Author Topic: newly diagnosed  (Read 4218 times)

marcy

newly diagnosed
« on: March 31, 2005, 08:38:36 pm »
I was just diagnosed with an AN three weeks ago.  I have just visited an ent dr. and have an appointment with a neurologist that he recommended.  I live in Las Vegas and also have made an appointment with Dr. D. Brackman at the House cliinic.  Has anyone used him and what can you tell me.  My AN is approx. 2 cm.  It is starting to press on the cerebelum.  I'm not sure if I am going about this the correct way.  Also, does anyone know of a support group in the Las Vegas area.  What problems can I expect to have after the surgery.  The ent dr feels that the  best surgical treatment for me would be the Translabyrinthine approach.  What information does anyone have on this?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 08:49:01 pm by marcy »

alwaysanonymous

• just hold your head up high and be brave!
Re: newly diagnosed
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 10:30:24 pm »
here is a list of support groups when you clik on the linkhttp://www.anausa.org/local_groups.html you are in luck because there is one in las vegas! as for your other questions, you have to make sure you feel comfortable with whatever doctor you choose and ask alot of questions and take alot of notes. after the surgery, you may be deaf on the tumor side, have bell's paulsy(where the tumor side droops and often times you cant blink your eye or smile), and you will have to relearn how to walk. also, you may have trouble swallowing(i have only heard of myself and one other person having this issue so i guess its rare so i wouldnt worry about it too much or at all). well i hope i have answered most of your questions and good luck on your journey with an AN, it wont be tto long i hope

Becky

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 06:42:25 am »
Hi.  I have heard excellent things about HEI. 

I had translab surgery (elsewhere) and you will be deaf on the tumor side.  Surgeon told me this approach will not cause headaches, as it does not require much brain retraction as do the other surgical methods.  Translab is said to offer the best view of the facial nerve so as to preserve facial function. 

After the surgery my face was completely paralyzed on the surgery side.  After about a month it started making good progress.  I felt the dizziness/swimminess 24/7 until about the 3rd month.  I felt I was cured by about 16 weeks post-op, and by that time my face had completely recovered.  I still bump into the walls sometimes in the mornings from imbalance, but all-in-all people can have very good outcomes in the hands of good doctors who are excellent surgeons.  Your remaining balance nerve will compensate, but you will never quite be as you were before you had the AN. 

Also, translab does not include the cutting of muscles as do the other surgical methods.  It mostly involves drilling thru the mastoid bone.  You should not have neck problems after the surgery, except for possibly some initial soreness from the positioning of the head during surgery.  Your AN is probably too large for the mid fossa method, which would leave the possibility of translab or suboccipital/retrosigmoid.

I think you've made a good decision about where to have the surgery, and translab is a good choice.  You will be in good hands.

Radiosurgery is also an option for tumors that are not too large.

Good Luck!
Becky
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 11:44:35 am by Becky »

dixie

watching & waiting
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 11:03:30 am »
Hi - I am "watching & waiting" and was wondering if there are any folks out there who are doing the same?  Would like to hear from you.....

Jsoule

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 05:24:30 pm »
Hi Marcy, I had translab surgery september30,2004. My surgeons were Dr Brackmann and Dr. Hitzelberg. They have a wonderful reputation and the staff at St. Vincents Hospital was exceptional. My tumor was removed 100%. I did not have any facial weakness which was something I was scared about, and the unsteady balance improved after flying home. Driving and walking on uneven surfaces  is still alittle bit off, but something I can still improve on with lots of walking and challenging myself to do more. I wish you well in your decisions to be made. You will get through this...Julie