wonder if God is just mean or even there at all. This is normal to feel this way. I have been a believer all of my life...a very devout christian and after my surgery I was MAD, Mad, MAD! I questioned God, I screamed at him, etc. "Why me?" Everyone goes through this I am sure. BUT please know that God is there and pray anyway. He is listening. God loves you, your kids love you, there are people that need you and sometimes even when we don't want to live we have to decide that we are not going to be selfish because when we are gone think about the sufferings of your children, your husband. You think you're in pain......think about the Pain/heartache you will cause them if you were to take your life. That thought also kept me going when I felt like dying after surgery when I awoke with facial paralysis and swallowing paralysis. I would always say..........Hunter ya'lls (sorry from Arkansas..ya'll) life would be so much easier and pleasant without me. I hated life. I still have down days.....probably more bad days than good but I do it for my family and because I know that God has a plan for me. Find that inner strength any way you can.
Exercise.........Just a slow walk to the mailbox, go to a park and sit with a good book......that's another thing read positive material. Lots of good books out there that teach coping mechanisms. Or just read a good ole fashion fiction to take your mind off of things! Skipping Christmas by John Grisham is a funny book. Laughter is good medicine. Watch funny movies. Do what makes you feel good. Yes I am rambling but so much I wanted to say before I leave for a week without access to you. Be good to yourself. And last but not least here's some medical information for you to read about CSF leaks.......
Much love and I do know where you are coming from.......been there.
I can't get the medical stuff to copy so will include that in another post.
Angie (crookedsmile)

« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 10:54:38 am by CROOKEDSMILE »

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2008, 11:07:37 am »
CSF LEAK INFORMATION:
Symptoms
Symptoms may include:
A headache that is worse when you sit up and improves when you lay down
Drainage from the ear (rarely)
Runny nose

Exams and Tests
Diagnosis is usually based on your history of injury, surgery, or lumbar puncture.
Tests may include:
Injection of a radioisotope in the spinal fluid to track the leakage
MRI
X-ray with contrast dye
Treatment
Depending on the cause of the leak, many cases go away on their own after a few days. Complete bed rest for several days is usually recommended.
Headache may be treated with pain relievers and fluids. If the headache lasts longer than a week after a lumbar puncture, a procedure may be done to block the hole that may be leaking fluid. This is called a blood patch, because a blood clot can be used to clog the leak. In most cases, this makes symptoms go away. Rarely, surgery is needed to repair a tear in the dura and stop the headache.
If symptoms of infection occur (fever, chills, change in mental status), antibiotic therapy is needed.
 (Prognosis)
The outlook is usually good depending on the cause. Most cases heal by themselves with no lasting symptoms.
Kerri.......this is what they usually do in the doctor's office to test you for a leak...............
An easy test that we do in the hospital is to check the drainage for glucose (sugar) with a little strip diabetics use to check their glucose level. If it's positive for glucose, then it's CSF as nasal mucus contains no glucose.
Hope this helps, xoxoxoxox! Angie
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 11:09:13 am by CROOKEDSMILE »