Author Topic: An old father is seeking to save his daughter’s life  (Read 2446 times)

noon99

I'm a citizen live in Guiyang City, Guizhou Province, China. My 25 years old daughter got acoustic neuroma (5×5×4cm), and underwent total tumor removal in the neurosurgery in a hospital in our province on February 3rd, 2005. After the surgery, the patient exhibited no obvious abnormity except for swallow, lots of mouth secretion, difficulty, and mycotic infection.

Two weeks after the surgery (the day after taking out stitches), the patient underwent hyperbaric oxygen chamber therapy, with accompany of her family member. During the process of pressurization, I found my daughter in a coma, so I asked to relax the pressure. My daughter exhibit agrypnodal coma and mydriasis on left eye, but heartbeat and breath continued.

After six days in coma, she underwent centesis on right ventricle of brain to drain fluid, and came round on the second day.

Two days later, however, the venous cannula under right clavicle was pulled out because of an operation mistake by the nurse of intensive care unit (ICU). My daughter exhibit shock, diabetes insipidus, and unstable body temperature (alternated low temperature and high temperature). My daughter was lethargic most of the time, and averagely 50mL fluid was drained each day from right ventricle of brain.

Two weeks later, the drainage tube was pulled out. Cerebrospinal fluid exchange was made through waist puncture. And 20mg amikacin (BBK8) were injected into meddula sheath each day。

Four days later, she had a sudden mydriasis in left eye. CT reported hydrocephalus on left side and a lot of flake like low density shadow. (Doctors could not diagnose whether they were cerebral thrombus, infection, or necrosis.) Then she underwent centesis on right ventricle of brain to drain fluid. The chest CT showed lots of spot or patch like shadows. Fiberoptic bronchoscopy showed tracheal mucous membrane hyperaemia and edema; cartilaginous ring were not shown; both left and right bronchus were narrow caused by swelling. The cut on the trachea may eject watery and hemic secretion when coughing. Culture of cerebrospinal fluid showed no bacteria, but culture of sputum showed growth of mycete. White cell count was normal.

My daughter's life is now in danger. I plead proper treatment from expert, to save her young life.

My deepest thanks,

Father of the patient, Zheng Wu
March 19, 2005

E-mail:wzheng@cottoninc.com
c.c.: gong47@eyou.com,noon99@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn, shadowtree@eyou.com

Supplementary information:
1. She was given hyperbaric oxygen, because it was believed to help restore the function of nervous system. However the basis of it is not well known.
2. She was not given any radiation treatment, and her tumor was completely resected.
3. She received steroid for longtime, which did cause a fungal infection.
4. She had CT scan of the chest, which shows infection and inhalation, which was caused by eating because she cannot swallow.
5. The fungus isolated from her sputum was oidiomycetes.
6. Spinal fluid analysis as cell count, protein or glucose had been done, according to which her doctor think that there were both infection and stroke--mainly stroke. However the doctor thinks that she cannot endure a MIR.
7. She received intrathecal antibiotics to raise local bactericidal action
8. She has been using mannitol since hydrocephalus
Mr. Wu thinks a current important issue is to restore the function of her wandering nerve and swallowing nerve.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 02:24:12 am by noon99 »

Raydean

Re: An old father is seeking to save his daughter’s life
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 05:21:48 am »
Dear Mr. Zheng Wu

I am so sorry that your daughter is having such a difficult time with so many complications.  i wish that I had a answer medically for you, but I'm not a doctor.  I do want you to know that your daughter, yourself and family are in my thoughts and prayers.  I am sure that many members of this forum are also concerned and have you in their positive thoughts and prayers.

Please keep us updated
Sincerely
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

noon99

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 07:31:00 am »
Dear Raydean,

Thanks for your concern.

I am trying every avild ways to lead her back to our family.

Thank you again.

Regards!

Wu

SKT

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 08:53:30 am »
I am fairly new to this site and am reviewing older messages.  I was quite distressed to hear all the problems your daughter encountered.  I would be pleased to hear that she is now out of danger and recovering well?

SKT