Author Topic: Hearing aid may not help  (Read 2307 times)

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
Hearing aid may not help
« on: October 30, 2008, 04:20:31 pm »
I had my hearing evaluated 2 wks ago. It's worse on paper than I expected. I can hear many sounds, but there are some that I don't hear at all, such as the crickets at night. I know I have some word recognition.

My question...Is there anyone with some hearing left in the AN ear that tried hearing aids, but found them useless?

My audiologist doesn't think I'm a candidate for a hearing aid, but suggested I try one anyway.  I will see my ENT next month and want her advice before I spend any money.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

jazzfunkanne

Re: Hearing aid may not help
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 04:51:30 pm »
Hi i had a hearing aid in my AN ear and got on well with it, my hearing was down alot.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 12:33:26 am »
Lucky me, I get to hear crickets any time I want, day or night. They are everywhere! (My tinnitus, in case you're wondering).

I have been wearing a hearing aid about six months, and it helps. It is not perfect, but it is especially good with voices. You do need to have pretty good word recognition, otherwise you just hear loud distortion instead of soft distortion. My hearing is down a good 50-60 Db in my AN ear, over all the highs and middles, and even some in the lows. Without an aid, I can't hear much of anything with it. With amplification, I can hear conversations quite well, and can pick out a high pitched bird call 100 yards away - although I can't tell which direction it is, because I hear it only in the amplified ear.

I think mine came with a 30 or 60 day trial, where you can give it back and get a full refund. I did have to pay upfront for it, though. I decided to keep it, because it helped so much with conversations - much less use of "what" required. The modern digital aids are pretty good, if you have any hearing left to work with that isn't distorted.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 12:06:20 pm »
Thanks Jazz and Steve. It gives me hope.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 07:58:05 pm »
HI there,

I got a Miracle Ear hearing aid when I was around 22 or 23.  The AN was most likely very small at that time (undiagnosed, of course).  My aid helped out for approx. 3-4 years until it was hard to hear with that as well.  Of course, it was because my hearing was progressively getting worse with the growing AN.  I also work in surgery (noisy) so even with a "top of the line" digital aid, it didn't help me to recognize words.  I already was experiencing poor word recognition and a hearing aid will not help that.   

Good luck to you :)

Amy  :)
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

wcrimi

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 03:21:40 pm »
How much does the typical high quality hearing aid cost?
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

LADavid

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 09:50:12 pm »
Hi Syl
I have no hearing in my AN ear and only about 50% in my "good" ear.  I wear a hearing aid in that ear.  Aids do the best they can.  They amplify sound -- all of it.  If you're in a conversation with someone in a noisy restaurant -- you not only get what's being said to you -- plus what's being said to everyone else and the Muzak system.  But in public, I couldn't survive without it.  I believe mine is the top of the line -- a Widex Inteo -- it runs $2,700 -- I wore a loaner of less quality while the order for mine was placed.  It was not comparable.  But if you have decent hearing in your "good" ear, I would not go to the extreme that I had to.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments