Author Topic: I'm Home, Surgery is OVER  (Read 7274 times)

wcrimi

I'm Home, Surgery is OVER
« on: November 11, 2008, 08:17:50 am »
I want to thank everyone for their prayers and kind wishes.

The surgery was a sucsess. The entire tumor was rempoved and at least some functionality was retained in the hearing nerve in the bad ear.  I would estimate it's about 50% now, but the doctors have suggested that that is likely to improve in the next 4 weeks. The ultimate result will not be known for several weeks after further healing and hearing tests are done.

As a bonus, typically in these cases I was told the patient losses two functional balance nerves on the impacted side which get compensated for over time by the other side of the brain .  I don't now how he did it, but DR.Post managed to save what he believes will be at least partial or full use of one (much rarer but harder to be test).  That means when I am fully healed, it is likely my balance wil be even better than for the typical patient.  He said from a neurological perspective, if you looked at 1000 acoustic neuroma cases, my result was somewhere in the top 50.  I paid for him out of pocket because I was told I was getting the Michael Jordan of this condition....well it appears hit hit the game winner. 

Right now my balance is poor. I need to walk with support, but I'm getting around well enough and even bathed myself.  I also have some transitional symptoms with double vision in some fields.  If that does not correct in time, (and the doctors think it will), we can cope with glasses. The doctors feel it was not a result of the surgery because they were nowhere near those nerves, but the surgery mave heightend some other visual wekaness that already existed or irritated a nerve temporarily. 

The major obstacle was that on the day of  my scheduled release, a medium sized kideny stone decided to move (nice timing huh). I was in such pain that they had to give me something stronger than morphine for relief. It did not pass and has moved to a sensitive area, but is pain free now. It  will be be have to dealt with shortly. I'l start talking to my urologist later today. 

I feel well enough today to thank you  all again.

I'll log on from time to time, but not often given how much I still have to deal with.   

THanks for all the support.

You can contact me here but my responses will be very limited. I need rest.   

Wayne

(Hi Wayne! Congrats to you and being a postie!  Just FYI only... I had to remove your personal email address here... not allowed  to be publically noted but folks are more than welcome to PM you here where you can share the info with them. Please get some rest... and again, congrats to you! Phyl)

« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 08:44:32 am by ppearl214 »
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Denisex2boys

Re: I'm Home, Surgery is OVER
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 08:29:18 am »
Congrats to your successful surgery and your recovery!  I am 4 weeks out this week - and I am feeling much, much better!

Just remember to REST and sleep -
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 05:15:58 pm »
Wayne:

My heartfelt congratulations on your successful surgery.  I agree, you hit the jackpot with Dr. Post.  I trust the vision and balance deficits will slowly but surely improve and you'll be in great shape by Christmas or early next year.  We can all understand your need to rest and recuperate as well as deal with the kidney stone problem.  Just know that we're thinking about you and many will continue to pray for your complete recovery. 

Post when you can.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 07:43:30 pm »
Wayne -

glad to hear your surgery is over and you're on the road to recovery.

Your balance will be "off" for a while, but you'll get there.

Fatigue is a big issue post op, so rest and don't overdo.

Stop in when you can.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 08:02:35 pm »
Hey Wayne,
Welcome to the other side.  Sleep, eat, walk and nap, like a terrier.  I hope you heal well and fast.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 09:16:46 pm »
Best wishes, Wayne.

I don't envy you the kidney stone, I passed a little one some years ago, and I think I would choose having another AN over having another one of those.  :P

Take your time recovering, it will get much better.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 06:42:17 am »
Hi Wayne,
I'm glad to hear your surgery went so well.  You have been very much on my mind.  Sorry to hear abou the kidney stone, it sounds awful -- talk about timing.  Take care of yourself, rest often and be paiient.  These are the keys to a quick recovery, in my opinion anyway.

Wishing you all the best for an uneventful recovery,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 06:54:35 am »
Great news Wayne and I'm very glad you were able to post here so soon, this says much about how you feel right out of the "chute"! 

I know all too well (well it's my hubby actually) about kidney stones as he has had them just about every other year for the last 15 years!  He has a huge one in his kidney that keeps "calving" a smaller one.  He doesn't have the excrutiating pain that accompanies the movement of the stone as he's built up scar tissue over the years.  I hope yours will "pop" out quickly to give you more relief.  These little buggars cause so much pain, similar to labor pains, it's too bad they don't produce something worth the effort like a diamond or ruby! 

Stay well and I hope your recovery is a speedy one in the balance area. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 05:31:51 pm »
Wayne-

So glad to hear that your surgery was a smashing success.  Get lots of rest and visit when you can.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Carson

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 09:26:28 am »
Wayne,

My thoughts and prayers are with you!!  Congrats on your road to recovery!  My father is now a little over a week...just went to dr today to get stitches removed.....REST REST REST......the best three words of advise I can give you!!!  Good Luck!!
Loving daughter to my
Father recovering from AN surgery
9/4/08 at The Ohio State University Medical Center
Dr. Welling and Dr. McGregor
GO BUCKS!!!

wcrimi

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 06:58:50 am »
I'm feeling better overall. 

As of yesterday, my balance, strength, occasional bouts with difficulty focusing (double vision), foggy feeling etc... were improving.  I'd guess I've had about 50% of my hearing in the bad ear (maybe more).  I could still hear an occasional pulsing, high pitched sound or hissing in the ear and it also felt clogged on that side a lot of the time but the symptoms in general were improving. 

Yesterday, I went to have the stitches removed. I was having by far my best day ever when I saw Dr. Post.  He said I'm doing great and that all these symptoms would probably settle down in coming weeks (I am only 2 weeks out of surgery). The clogged feelling went away and my hearing was probably 75%. I was totally thrilled. 

Everything was going great yesterday until late last night when the hissing/ringing clogged feeling in my ear went into overdrive late in the evening.  It was so loud I couldn't get to sleep and could hardly hear with that ear. For some reason, it stopped again after a couple of hours. I got to sleep, but I woke up with the same loud sounds and bad hearing.  I'm hoping this is just a short 1 step back, 2 step forward process.  :(

« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 10:26:16 am by wcrimi »
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

wendysig

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 08:42:01 am »
Hi Wayne,

I think the reason for the clogged feeling in your ear is probably from post-surgical swelling.  My doc mentioned this to me and said it should settle down once the internal swelling is gone.  I am 3 1/2 montrhs post-op and  this feeling has been coming and going for a couple of weeks now, and each time my ear feel normal a little bit longer (although I am SSD as a result of my translab surgery).  Hopefully the same will be true for you too, although it seems to be happening more quickly.  The difference may be that  I had translab you had middle fossa so we may not have all of the same issues with swelling in exactly  the same areas.   I'm very happy for you that all in all you seem to be doing very well.  Obviously, you made all the right choices for you!  Congratulations!!! ;D

Wishing you continued good healing,
Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

wcrimi

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 11:29:09 am »
I basically still feel the same after a little over two weeks. 

The operated side still feels kind of clogged most of the time and a lot of the time I feel a little foggy. It's sort of like when you first wake up and feel like you need a cup of coffee to get going except that I feel that way all day long. It usually gets worse after I do some reading or spend time on the internet.  I just relax for awhile and close my eyes.  I guess that helps a little.

My balance was improving very rapidly for the first 10 days or so, but now the improvement seems to have either stalled or gone backwards a bit. I'm steady enough to not fall, but I start veering off here or there when I'm not paying attention.

The other night my trouble focusing my eyes totally vanished (which made me happy), but the problem was back yesterday and continued today. 

I was very encouraged about my progress after he first 10 days and felt sure I'd be able to return to work after 4-5 weeks. That was the recovery period suggested to me in one of my consultations, what I told work, and what the note I got from the surgeon suggested. But I'm a lot less sure now.  I feel like I'm totally stalled in the last week and not getting any better.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 04:17:31 pm »
Hi Wayne,
I think many of us experience the back and forth nature of this recovery.  After 4 months I have noticed the pattern, but some things are indeed getting better, even when I've relapsed. Nerves are finicky, the brain is complex and the body does what it needs and wants to do.  Sometimes I think I'm so much better and then the next day all bets are off.  It is frustrating but you will get better.  Try to ride the wave and adjust when necessary. 

Marci (from snowy cold Ohio where a surfing analogy is the best I can do)
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 07:35:36 am »
Hi Wayne,
The recovery from surgery is not always steady progress, as you have seen and as Marci has said.  Some days are better than others, sometimes it's two steps forward one step back.  Your surgery was not long ago.  Like you I saw a LOT of improvement in the first few days and weeks and then nothing or a few steps back and then eventually, more progress.  Your body will heal in its own time --  being active when you feel up to it and getting the rest you need will help.  Patience is a key factor in recovery.  I've always said and will always think that recovery from this surgery is a lesson in patience.

Best wishes,
Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!